Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times

Advertisements

I have a sneaky feeling that as OP reaches 59 or so, their ideal age to die will have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Forties are a real tough decade. Hang in there, your 50s decade will turn around and you'll start having fun, you'll figure "what have I got to lose? I'll try anything!"
This post is so true. Both my children are in their 40's and I hope they get out soon. It is hard for a mother to watch. It is almost like they are going through their teen years again and as a parent there is nothing you can do because everything you try to do to help is rejected. "Mother please, I'd rather do it myself."

My doctor tells us it is his goal to have all his patients live to 90.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
The day I will not be able to get out of the house and walk around on my own, or the day I will find myself forgetting the names of my loved ones - that will be the day to get myself gently put down.
There are millions of people who cannot walk around on their own who lead happy, meaningful lives.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't know. For me, my life is so unfulfilled, I wouldn't mind if it happened today. I sometimes wish I would just die in my sleep. Living life in constant misery isn't a life. I'm 47. I'm pretty much ready since I'm not close to my family, have no family of my own (my biggest disappointment in life), and very few close friends. I sometimes wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice I was gone.
I had an interesting insight about you the other day Atlguy and now is the time to tell you about it. Of all the people whose posts I read on this forum, you seem to receive the most caring responses from other CD members. I wonder if you've noticed that? Some folks on here can't seem to say anything without getting slammed but you rarely get that kind of response. Go back and read some stuff you've written with a new eye and see if you can see what I mean. My point is that there are probably a lot more people who care than you've been able to notice and when you see this, do a gratitude exercise--it will really lift you up.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I really did not expect to live this long, and am very thankful for the days I get, one after another.
God is so good to me every day>
Of course I have days my body argues with my brain telling me I can't do things I did as a kid ,such is life ,deal with it.
I see life as an adventure and a chance to learn something new and better my self and help some one else from time to time ,isn't that what life is about ?
If your life has counted for nothing but selfish gain, you've been selfish with it , the shame is on you.
Having friends that pay you back is nice, but it's not actually making a difference in the world.
However helping some one that does not have the means to pay you back, can make a big difference in their life.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:28 PM

2,810 posts, read 204,905 times
For me, the best age to die would be around 90 years old. By that time, you most likely lived a good life and accomplished your goals. Why live any older? At age 90, your probably senile, Immobilized by some sort injury caused by old age like Osteoporosis or Arthritis. At age 90 ,your body is worn out from 90 years of use. Thata why I think age 90 is the best time to die(if you even make it to 90)

Old 11-16-2015, 09:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Now I say 70, that may change when I get closer. Seeing my parents close to age 80, their lives aren't the best. Dad has Alzheimer's and Parkinsons (LBD what Robin Williams had). The last 8 years have bee horrid for him. Mom is falling apart. Looking at them I have no desire to live past 70.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't know. For me, my life is so unfulfilled, I wouldn't mind if it happened today. I sometimes wish I would just die in my sleep. Living life in constant misery isn't a life. I'm 47. I'm pretty much ready since I'm not close to my family, have no family of my own (my biggest disappointment in life), and very few close friends. I sometimes wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice I was gone.

Reading your post just makes me sad.....I understand exactly how you feel and I have felt that way myself - and even a few times had contemplated the possibility of just disappearing quietly and never coming back. That was a long time ago.....

I have struggled with depression for many years and take medication now that makes me feel much better. It drops over you like a heavy sweater that you can't figure out how to get out of. I think you sound profoundly depressed also - and you may be surprised to find that there are probably folks who do care about you but are reluctant to speak to you about it - or who don't want to hurt your feelings or intrude on your privacy. It's hard to speak up sometimes.

I married very late in life - having taken care of both of my parents until they both passed on. I was the youngest of three kids. By the time I met my husband and married - I was way too old to have children - and he had not had any either. I regret not having babies of my own - but at my age now I wouldn't have the patience or energy to take care of a youngster. Have you considered being a big brother to a young man, or possibly adopting a child? I know it can be difficult to meet friends, but sometimes you must make yourself step out of your comfort zone and take a chance.

You're still a young man, and your profile pictures reveal a quite attractive one at that. There is a lid for every pot. Somehow, somewhere, there is a stable and lovely woman who is waiting to meet a man just like yourself. When the time is right - you will be exactly in the right place - and you will absolutely know that it is real. It may take more time, or it may happen sooner. If you did something incredibly foolish and stupid like taking your own life - you may miss out on a wonderful opportunity to meet someone who could be exactly who you have been looking for your entire life. I found that when I stopped looking - love found me.

If you haven't done so, please talk to someone about how you're feeling. Your doctor can prescribe something to make you feel better - which will improve your outlook on life and make it easier for you to walk out the door every day and engage in conversation with people, actually look forward to having things to do. You won't meet anybody sitting at home or lying in bed sleeping.....I urge you to please do something positive. Trust me, someone will notice if you are gone!!! Good luck to you!!!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
I just turned 69 and I feel like I'm 50. I'm healthy, fit and active. My great aunt is still alive at 103 and was in a bowling league until her knee got bad 3 years ago. Another aunt died last year at 100, she lived by herself & took care of her home and yard all by herself until a few days before she died. So unless I get stupid and walk out in front of a truck I fully intend to live to at least 100

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
random question time... what age do you think is the best to die? i've been thinking about this age recently b/c i've had a few friends facing terminal illnesses who are in their thirties and forties. then i also have grandparents in their 90's struggling in nursing homes. i don't want to live til 90, but 40's is so young. i really don't get people who will fight tooth and nail to live another year when they are already in their 80's or 90's. for me, my ideal is about 65. i'm not saying that's old so no insults to those who are this age. i'm saying FOR ME, this will mean 20 more years, this will mean my kids are all independent adults by then. i'm tired now. i don't want to live another 40 years. 20 more years sounds just about right. any other thoughts on this? am i the only weirdo who thinks of questions like this?
Something tells me that when you're 64, you might be thinking differently. That goes double if you have grandkids by then.

Me, I'll be happy to get to about 85. That's another 36 years for me. It really depends on my health and mental acuity, though. I hope my body goes before my mind does, and I hope that's before the last dime in my wallet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships