Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 03:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

No.
If I dislike someone there's a reason. 99 cases out of 100 it's their attitude. In my 52 years, I've had maybe two people tell me to my face that they didn't like me; I've known others in which it was obvious (facial expressions, body language) but didn't dare admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 04:53 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I've run into some people in my life that I just didn't like for any apparent reason. I can't recall anyone specific though. Probably because I made it a point not to have them in my life.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Yes. I think I'm pretty good at reading people fairly quickly.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Many Questions View Post
MOST people I interact with in family, neighborhood, church and work settings are average. They are fine, just average people, who I don't like or dislike.

But there are some people I am forced to interact with I just don't like. Something about them just bugs me. I can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like about them, but I find their personality and persona just negative. They don't insult me verbally, they don't physically hurt me, they don't try to discredit me, or lie or cheat. But something about them just irks me. I just don't like them.

Do you have people you just don't care for but struggle to understand why?
Yes. Although eventually I do figure it out. I am thinking of a person who I don't really like now, but haven't been able to pinpoint anything. I just don't really care for this person. We do interact kindly with each other though. But I don't want to hang with her or her hubby. I don't like either of them very much. And contact with them has not changed my initial impression.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:43 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
I rarely dislike people without them doing or saying something to tip or tick me off. However I have been on the other end of "pre-judging" when I've done nothing and said nothing.

I'm blonde, not fat not thin, taller than average 5'9" but don't wear heels and 60. I don't wear expensive clothes or jewelry and generally am pleasant. Some women dislike me on sight I'm guessing because I'm taller and not fat (best guess). I don't flirt with their husbands, have a very nice one of 37 years standing. Never talk politics or religion.

My hubby and I went to Italy years ago, really looked forward to seeing it but the people in the big cities (Rome, Florence) hated me. Seriously, I would enter a store and the clerk would look at me, turn on their heels and leave and not return. At a farmers market I got yelled at by a vendor while trying to buy some apples. He wanted me to buy ones in a paper bag and I wanted to see them first. Later I found out that they assumed I was German and they hate German tourists, don't know why since German tourists in Florida are just fine. Smaller cities I didn't have the "prejudice" factor, much nicer.

I am slow to figure out when people dislike me (except for Italy) maybe because I take a while to dislike other people. But I'm getting better at noticing signs, 60 years old now so maybe I'm a slow learner.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:44 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
I've disliked loads of people over the years, and I've gotten the impression that loads of people have disliked me as well.

Hostility and rudeness will make me dislike you pretty quickly. Also, two-faced behavior is something that will put you on my poo poo list. I encounter that stuff all the time.

The older I get, the more I realize that most people don't care much for each other and that's just how it is. Hopefully you have a good family because when push comes to shove, they are the only people who will have your back.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:55 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Many Questions View Post
MOST people I interact with in family, neighborhood, church and work settings are average. They are fine, just average people, who I don't like or dislike.

But there are some people I am forced to interact with I just don't like. Something about them just bugs me. I can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like about them, but I find their personality and persona just negative. They don't insult me verbally, they don't physically hurt me, they don't try to discredit me, or lie or cheat. But something about them just irks me. I just don't like them.

Do you have people you just don't care for but struggle to understand why?
yeah me too but what I have discovered is that I mainly dislike them because they recently registered and have a bunch of new threads.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:16 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Yep Sure do!!!! I don't care for people who make up stories for attention.
Me too! Why, last year I was visiting the White House and I tackled a couple of guys with guns, and then I.....oh, never mind.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
It's usually because they remind me of someone I didn't like in my past.
So you dislike like people not because of something that they did, but because they remind you of someone?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:14 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,989 times
It's happened before but I can typically figure out why eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships