Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:46 PM

442 posts, read 1,582,100 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place, but I've been in sort of a slump after going through an emotional rollercoaster due to relationship stuff. Today was especially bad. Spirits, interests, motivation...are all just "blah". I know that I need to pick myself up and be the best I can instead of dwelling and being mopey.

Do you have any suggestions for books to check out, blogs, podcasts, or activities to get involved with? I'm just trying to get out of this funk and want to focus on self improvement. On another thread, people were saying that nobody wants someone who has no life experience. What does that mean? I don't feel like I have had the most exciting life and there are still dreams and goals I have in mind, but what type of " life experience" are people looking for? Sounds like a job application

There are alot of activities I would like to get involved in, but at the same time Im trying to save as much money as possible to get debt free and financially independent. Also, alot of activities I want to do but I dont want to do alone..I want a partner to do them with. Do people view this as a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,804,050 times
Have you looked into Ted Talks? There are some great podcasts.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,568,610 times
Have you considered volunteer work? It's one way to meet new people, learn new skills, broaden your life experience and feel good about doing something useful.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM

2,322 posts, read 926,841 times
I remember listening to a podcast a few years ago that was addressing the need for men to "become interesting". It recommended to do one activity(other than work or errands) that got you out of the house at least one night a week. Take a cooking class, join an indoor wall climbing gym, learn a new language or learn to play an instrument.

All of these activities cost money and you said you have a lot that want to get involved in, so my suggestion is to do one. Pick one of your activities and immerse yourself. How you pick it is entirely up to you, whether it be the easiest to do, the least expensive or the one you most had your heart set on trying.

No need to wait to do them with a partner. Self improvement doesn't require any one other than one self... you. Yes, people will view doing things alone as a bad thing and some will applaud you for taking an initiative and being independent. Neither view should factor in you doing and becoming the best PrettyMissAshley you can be.

Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2015, 08:09 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,152,617 times
Do you work? One of the best ways to get out and be social is to join a work league for some coed sport. Softball, volleyball, kickball, etc. It's cheap, and you get to have fun and potentially meet someone you may be interested in.

I had some luck with that in the past, and the best part was that I wasn't even looking for someone, I just joined up to have fun.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Have you looked into Ted Talks? There are some great podcasts.
I just actually skimmed through those on PodCast Republic app..not much looked interesting to me though. Are they any good? Any you specifically recommend? There are a few other podcasts I downloaded, but they were for my specific interests.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Have you considered volunteer work? It's one way to meet new people, learn new skills, broaden your life experience and feel good about doing something useful.
This is something I do want to do in my life, but right now not so much unless it was just spotting here and there. I'm trying to devote more of my free time to developing specialized skills so I can get a 2nd job.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Do you work? One of the best ways to get out and be social is to join a work league for some coed sport. Softball, volleyball, kickball, etc. It's cheap, and you get to have fun and potentially meet someone you may be interested in.

I had some luck with that in the past, and the best part was that I wasn't even looking for someone, I just joined up to have fun.
I work for a very, very small company, unfortunately. Part of the reason why it's hard to meet people and feel social even at the job

Old 12-27-2015, 08:22 PM

22,678 posts, read 19,370,594 times
in my experience, the entire period every year from Thanksgiving through Jan. 15 or so is an emotional black hole where everything seems more bleak. Around about February things start picking up, the days start getting longer, and I start feeling like myself again.

i would say what sounds silly or fun or even child like and do that, it can be very comforting: coloring books, paper dolls, origami, what was fun when you were a little kid? wander through Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics and get a craft kit or craft project, something that catches your eye and you think "that looks like fun." Not to impress anyone, not to be the best, just for fun. think "hobby, fun" instead of "self-improvement" or "turn my life around"

Old 12-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
I remember listening to a podcast a few years ago that was addressing the need for men to "become interesting". It recommended to do one activity(other than work or errands) that got you out of the house at least one night a week. Take a cooking class, join an indoor wall climbing gym, learn a new language or learn to play an instrument.

All of these activities cost money and you said you have a lot that want to get involved in, so my suggestion is to do one. Pick one of your activities and immerse yourself. How you pick it is entirely up to you, whether it be the easiest to do, the least expensive or the one you most had your heart set on trying.

No need to wait to do them with a partner. Self improvement doesn't require any one other than one self... you. Yes, people will view doing things alone as a bad thing and some will applaud you for taking an initiative and being independent. Neither view should factor in you doing and becoming the best PrettyMissAshley you can be.

Good Luck!
Yes, these are all things I've been thinking about...dancing class or an art class..eventually I plan on starting one of those. I was just looking for alternate ways to "become interesting" in my free time that didn't cost money.

My problem is, if I do not have structure to my day it all becomes a lost cause which is exactly what happened today and it's life draining. I've even considered taking a single evening class at the local college..but I know that I can't always rely on structure from school or work so I'm looking for alternate things I can do, new interests to pick up and whatnot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships