Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:00 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,875,494 times

Advertisements

As the child of a severly abusive mother, I should not have produced children and sorely regret that I did.

I was unable to nurture, my emotional range is extremely limited.

My 4 children were reared in an emotional void. I thought I was doing great because my own rearing was so bizarre and cruel, my frame of reference was warped.
Far better to have never had them. Had I realized earlier in life what I do now I would have just had rescue dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:06 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,307,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
As the child of a severly abusive mother, I should not have produced children and sorely regret that I did.

My 4 children were reared in an emotional void. I thought I was doing great because my own rearing was so bizarre and cruel, my frame of reference was warped.
Far better to have never had them. Had I realized earlier in life what I do now I would have just had rescue dogs.
How are they doing now? My mom was abused and wasn't as emotional as a lot of mother's but we all turned out ok and glad to be alive.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,307,406 times
My feelings whether you regret having kids or not if you have them it is time to act like a responsible adult and love your kids and get over it. When I hear someone complain my heart goes out to the kids. It is a selfish attitude.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,869,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post

Wow, that's pretty intense. Are they doing alright now? Are you?

I was raised by a severely abusive mom and dad. Having children got me into intensive therapy because I just didn't know which way was up. I was going a great job compared to those two...but I had a lot of work to do. I'm not perfect, but I have made a ton of progress in parenting. It's an ongoing process.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,875,494 times
They're all pretty much emotionally screwed, all have limited range of emotions, cold hearted, self centered.
As to be expected.
As for me no I am not and have never been OK, I am waaay screwed up.

Yeah, HFB, when your rearing is so abnormal (my mother was a true sadist) as to prevent normal development, you have such a skewed view of what is Ok.
I thought I was doing great because I never yelled and meant well. That was not enough by far.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
My feelings whether you regret having kids or not if you have them it is time to act like a responsible adult and love your kids and get over it. When I hear someone complain my heart goes out to the kids. It is a selfish attitude.
Well no dip it's selfish, it's why some regret having them. You lose a lot of yourself. That's scary, painful, and irreconcilable to some.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:14 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,255,138 times
I was an only child and, yes my mother made it a point to tell me a.) i needed to be perfect and b) because she wanted a boy, I.ll never be perfect.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,416,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
It's a taboo subject. I have only known one woman in my life who after several drinks revealed to me that even though she has loved her daughter more than anything, if she was given another go at life she would refrain from having children.

I am not talking about men and women who didnt want to have kids from the start but were persuaded into it either by partners, or families; but about those who did want to have children yet parenthood has proven too much for them and disappointed them.
My parents adore my brother and I to death. We are ways going out to eat and they are amazing grandparents! They have helped my boyfriends, friends become happy and well adjusted too. Everyone I know loves them! They are just good Christian loving people. I love them and will take care of them until the end!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:00 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,781,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Actually the root cause of most divorces are money and sex
You have to go deeper. Money, sex, etc. are causes - kids are usually at the root of those causes, that's what a root cause is.

Pre kids, people have more money.
Pre kids, people have more sex.

When asked why one got a divorce, they say it was either money or sex but the root cause of that lack of money and sex is usually kids.

For most people and for the most part, life is more harmonious without kids. And that's with a normal kid. There are many who have kids that are difficult, very difficult. That changes the dynamic of a relationship.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM

299 posts, read 316,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
It's not about having selfish attitude, it's about how you feel, you can't control your feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships