Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 01:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
.......move back to whatever Northern state you came from becausein the South we are taught to be polite.

This is exactly the kind of comment I find annoying. The South does not have a corner on politeness. Regardless of how many ma'ams and sirs are (or are not) used in a conversation.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-18-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Picture a woman left her purse on a counter, and you are running after her to let her know you've got her purse. What do you yell? You don't know her name. You have to call her something.

Hey lady, sounds rude.

Hey Mizzzzzzz (Ms) doesn't work well as a word you need to yell.

Hey Miss? She's over 40. I guess that could work...

I guess you could just keep loudly yelling Excuse me! Excuse me!
Maybe some people would prefer "Yo byotch"

Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe some people would prefer "Yo byotch"

Yes, because rudeness is the only alternative to ma'am.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:39 PM

19 posts, read 16,624 times
In the northeast, where I was raised, the m word is considered a comment about being aged and therefore disliked. I have lived on a few continents and visited many islands and different cultures and do notice when I am addressed as M'am, tho I have had no response until yesterday.
A young african-american man was driving the transport cart inside A NY airport. He said M'am with such genuine sweetness, I felt as if he was offering a lovely token on appreciation. It felt sweet and was endearing. We actually stayed on the cart longer so he could fetch someone else far up the concourse rather than be dropped off sooner to get a car rental.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This is exactly the kind of comment I find annoying. The South does not have a corner on politeness. Regardless of how many ma'ams and sirs are (or are not) used in a conversation.
Maybe not, but mam is not offensive to us and we don't use it to be offensive. When you visit a different section of the country or a different country all together you should accept the differences there graciously. I expect kids to say mam to me, and when they don't I wonder what their parents taught them.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't get upset, but I find the formality of it distancing and it does make me feel "old." I'm not freaked out by getting older, but it just conjures images of elderly women in their dotage.

It's not like "ma'am" ruins my day or my mood, but it is a little jarring.
It always made me picture an Old West school marm spinster in her long dress and bonnet, with the sheriff walking by and tipping his hat, "Ma'am", lol. Formality/distancing I never thought of, but now that you said it, it rings true, but in a way I can't really put into words well.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe not, but mam is not offensive to us and we don't use it to be offensive. When you visit a different section of the country or a different country all together you should accept the differences there graciously. I expect kids to say mam to me, and when they don't I wonder what their parents taught them.

So this idea of being gracious and accepting of the differences in other customs or cultures is only expected to apply to others concerning your customs and not the other way around.

I see.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-18-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 03:08 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
I don't find it offensive, I just don't like it. I don't like clams either, it doesn't mean I'm offended by them. Now this weekend though, I was at my nephews Marine boot camp graduation and every single marine man and woman called me ma'am, and I didn't mind it one bit, as that is what they are taught AND it was used for every woman, not just those who appear older. Here in the northeast however it actually is reserved only for women who appear older.

Men have only one title...Sir. Younger or older, sir is the title of respect. If men were only called sir after they started looking middle aged, they wouldn't like it either.

I actually do know some men who hate being called sir (again, in northeast where politeness is not an ingrained cultural trait, it usually only happens after a certain age. They say "my father is sir, not me" lol.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,492 times
Quote:
When you visit a different section of the country or a different country all together you should accept the differences there graciously.
you mean like when you go somewhere that calling a woman "ma'am" is not the norm?

Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It always made me picture an Old West school marm spinster in her long dress and bonnet, with the sheriff walking by and tipping his hat, "Ma'am", lol.
haha! reminds me of little house on the prairie. wasn't there a lot of "ma'ams" thrown around on that show?
ah, i loved little house on the prairie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
View detailed profiles of: