Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times

Advertisements

As a weekend sailor, I read a lot of magazine articles about people who are out cruising the world on their boats. When asked how long their cruise is planned for, the almost unanimous response is, "We'll keep doing it as long as it's fun". That's kinda how I feel about life in general. I'm 63 and am in good health, have a vibrant business and lots of stuff I enjoy doing. I'd be happy to go on like this forever. However, if I was terminally sick or with chronic pain that made every day awful, I would probably be OK with checking out. The most important thing, I feel, is to be ready to go at any time. Leave nothing unsaid and be at peace with the world, because you just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM

951 posts, read 1,139,924 times
When I have nothing to live for anymore.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
There is no "good" age to die.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You're tired at 45? (If I'm reading this correctly...)

Have you had a check-up lately? Eating well? Getting enough exercise?
Did you read in her original post: Kids...all the kids...??

Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't know. For me, my life is so unfulfilled, I wouldn't mind if it happened today. I sometimes wish I would just die in my sleep. Living life in constant misery isn't a life. I'm 47. I'm pretty much ready since I'm not close to my family, have no family of my own (my biggest disappointment in life), and very few close friends. I sometimes wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice I was gone.
Forties are a real tough decade. Hang in there, your 50s decade will turn around and you'll start having fun, you'll figure "what have I got to lose? I'll try anything!"

Old 11-16-2015, 02:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Quote:
I don't know. For me, my life is so unfulfilled, I wouldn't mind if it happened today. I sometimes wish I would just die in my sleep. Living life in constant misery isn't a life. I'm 47. I'm pretty much ready since I'm not close to my family, have no family of my own (my biggest disappointment in life), and very few close friends. I sometimes wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice I was gone.
Awww..reading this makes me sad. I'm sending you a big Citydata hug today. You have plenty to live for. There's a Ted talk about how chronic loneliness can fool a person into believing that no one cares. When that's not hardly the case at all. Someone loves you. Do some emotional triage and don't give up on yourself.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:18 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Forties are a real tough decade. Hang in there, your 50s decade will turn around and you'll start having fun, you'll figure "what have I got to lose? I'll try anything!"
I hope you're right. I'm almost at that point now, but something still holds me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Awww..reading this makes me sad. I'm sending you a big Citydata hug today. You have plenty to live for. There's a Ted talk about how chronic loneliness can fool a person into believing that no one cares. When that's not hardly the case at all. Someone loves you. Do some emotional triage and don't give up on yourself.
Thank you so much. I'll look up the Ted talk because I really do believe nobody cares.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Well, we can't choose normally. I am aged 69 and I don't feel that I am done yet. DH doesn't either. I want us to be around together for as long as we possibly can. I noticed that in her eighties my mom declined mentally rather fast. I think if I could choose, I'd opt for mid eighties. However, I can't choose. I can only live as fully as I can now, and try to keep myself healthy.

If I were struck down now, I would be so disappointed not to see my grands grow and mature. I really wish I was 10 years younger, in order to get to really see them as adults. But, if I get another 15 years or so, I think I can be somewhat content. I hope so. You never know what the future holds though. Mortality becomes more relevant the older we get.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:45 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Quote:
I hope you're right. I'm almost at that point now, but something still holds me back.

Thank you so much. I'll look up the Ted talk because I really do believe nobody cares.

I've attached the link. Speaker's name is Guy Winch.
https://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_...tional_hygiene

Old 11-16-2015, 04:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
random question time... what age do you think is the best to die? i've been thinking about this age recently b/c i've had a few friends facing terminal illnesses who are in their thirties and forties. then i also have grandparents in their 90's struggling in nursing homes. i don't want to live til 90, but 40's is so young. i really don't get people who will fight tooth and nail to live another year when they are already in their 80's or 90's. for me, my ideal is about 65. i'm not saying that's old so no insults to those who are this age. i'm saying FOR ME, this will mean 20 more years, this will mean my kids are all independent adults by then. i'm tired now. i don't want to live another 40 years. 20 more years sounds just about right. any other thoughts on this? am i the only weirdo who thinks of questions like this?
Having spent a significant amount of time around old people (my family is long-lived) - all things being equal and assuming I'm in decent health - I'd say around 88.

Even healthy seniors start to decline around then; can't drive; forgetful; hard to cook lest you leave the oven on all night; hard to walk etc.

Now if we are talking poor health or dementia - put me down like an old dog no matter what age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships