U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:31 AM

9 posts, read 21,539 times

Advertisements

Have an issue I need some advice on. My roommate ALWAYS has to keep the A/C on, even when it's real cold outside. She leaves it on even when it's 30-40 degrees! She's like a polar bear I swear. I have suggested getting a fan but she says she doesn't like using a fan and just wants the A/C on. I have said that not only is our apartment always freezing but it brings the electric bill up but she says since she pays the electric it's her choice, and to just use a blanket. She will also walk around in her undies as well, I don't know how she doesn't freeze to death! Is there really anything I can do? Even my boyfriend has complained about how cold it is, he even joked he's been in walk in freezers that are warmer.

If I paid at least part of the electric bill I know I'd have some say but since she pays it all do I really have room to complain?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 AM

13,821 posts, read 17,487,466 times
What does the outside temp have to do with anything? That ac won't run unless the inside temps are hot enough to cause it to kick on.
If she keeps it at some uncomfortably low temp like 62 then maybe it's time to negotiate. OTOH if the thermostat is set for 67-68 or higher you have no cause for complaint IMO. If you are too cold at those temps buy some sweats or fleece and suck it up, it's cheaper than paying half the utilities at any rate.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:11 AM

2,355 posts, read 3,484,763 times
I'm going to assume that this is a menopausal or pre-menopausal woman. Hormone fluctuations do some pretty terrible things to a woman's thermostat. Still there should be baseline comfort within reasonability, say 68 degrees as a winter setting. It's time to find a new place to live or get a safe space heater for your area/room. If you are on a lease there, most states honor "peaceful enjoyment" ideals within reason. You could probably get out of a lease. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 AM

10,194 posts, read 8,513,423 times
If it's 30 degrees outside the ACA won't run. Maybe the fan does.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,921,263 times
You are both right. You just have very different metabolisms. I agree with the electric space heater in your room. Your roommate will be paying for it.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:20 AM

9,154 posts, read 9,754,428 times
Move. Do it now, before winter really gets started.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 21,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I'm going to assume that this is a menopausal or pre-menopausal woman. Hormone fluctuations do some pretty terrible things to a woman's thermostat. Still there should be baseline comfort within reasonability, say 68 degrees as a winter setting. It's time to find a new place to live or get a safe space heater for your area/room. If you are on a lease there, most states honor "peaceful enjoyment" ideals within reason. You could probably get out of a lease. Good luck.
Menopausal? LMAO, No, she is 25 and I am 29. Even though it can easily be much colder outside it goes down to 50 and inside it can warm up an extra 10-15' or so.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,503,071 times
Personally I would probably tell her that even though she pays for the electricity, you both pay for rent and have to live there so it should be kept at an in-between temperature.

Out of curiosity, what temperature is it usually in your apartment?

Old 12-13-2015, 01:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,035,842 times
In general, I'd say if she is paying, she chooses. As pps have said, get a space heater and she's basically paying for that, too

If she's keeping it at 40 degrees, then that's a little much.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:29 PM

12,064 posts, read 11,617,137 times
Some ideas:

* Get a space heater for your room, keep it cranked on max.
* When she's gone, adjust the temperature to what you like. When she returns, if she readjusts then let her but each time she leaves readjust it back. If she says you can't do that then say "let's compromise, if you want 62, I want 75, the average is 68.5 so let's keep it there. If she doesn't agree then tell her "I'll adjust it while you're gone." She may kick you out but you're uncomfortable anyway.
* When you take hot showers don't turn the exhaust fan on, that will let the warm humid air come into the rest of the house.
* Cook more, that usually raises the temperature of the house.

If you're in a warm part of the country, as you said the low is only 50, then if it's warmer outside than inside, leave your window open.

Personally, I would crank the heat to 80 and see what happens when she returns. That way she could feel the reverse pain that you have been feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships