Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times

Advertisements

OK first off there are Christians and then there are Christians . There are many devout Christians with strong beliefs who do not wear it on their sleeve and try to convert everyone to their belief. Then there are Churches (generally "born agains") who feel they must spread the word to all nonbelievers.
The many different Protestant religions and Catholic Church are all Christian.
I attempt to avoid religious discussions with the extremists just as I do with extreme Republicans or Democrats. Those who do not accept that I do not share their opinions may find I see them MUCH less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:19 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
I was friends with a Jehovah's Witness for several years. She was a very close friend who was like family to me. She never tried to convert me and I never tried to get her free of them either. I kept all of my feelings about JWs to myself. But then she got married to a guy who was a JW and he basically threatened her that she wasn't allowed to be friends with me anymore. So we couldn't be friends anymore because her husband is a jerk and forbid her.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,012,545 times
Religion and politics are off limits. PERIOD.

Unless you know for certain the "friend" shares the exact same beliefs that you do.

It's a live and let live world (in my opinion) and certain topics are better kept private for the sake of pleasant and nice relationships with friends and family.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:53 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Just tell him that when he begins to understand why he dismisses other faiths' gods, he'll begin to understand why you dismiss his.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Unless your religious friends have a good sense of humor (or are somewhat dense) you will only upset them by talking about FSM, goblins, or fairies as if they are a valid religion. People have faith for a reason. It's a very strong influence. I know, because I was there once. I wish I could go back there, really. Sure, I didn't know as much as I do now, I suppose, but I was happy, and I had people who thought a lot like I did. I didn't lose my faith by simply questioning it, either. People drove me away. I still think I believe in Jesus, but I wouldn't consider myself "Christian." You'll make yourself crazy if you try to become a Christian yourself; wait for God to make you into one.
they were more acquaintances than friends. eventually, they fell out of my radar which is fine. i need to be around more people that are down to earth(pun intended) and actually take responsibility for their actions instead of depending on a white guy with a beard above the clouds for their success. i cannot continue to associate with those types of people that believe that if they share their faith in jesus on facebook that they will be rewarded with lots of money.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:19 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
I'm surprised no one has chimed in from the other side, so I'll take a stab at it.

I'm a Christian. The Bible does say that it is my responsibility to share the Gospel (a word which literally means "good news") with others. However, it also says that it is God who brings people to Himself, not me. For anyone who takes their faith seriously, it's hard NOT to lay it on a bit thick from time to time, out of an excess of zeal. But that's when we need to remind ourselves that we are God's marketing department, not His sales department. Our job is to tell people about what we believe (and be prepared to answer whatever questions we might get), but not try and compel people to believe. We do not have that power, nor do we have that authority.

When I became a Christian, I lost a few friends who did not like my new emphasis on all that "God stuff." We did not share in common something that had become of transcending importance to me. Yes, I'm sure I went overboard; most new converts do. And I'm sure I laid it on thick and thought (subconsciously) that if I only talked a little bit more, and choose my words a little more carefully, I'm sure they'd come around and convert. It's an occupational hazard for anyone who takes Christianity seriously.

OP, if you don't believe in the Christian message, then you don't believe it. Your friend cannot make you believe. God offers His salvation to all who would believe, and maybe you will accept that invitation, and maybe you won't. I do hope, though, that you'll try and be understanding of where your friend is. Don't lead him on with false hope that you're "seeking" (unless you really are), but rather be brutally honest with where you stand. He may tone it down out of a desire to maintain a friendship with you, or he may not out of an increasing feeling of desperation in wanting you to convert. If the latter, you may have to dial things back with him.

But either way, I hope you'll understand that he's doing this not to be annoying, but because he genuinely cares about you.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
When a friend witnesses to me, I generally just say in a very neutral tone "well, that's very nice for you" and leave it at that. They get the picture.

I was friends at work with an older man years ago - he would try to sneak it into the conversation every once in a while. I never bit. It amused me that he kept trying.

Most of the people who know me know that they're not going to win an argument about faith because I really don't put any stock in it. It's not something that's a part of my life. When I tell people who come to my door to talk about that their religion, I just tell them I'm a very happy atheist, and they really don't have a response for that.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My experience with organized religion has taught me that most are cult-ish.
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of acceptance of non-believers.

Have any of you lost a friend over religion?
Of course, they are cultish!
And I accept you, honey...xxoo.
Why the heck should you believe in a God...because they
said there was one?

I don't lose friends exactly...but I move away from atheists that are so angry and want to
make me see how stupid I am to believe in anything that can not be proven...anything.

The only thing worse is an angry vegetarian! (I'm not kidding!)

(It's really the anger that is the issue for me....secondary
is the wanting to change me....which I can handle any day.)

I find saying to someone....''Your very actions are repelling me from your religion." (or church)..
I might have opened to it if you had the grace of finesse, tact, timing and were not fear based!
But, what I see is the fear in you that everything is not perfect and in God's hands....not
trusting the course made for each person and finding peace in that.

Then, you pivot and walk away, leaving them that to chew on.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
Sadly, I have also withstood countless-attempts by new-age 'hyper-tensive/mega-church/cultish' types to 'convert' me from my supposedly old-school (Roman-Catholic) belief system.

As a side-note, a fair amount of my younger years (from pre-teen to young-adulthood) was spent studying martial-arts, and one of the founders of my particular discipline (Kendo/Iiado - Swordsmanship) 'Miyamoto Musashi' wrote in his last yrs (while in self-imposed seclusion) "Respect whatever Diety you believe in and Prophets of his word without counting on their help.

And to this day, that is how I live my life, and walk the path that either I have chosen, or that which has been placed before me.

As for those who believe or do not believe...there was a time (very brief) where I would become 'inflamed' by this comment, or that rant/rave....but now that I am entering into middle-age, I have finally learned to 'live and let live'.

Life is just TOO damn short, to allow oneself to be pushed/prodded and caught-up in the 'mercurial-trends' followed by the ever-growing hordes of hypertensive, politically-correct, over-opinionated 'busy-bodies' these days.

Choose a path that works for you, put one foot in front of the other, and eventually you'll get to wherever it is that you're supposed to be.

Whoever, whatever, WHEREVER 'God' is...there is NO doubt in my heart (or mind) whatsoever that he, she or 'it' exists.

Jesus Christ/Yeshua was a real man who walked this earth, and spoke on behalf of that which we call 'God'. In the prime of his life, he was cut down (executed) and returned yet again, to speak some more.

He said he would eventually come back.

This I believe, with all my heart and soul.

Till then, I sincerely believe that we (as a species) are completely and totally ON OUR OWN, to figure-out how to best 'get along' with each other, whilst also being 'stewards' of this planet, which is our only 'home', following in orbit around a G-type main-sequence star (along with 8 other (known) planets, and their respective moons/satellites) which is hurtling through the vastness of space, to destination 'unknown'.

Maybe we don't NEED to know our 'destination'.

Maybe we are simply here 'Because'.

Breathe deep. Be happy, be content.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn...is just to 'love'...and BE loved, in return."

God Bless, and Merry Christmas everyone !

Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I am a Christian with many different friends, and in time they know where I stand, so once that is clear there is little discussion from my side unless they bring it up.
Its interesting though, because I don't even say any thing, and they bring up the subjects and tell me not to preach at them.
They seem frustrated and on the defensive, and I haven't said a thing.
I feel bad for them because they hold their position so adamantly, but are so insecure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships