Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM

404 posts, read 366,535 times

Advertisements

Ah more introverts and their bs. I have an idea..stay at home and socialize with noone. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Ah more introverts and their bs. I have an idea..stay at home and socialize with noone. Problem solved.
Good we want have to run into someone like you out there.

This really doesn't have much to do with introversion and extroversion but if you want to take it there...

Old 11-18-2015, 12:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
I don't put much stock in first impressions. And I usually know exactly why I don't like someone. My best friend is someone that a lot of people don't like upon first meeting her. She can come off as cold, crude and insensitive. But she is also one of the most ethical and giving people that I know. Anyone who really takes the time to get to know her ends up absolutely adoring her.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:00 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't put much stock in first impressions. And I usually know exactly why I don't like someone. My best friend is someone that a lot of people don't like upon first meeting her. She can come off as cold, crude and insensitive. But she is also one of the most ethical and giving people that I know. Anyone who really takes the time to get to know her ends up absolutely adoring her.

Neither do I.

They are often incorrect.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,768 times
I have gotten that feeling sometimes with some strangers. Must be pheromones. IDK

Old 11-18-2015, 03:02 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
I used to trust my initial reactions but then I grew up and realized the basis for discrimination of all kinds is based on fear of the unfamiliar. Now I try very hard to have a true basis for forming an exclusionary opinion before I rule out someone.

I moved to the Dallas area in the 70's when the city wasn't as cosmopolitan. My in-laws disliked me because I was "too Yankee" and to this day some of the original unfair bias against me with that group lingers. It wasn't fair then and it is even less fair now. I am a very kind person and have encountered cultural bias many times. I truly believe sometimes when one "can't put my finger on" why the dislike, its just a dissonance that has no basis to the individual's character.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:29 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
For me it's what come out of peoples mouths and their sense of doing what is right.

Generally, I don't like anyone who subscribes to ideologies of either the extreme left or extreme right. I am a centrist, and am open to differing opinions but I hate the spreading of ignorant ideas not based in fact. I don't like hyperbolic speech.

2 examples

Right: "Obama is destroying this country, and he is going to confiscate our guns."
Left: "Cops are bunch of thugs and murderers who hate people of color."

or even if it isn't political:

2 examples.
"Christians are a bunch of anti-science morons who are stupid enough to believe in an imaginary sky man controlling everything."
"Atheists are immoral sodomites and the homosexual agenda is destroying the fabric of this nation."

I also don't like tragedy junkies.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM

404 posts, read 366,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Good we want have to run into someone like you out there.

This really doesn't have much to do with introversion and extroversion but if you want to take it there...
Actually yes it does, and no people like you need to stay away from me. Point blank.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:15 PM

203 posts, read 321,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Many Questions View Post
MOST people I interact with in family, neighborhood, church and work settings are average. They are fine, just average people, who I don't like or dislike.

But there are some people I am forced to interact with I just don't like. Something about them just bugs me. I can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like about them, but I find their personality and persona just negative. They don't insult me verbally, they don't physically hurt me, they don't try to discredit me, or lie or cheat. But something about them just irks me. I just don't like them.

Do you have people you just don't care for but struggle to understand why?
Unless you have innate biases towards certain people or mannerisms (you would know this, I wouldn't because I do not know you), then I believe it is your instincts kicking in. Intuition/instinct/gut feelings about people are important (if this is truly what's happening).

You'll have to take notice if there are certain manners of speech, certain clothes worn, certain mannerisms in the people that you don't like. If there are, more than likely it is a bias. If there aren't, those are your instincts talking to you and warning you so take heed (lol). Most people who step out into the world put their best faces forward. You'd be surprised at how people grow up and what goes on behind closed doors to the average person.

Trust your instincts regarding people. I don't believe they will lead you astray.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
I can pretty much tell within the first five minutes whether I will or should have anything more to do with that person....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships