Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,904,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Well, I've been married, but almost don't count it. Married the wrong woman, of course. Wasted the best years of my life with her (my 30's). Its a shame because I wanted kids. Now 47, it all seems very unlikely. I'm not happy being single. Completely unfulfilled and feeling like I missed my chance.

I worry about this too. I may need some major back surgery and I have nobody. I hate that. I'm relationship oriented too. Its not like I'm so set in my ways, happy being single, and don't want a woman or marriage.
Don't give up. My fiancé was 58 when he met me--so he still counts while we wait to get married--but he also thought it was really unlikely that he would ever get married, and he really really wanted to get married too; was very unhappy being single. Was engaged a couple times but never married, no children either. He got so fixed with the idea that he would never have a family that he "adopted"(more or less, for lack of a good word) a family of his own (to share holidays, birthdays, etc). So it can happen, probably when you're not expecting or looking for it like he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Pew research, 2012 data says 7% of women and 8% of men at age 64 are never married.

The big question is why. Do they not want to be or not know how to find each other?
Probably some of both. Some people might just never find someone to be with. I thought it would be that way for me, and my fiancé with him--and it still might be that way if something happens before we get married! I really didn't know how to find someone because I'm real picky about the other person, have strange, niche interests which not too many people share, and am really introverted (don't enjoy being around other people very much, so joining groups--especially with how low the chances, based on experience, are with finding someone when you're looking--was pretty much out). So I may end up in the category of "do not know how to find each other", if things don't work out with my fiancé. There are disadvantages to being with someone just as there are disadvantages to being alone, but having been in both situations, I would prefer to be with someone.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 11-08-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:28 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,484,066 times
I am over 50, never married, no children, and an only child of an only child to boot. Not a lot of blood relatives around. I find I have to make my own sense of family which is not biologically based. Friends, neighbors, fellow church members, coworkers, etc.

I am in a long term relationship for just over five years now. He's also never married, no kids. We're like minded on the concept of marriage.

Don't worry or obsess about the future.

Last edited by Easybreezy; 11-08-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 12:38 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,886,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I'm one. I decided not to have children when I was five years old. If you don't want kids the not getting married part is pretty much mandatory.
That is patently untrue. Just check out all the threads on CD from people who don't want kids and are looking for relationships, including marriage with like minded people. My ex-husband and I both agreed on the no kid thing. We weren't the only couple with those beliefs by a long shot, and many men are ecstatic when they meet women who don't want kids. Marriage is not all about procreation

Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,275,888 times
I have no children, but was happily married for a time. I was single most of my adult life, and was overall content with that. I never wanted to take on the task of raising kids, but did reach a point where I rather missed having a relationship with someone. Started dating a lady and we were on & off until one day we decided it didn't make much sense to keep up 2 households, and moved in together. Five years later at age 48 (she was 60) we married. We had 11 more years together before she passed away '07.
So, I'm single & alone again, and ok with it. I'm not looking for another relationship, but if it should happen, that's fine too.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:04 PM

7,955 posts, read 12,642,117 times
I've never married, no kids. I have had plenty of relationships one of them early in my life almost resulted in marriage but instead it ended up with my having trust issues.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:37 PM

50,309 posts, read 35,948,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Pew research, 2012 data says 7% of women and 8% of men at age 64 are never married.

Share of Never-Married Adults Diminishes with Age | Pew Research Center

The big question is why. Do they not want to be or not know how to find each other?
It doesn't mean they didn't have a partner, even a life partner. I lived with a man for 15 years, but technically I'm never married. Is it really so different if we were married for 5 years versus living together for 15? It is a different statistic, though.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:47 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,326,610 times
me, 62 1/2 and never married and no children. I also work with a handful of women older than 50 who are childless, never married but a couple married and divorced but single now.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,156,165 times
√ never married
√ no children
√ over 50
√ no worries

Old 11-08-2015, 02:03 PM

14,208 posts, read 14,601,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My son. Has had several live in girl friends over the years but as soon as the subject of marriage and kids came up, he wandered down the road.

Well about two month ago the lightning hit him. Engagement and marriage pending. She is 37 with a 7 year old son. Instant husband and daddy. They do not want additional children.
Forgot to mention. My son is 49.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:46 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
I am sad about the men who have responded, who regret they have no children. The women seem fine with it.
At least you guys could still make it happen in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships