Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM

203 posts, read 321,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm at a restaurant in Naples, FL and another customer placed a food order awhile back. The guy consistently badgered various waiters about the status of the food, then just got up and left. He was treating these servers poorly for a meal that wasn't even late. This is a wealthy city dominated by retirees, so I bet he was a wealthy grouch.

Do you find that rich people routinely treat others worse?
I used to work in Southlake, TX which is kind of nouveau riche (Fort Worth = old money, Southlake = new money). I worked in a wireless retail store as a sales representative from 2001-2003. The people that treated me the best were those who worked hard for their money and appreciated me for working hard for them. They had a decent amount of money and I would call them "self-made". Their kids? Oh my word. Horrible. You could not tell them anything. They would interrupt and talk over me, they would give me distant weird looks, they were unresponsive (I was very kind)... just horrible. These kids had everything come easy for them and had their parents' money to fall back on. They were going to good private schools, their parents were paying for college, they drove nice cars. A few were respectful... most were not.

I don't think wealthy people who work hard for their money treat others who work hard poorly.

I think those who have had their wealth handed to them are a bit different (lol)... not all, but enough for me to make a point of it.

This was my experience anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
No. You made an assumption that he is well to do, when all the evidence concludes is that he is a jerk.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I think it is just the opposite. The poorer types are the ones I notice.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 22 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,211 times
During the years I was formally or informally affiliated with a church, I knew or knew of people with some degree of wealth, and I found them to be very nice and down-to-earth.

Some of the people were from old money, and some were self-made.

Either way, it is of no concern to me, as long as they are nice, and none of us are going to live forever, or take it with us.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
I've known people who get some form of government assistance (whether it be welfare or disability), and they actually can be rude or nasty to waitresses, leave the biggest messes for restaurants to clean, cause the biggets interruptions in a restaurant, etc. I am sure wealthy people get like that, but a lot of wealthy people care about their image and don't tend to do that too much with exception of the old, cranky types. Who are they trying to impress, afterall???

Old 12-04-2015, 03:14 PM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
In my eyes the rich tend to be pretty kind and considerate save for a couple of old money snobs. I'd say poorer people more often mistreat workers and are unkind and inconsiderate.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
I'm at a restaurant in Naples, FL and another customer placed a food order awhile back. The guy consistently badgered various waiters about the status of the food, then just got up and left. He was treating these servers poorly for a meal that wasn't even late. This is a wealthy city dominated by retirees, so I bet he was a wealthy grouch.

No. My family is the "poorest" out of all of our friends and it has been my wealthier friends who have really opened up the world of good manners for us.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:26 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:

From what I've been reading lately about the physical assaults by customers against employees as well as other customers in McDonald's and other fast food places, I'd say no. Seems that folks on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale think that they're "entitled."

Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
OP, you are making a lot of superficial generalizations about people. Obviously not all people who eat in restaurants in Naples are rich. I mean you were eating there, right? You're not rich, but if you acted like an azz, would it be okay for people to assume you were, simply because you happened to be in Naples? Your whole question is based upon a probably incorrect assumption of this guy's net worth.

Azzes come in all flavors.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:

I never had any problem with rich people. The problem I've had is with the upper middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships