Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:28 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,784,863 times

Advertisements

Just wondering which cities would be ok for a woman to go out to a bar by herself if she isn't looking to get picked up or don't want creeps around. If she just wants to go out and have a good time by herself or looking to make new friends in general. NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Anywhere, really.
It isn't so much the city as the particular bar...

Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM

6,470 posts, read 7,814,772 times
Why go out to a bar by yourself if you don't want to meet someone? Why not save the stupid crazy money they charge for a drink and just drink at home? I don't get it.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,387,600 times
I always enjoyed going out by myself.......to any bar.

Ah.........those where to good days.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,387,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Why go out to a bar by yourself if you don't want to meet someone? Why not save the stupid crazy money they charge for a drink and just drink at home? I don't get it.
When I went out alone I rarely spent money in the bars.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Why go out to a bar by yourself if you don't want to meet someone?
She did not say that at all. She clearly said "If she just wants to go out and have a good time by herself or looking to make new friends in general."

Quote:
Why not save the stupid crazy money they charge for a drink and just drink at home? I don't get it.
Oh, I don't know....
Maybe just to get out of the house for a while.
Or to people watch.
Or to try some new cocktails.
etc.
etc.
etc.

You think spending "stupid crazy money" at a bar is dumb, but I think it is smart.
Do YOU spend "stupid crazy money" to fully stock a bar in your house?
I would rather try drinks out on the town than buy ingredients I may never use again...

Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,928,720 times
I don't think it's a matter of the city, but what the particular bar is like. When I was younger, even into my 30s, there were bars near me where I would fell totally comfortable going in alone, and some within a mile that were known as meat-markets or lowlife hangouts. I could tell because within like 10 minutes a guy would start talking to me, and he'd bring up how he has to call his friend for a ride later because he lost his license. I swear, I've had guys tell me that at least 5 times! First, it's a dead giveaway that you're a loser and that this is a loser bar, but second, if you're trying to pick up chicks, you might hold off on mentioning the DUIs until maybe a half-hour into the conversation.

It's always safe to go into a bar alone when it's attached to a chain restaurant (like a Friday's, Houlihan's, On the Border, Applebee's etc). Now that I'm older, I like those if I'm alone. It's not a party-animal setting, and people have to be somewhat well behaved, because there are like, actual families a few feet away through a half-wall. I've ended up having some great conversations with strangers at those chain bars, without it being a pickup situation.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:58 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
I agree with TracySam. It depends on the bar.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:02 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,829,420 times
I used to go to the Coronet Pub on La Cienega in Los Angeles by myself at least a few times a month. I always had a good time and met cool people like John Candy or other actors playing in the theater next door.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 7,814,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
She did not say that at all. She clearly said "If she just wants to go out and have a good time by herself or looking to make new friends in general."

Oh, I don't know....
Maybe just to get out of the house for a while.
Or to people watch.
Or to try some new cocktails.
etc.
etc.
etc.

You think spending "stupid crazy money" at a bar is dumb, but I think it is smart.
Do YOU spend "stupid crazy money" to fully stock a bar in your house?
I would rather try drinks out on the town than buy ingredients I may never use again...
OK, OK, stop browbeating me. Geez, I didn't mean to touch a nerve.

Go ahead and be that person who sits alone at a bar. Sounds like a blast. Nothing at all depressing about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships