Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,662,335 times

Advertisements

No, you can't expect people to "understand your viewpoints" by using your tone of voice. Your job is to express yourself in a way that people will be open to listening to you, whether they "understand your viewpoints" or not.

Are you still in the same job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,328,706 times
Yes, I'm still in the same job. I do my job efficiently and professionally, everyone knows this.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 AM

162 posts, read 202,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Now, It's true that people judge us by the words we use, and I'm quite articulate. But I was told by a couple of people that I "sound mean", in that I have the propensity to be mean and cruel and yell at people. I'm a teddy bear, and just about everybody who knows me will say that I'm a really nice guy - but I was told by these folks (those who said that I sounded mean) that I have a bit too much "bearing" in my way of talking. A little background: I'm New York born-and-bred, still have the New York tone, even though I haven't lived there in 30 years. I'm a little hurt in that some people may think I'm mean! Get to know someone before you judge them.
Just on the fact that you used the word "propensity", I would sense that you give off the vibe of being seen as mean or condescending. That is what I visualize when I read your post and it had this word in it. If I was talking to you and you said that in our conversation it would come off as sounding that way to me. For example you say to me that "I have the propensity for giving long speeches." I would be thinking what the f**k is this guy talking about and how dare he say these big a$$ words to me in an informal conversation. Do you think you are better than me or something?

Get it? I hope that helps.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:50 AM

No, I don't think I'm better than anyone. Actually, I'm around egotists who may think they are better than me. Just yesterday, I dealt with someone who kept repeating a directive over and over; I let it go but when I get the impression that someone thinks I'm stupid, yeah, I'm gonna speak in a thick, heavy tone.
Larry, Moe, & Curly were rich, famous for playing stooges. I'm nobody's stooge!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
I really don't think it's your voice, it's the way you use it. You admit to having a temper, being required to take anger management, etc. Amd then use phrases like "I want them to understand my viewpoint" etc. You are likely a bit of a verbal bully and intimidate people. But good news, this is something you can change about yourself if you are willing to put some work in and be self reflective.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
No, I don't think I'm better than anyone. Actually, I'm around egotists who may think they are better than me. Just yesterday, I dealt with someone who kept repeating a directive over and over; I let it go but when I get the impression that someone thinks I'm stupid, yeah, I'm gonna speak in a thick, heavy tone.
Larry, Moe, & Curly were rich, famous for playing stooges. I'm nobody's stooge!
Even this comes off really aggressive

Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Even this comes off really aggressive
How so? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm reading your posts and trying to learn something.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
How so? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm reading your posts and trying to learn something.
Well it was aggressive in the way you declared you wouldn't be a stooge...your choices of bolding specific words, your assersion other people are aggressive, not you. Showing a lack of ability to cope with someone repeating a directive (come on, suck it up, control your anger here).

It just seemed quite angry.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,358,105 times
Quote:
I just ask that people understand my viewpoints. In my way of thinking, I could be wrong in what I bring to the table (and at times I am), but what if I'm right?
You aren't. You sound like an opinionated boor who demands attention and insists that you are right no matter what.

I'd avoid you like the plague.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,358,105 times
Quote:
I'm around egotists who may think they are better than me.
They are, if they are mature adults who don't have the propensity to get loud and angry over stupid sh*t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships