Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
I'm driving up from North Carolina to Vermont to visit my GF's folks for Christmas and am dreading the drive...
Even without the in-laws traveling that distance for the holiday would be miserable, especially if you have to take I-95. I just turned down my parents for Thanksgiving dinner since they decided to go to Indiana for dinner and I already have one trip to make a couple of days prior to Atlanta. No way am I doing all that traveling. I accepted a friend's invitation as an alternate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Quote:
No kicking or screaming here, if I do not want to go I do not go and when I do go we always get a room no matter how far away the hotel is. I do not sleep on the floor anywhere for any reason.
When we first got married, we made tons of trips, slept on floors, etc. While always supportive of each other, neither of us really looked forward to it, but we came from the same background, and it was just what our families did. Everyone crowded in and slept wherever possible. (and I'm from South Dakota, so I absolutely understand small, isolated towns)

Then I had to have back surgery. My husband was in full agreement that I needed a quieter, more comfortable night's sleep than was possible at either of families houses, and we got a hotel room on our next visit. The first night we left the crowed house, went to our quiet, comfortable room - laid down, cuddled in the large bed, enjoyed the silence, looked at each other and said "We should have done this a LONG time ago." Then in the morning we got up, got ready in our own bathroom and joined the rest of the family for breakfast feeling rested and relaxed.

At this point I would happily drive 30 miles to a hotel before I would sleep on the floor in an overcrowded house, and my husband would be right there with me! It took a few years of guilt trips, but our families got used to it, and I think my mom has actually gotten to the point where she has discovered not having houseguests for days on end is more relaxing for her too.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
My in laws hate me (no one is ever good enough for my husband). I am not fond of them after they tried to break us up, scheming and planning, etc. Luckily we live an ocean away. They are too poor to visit (refuse to get jobs) and I don't feel like going into the snake den again. Hubby understands and stays away from them as well.

I did have the same experience with my cousins. We would get together for Thanksgiving but we sit and eat with our own immediate families. It was so uncomfortable for everyone.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:48 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Yup, move about 5,000 miles away from them and holidays are much more jolly. The ones you actually like will occasionally show up, but the ones who disapprove never do. We always claim poverty if the ones we don't like invite us over, although since we're from a more desirable location than they are at, they don't like to have us over since then they feel bad about where they live so we rarely get invites to turn down.

Small kid time, though, there were family gatherings. Usually the adults would all be in one place and the kids sent outside to play and they'd set the kids at a different table to eat, too, so it was forced interaction among the cousins. That seemed to work fairly well, but the gatherings weren't multi-day.

There was a big gathering after we were married and a large house on the shore was rented, that had rooms and beds enough for everyone and worked out pretty well.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:53 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Stay in a hotel. 20 miles in that situation is not too bad. The others will have more beds too.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
I'm driving up from North Carolina to Vermont to visit my GF's folks for Christmas and am dreading the drive...
Good luck! Make sure you check the weather along the way. It can get VERY dicey with snow and ice. I went from NY to NC for Thanksgiving week one year and holy cow the ice that appeared out of nowhere in PA on I81 was absolutely ridiculous.....then there was snow in the VA mountains on I81. Never again. I like living far too much!

Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
My in laws hate me (no one is ever good enough for my husband). I am not fond of them after they tried to break us up, scheming and planning, etc.
We might have the same in-laws......20 years later they're still trying to tear us apart. I finally said enough is enough and told them to cut the crap this year. That went over well.......would have better if I murdered a bus full of nuns. Don't regret it at all. It's their problem not mine.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:38 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
I am opting out of the house and pony show that is my family this year. Which is good because my sister is mad at my father and opting for $50 a plate restaurant meal 2.5 hours from my house, and my Dad is going to the senior center anyway because he doesn't want to drive to my house or go to the fancy dinner. Whatever, I am not doing either!

Instead I am hosting my father in law, but that is it. It will just be 4 of us. I will be cooking, but no drama will be involved so I will just need to figure out what to do with 20 lbs of leftover turkey. That's what a freezer is for - hello turkey pot pies throughout the winter!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Instead I am hosting my father in law, but that is it. It will just be 4 of us. I will be cooking, but no drama will be involved so I will just need to figure out what to do with 20 lbs of leftover turkey. That's what a freezer is for - hello turkey pot pies throughout the winter!
Turkey breast! Forget the whole bird unless you buy a really small one. We get soooooo sick of turkey here! There's only 2 of us and a whole turkey would feed us for a month.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Lol just imagine cooking it. Starting in the morning, slaving all day, serving just to have them chow down for 20 minutes and then go watch tv. Yeah...it's not all it's cracked up to be. Then the dishes...

Although left overs are awesome.
Yup. That used to be me slaving all day and part of the night.
Stress over food.

Then everybody eats and runs, so I quit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships