Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,848,701 times

Advertisements

There is a girl at the place I volunteer who is in her very early 20s. She is a nice person, but very sensitive and prone to easily feeling hurt/victimized. I have witnessed many times her taking something personally when it was not meant that way, then shutting the "mean" person out and acting sulky for long periods of time.

The other day, I must have looked at her wrong or something (unintentional), because now it seems I'm on the "mean" list. She will not make eye contact with me and her reaction is far out of proportion. It feels like she's trying to punish me for some great offense, when a great offense didn't happen.

How would you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Ignore the undesirable behavior and continue to treat her the way I treat everyone else in the place.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Avoid such people as much as possible.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
She wants you to ask what you've done to offend her. Don't do it.

She's not sensitive. She's manipulative.

Don't engage. She wants drama. Don't provide it.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
There is a girl at the place I volunteer who is in her very early 20s. She is a nice person, but very sensitive and prone to easily feeling hurt/victimized. I have witnessed many times her taking something personally when it was not meant that way, then shutting the "mean" person out and acting sulky for long periods of time.

The other day, I must have looked at her wrong or something (unintentional), because now it seems I'm on the "mean" list. She will not make eye contact with me and her reaction is far out of proportion. It feels like she's trying to punish me for some great offense, when a great offense didn't happen.

Tell her to grow up and that it's not about her all the damned time. Because people like that are, in fact, ego centric. They see every single comment to which they take umbrage as a personal declaration of war on who they are. They are also, as a general rule, ungenerous people who are looking for faults in others, which is why they can't take innocent remarks and perhaps ascribe innocent intentions.

Jeez. I'm a pretty considerate guy. It is very rarely that I even inadvertently say something that offends anyone. But at the same time, I refuse to walk around on eggshells because someone can't handle adult life.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:18 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,213,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post

^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
She wants you to ask what you've done to offend her. Don't do it.

She's not sensitive. She's manipulative.

Don't engage. She wants drama. Don't provide it.
You beat me to it!

Ignore her. If she doesn't ever speak to you again, consider yourself blessed. These kinds of people are toxic.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

You beat me to it!

Ignore her. If she doesn't ever speak to you again, consider yourself blessed. These kinds of people are toxic.
Yep. I worked with someone like that.

Once in staff meeting, I said something pretty innocuous. This woman immediately pipes up and says, "That offends me!" To which I replied immediately, "What doesn't? I'd really like to know."

She left the staff meeting. Another woman across the conference room table said, "Thank God someone finally said it."

That person quit soon afterwards. No one missed her.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,247,154 times
She's not "sensitive". She's self-absorbed, immature, and possibly crazy.

As others have advised, limit your interactions with her and do not take the bait. If possible, make sure all or your interactions with her are witnessed. People like that are unpredictable, so there's no telling what they will say or do or make up to create a sensation or attract attention to themselves.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:37 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,870,863 times
It's possible that this girl is mentally ill to some extent. As a volunteer, be kind and try to keep this in mind.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM

619 posts, read 576,842 times
So this woman is a... What? Another volunteer, a staff member, a client? And what is your relationship to her - are you her supervisor, case worker, CO worker? Cause the background and details would make a difference. If this is some sort of "helo" center, and she is there as a client and you ad a volunteer case worker /mentor, then my answer would be different than if you are both volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships