Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:26 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times

Advertisements

Living in Miami is not cheap. I moved in with a roommate 2 years ago after having lived on my own for several years. The simple fact is living on my own did not allow me to save ANYTHING. I really needed to start saving. While I could afford to live on my own, I was basically living pay check to pay check.

Anyway, long story short- AC is a requirement in FL and thank god for it. However, he likes to keep the temp during the day at 68 to 69 degrees. Keep in mind that it is so hot and humid down here that the chances of the air temp inside getting to 68 degrees is almost impossible, so the AC runs all day, without ever really turning off. The reason he likes it so cool is because he works overnight shifts and sleeps during the day and says he cannot sleep during the day without his room being cool.... Which I can understand because I too like to sleep in a cool room.

But 68 degrees with AC blowing inside is downright cold to me. I can barely even sit in my apt without feeling cold. I can't enjoy a meal without being cold. 68 degrees while not really a cold temperature is cold when it's produced by air conditioning.

So, I work during the day and he sets the temp to 68 degrees and he basically gets his "cool" room until around 6pm when I come home. I immediately turn the thermostat to 73.... a more comfortable and reasonable temperature. He will then come out of his room, all pissed off and annoyed and put the temp back to 68..... then I will turn it back up to 73.

He confronted me last night and was like "can you not turn the thermostat 'all the way up to 73....im hot"
I respond... "can we at least compromise and keep it at like 71 then? Cuz im freezing when I sit in here with it at 68" he responds, "well I guess u could get a blanket or sweater...."

I'm freaking annoyed by this. Yes, first world problem...whatever. But I hate freezing my butt off when I'm trying to relax at home while he sits in his bed under blankets asleep.

Am I being too much? Am I too demanding? I just feel 68 degrees for a daytime AC temp is too much, Plus our electric bill ain't cheap. I mean I think 73 is reasonable. Still cool and comfy to me. I dont know. . . I guess we have different internal thermostats.

Advice?
Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:45 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Unless you can both come to an agreement the situation will persist. This is often the downside of people living together who have different needs and habits. It sounds stressful, a person has to be comfortable where they live. You may have to consider a change of roomates or hang on while you save and plan out how to get back to living alone. I hope this can be resolved so you dont have to deal with the stress of moving or swapping roomates sooner then you are prepared for.

One other question: How do you get along aside from this with him?

Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Unless you can both come to an agreement the situation will persist. This is often the downside of people living together who have different needs and habits. It sounds stressful, a person has to be comfortable where they live. You may have to consider a change of roomates or hang on while you save and plan out how to get back to living alone. I hope this can be resolved so you dont have to deal with the stress of moving or swapping roomates sooner then you are prepared for.

One other question: How do you get along aside from this with him?
Generally OK. No other issues really.
Having this roommate has really allowed me to save tho. In the past 2 years I've saved $12,000. So I guess I could go live on my own now, however.... continuing to save is high on my priority list. It's just he's really starting to annoy me and I'm tired of this thermostat war. I should just get one of those thermostats that's connected to your smart phone and just control it on my own without him knowing,.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Why do YOU get to decide on the temperature? 73 is too hot for me as well, you can always put something on to get warmer, there's a limit to how much you can take off to try to cool off.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:47 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
When living down south, I liked it a few degrees below where my husband was comfortable. I actually could not sleep at his chosen temp (I liked 69/70 he likes 74). We tried to compromise but I was miserable. He, like the gentlemen he is, wore a sweater around the house and a long sleeve shirt. It wasn't just the temp, it was that the air stagnated when the ac didn't run a lot. It makes me sick to my stomach, I couldn't sleep. I couldn't walk around the house naked. He could easily put on a warmer shirt.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:51 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I just feel 68 degrees for a daytime AC temp is too much, Plus our electric bill ain't cheap.

I agree that AC being 68 is too cold!
Are you sharing the electric bill? If so, tell him that if wants it that cold he will have to pay more than half.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
68? I can't imagine your electric bill.

Does the roommate have a ceiling fan? He should use it. If he doesn't, get him a standing fan. 68 is unrealistic in Miami.

We keep our house at 77, all summer long.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
It doesn't sound passive aggressive to me. Y'all have had the confrontation.

I understand why he likes it cold, especially to cut the humidity. But you SHOULD be able to compromise.

I agree that the utility cost has to be HIGHER To run it that much, but he doesn't appear to want to compromise. I would wear a sweater and start looking for a cheaper place to live.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
68 would be too cold for me, not to mention, expensive. Does your roommate have a fan that he could use in his room? That little bit of air flow can really cool things off quite a bit. At least it would be confined to his room.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
68? I can't imagine your electric bill.

Does the roommate have a ceiling fan? He should use it. If he doesn't, get him a standing fan. 68 is unrealistic in Miami.

We keep our house at 77, all summer long.
My thoughts exactly. The AC cannot physically make the air 68 degrees when it is 90 outside. It just can't. It will run and run and bottom out at like 71....never reaching the 68 degree threshold, therefore never, ever shutting off.

Yes, he has a celing fan and it's on. And not to sound judgmental, but my roommate is heavy.... probably 50 lbs overweight.... I feel like telling him to lose weight if he's so hot all the time, but that would accomplish nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships