Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,660,065 times

Advertisements

The CEO of the company I work for is hosting a dinner party and invited me "and my significant other". I don't have a significant other so I implied in my response that it's just me, myself, and I going there. I'm relatively new to the company so I don't know anyone on a personal level. I'm a naturally introverted (read: shy and reserved) person around large groups and highly prefer smaller group settings (like 1 or 2 other people). But I forced myself to go to this because I'm new to the company and I want to make a good impression. I don't want to be labeled as that anti-social person who doesn't ever show up to any social events like my previous jobs. I want to try to change that.

All of my interests/hobbies revolve around things that are too controversial to talk about around coworkers (like politics and spirituality for example). So it makes it really awkward for me to try to contribute to convos people are having at a party. I try to chime in with a sentence or two once in a while just so I don't look like an idiot sitting there the whole time. I know about the usual "ask people questions" tip but I never know what to ask people. I think part of it is that my brain freezes up in these situations.

I know that when I walk in I will be super nervous and have to say hi to like 50 people at once. So my questions are:

1) How do I deal with the single aspect at a dinner party?
2) How does an introvert handle him/herself at a dinner party?
3) How do I come up with good questions/topics for people there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Aren't there things you want to know about them?? Aren't you naturally curious about where they grew up, what their families are like, what the do outside of work, etc?

You should ask about what you're wondering about.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:12 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,825,290 times
That's why I haven't attended the fire department Christmas party for the last three years. And I doubt I'll go this year.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,367,580 times
Drink a bit of alcohol right when you get there, and you should be fine.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,097,955 times
And also, don't think that you necessarily have to be the life of the party. As long as you smile, enjoy and compliment the food and drink and look happy you will already make a good impression. Make sure to compliment the appearance of your boss's wife if she is there. Have a conversation with at least two people and you have done well. The post above gave you good suggestions about conversation starters. A lot of people like to talk about their kds or pets

Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,227,608 times
I just googled "good questions to ask at a work dinner party" and loads of answers came up. I recommend you do the same & maybe pick out the best and use those.

A lot of people love talking about themselves. You just have to find the right topic. Good luck

Old 01-20-2016, 02:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Drink a bit of alcohol right when you get there, and you should be fine.
I'd skip this. Too much alcohol and you could do something you regret and it could be a career limiting move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Aren't there things you want to know about them?? Aren't you naturally curious about where they grew up, what their families are like, what the do outside of work, etc?

You should ask about what you're wondering about.
I would do this. Just inquire about others' lives and keep quiet about your own. That can get you through one night.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:30 AM

11,399 posts, read 24,480,429 times
Plenty of people end up going to functions on their own. Since you're not in a relationship, you don't need the distraction of a date you hardly know.

Do the basics, introduce yourself to each person you meet, smile, nod, firm but not crushing handshake. Ask the strangers what department they're in, or how long they've been with the company. Be a good listener and respond to their questions to you in a few basic phrases. Afterwards tell them it was nice meeting them and that you look forward to seeing them again, and move on.

Maintain positive body language and don't fidget.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,367,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'd skip this. Too much alcohol and you could do something you regret and it could be a career limiting move.
I really meant a 'little' bit/just enough to relax . No one should be getting sloshed at company parties.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Plenty of people end up going to functions on their own. Since you're not in a relationship, you don't need the distraction of a date you hardly know.

Do the basics, introduce yourself to each person you meet, smile, nod, firm but not crushing handshake. Ask the strangers what department they're in, or how long they've been with the company. Be a good listener and respond to their questions to you in a few basic phrases. Afterwards tell them it was nice meeting them and that you look forward to seeing them again, and move on.

Maintain positive body language and don't fidget.
Network, network!

This poster is right...and stick to job related topics...I would not ask a bunch of random personal questions, you are the newbie.
This is your chance to discuss your special job related talents if you're asked.

Seriously, I think going alone is best, this is your debut, "your first impression" if you will. Why risk someone else mucking it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships