Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,254,918 times

Advertisements

You agreed to do something for your friend, then backed out at the last minute for your own convenience. How would you feel if she had done that to you? You really do appear to have behaved very selfishly. Even though being without internet for a weekend isn't an end-of-the world situation, you gave your word, then reneged when something better for you turned up. This isn't really about the internet; it's about keeping promises, even small ones and even when it's inconvenient.

It might take some time for her to trust you again. You failed to honor your word once in something small and relatively unimportant. She might always wonder whether she could count on you for something really significant as there is now evidence that your convenience takes precedence over your word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 11:53 AM

102 posts, read 311,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A house sitter? The OP was a houseguest for 4 months. Asked to do one thing, agrees, and than backs out.

OP sounds like the type of person who makes plans with you, than gets a better offer, and cancels the original plans.

Someone lets you stay with them for 4 months(that's a long time) you extend yourself a little when they ask a favor.
OP here...and while I definitely understand how someone could come to the same conclusion that you did about the scenario without any other supporting context, your summary isn't accurate.

I've been keenly aware of how gracious she's been by allowing me to stay with her, and like I mentioned in the OP, I have done favors and been as much of a support to her as I can over the last few months. My friend wouldn't dispute this. Said that to say, It's inaccurate to say "her friend asked for one thing and she backs out". We've done many things for each other over the last four months.

Anyway, my purpose isn't to get into "who's done the most for the other", I just thought that it would be totally unfair to not disclose that she allowed me to live with her. And like I said a bit earlier, in hindsight, I do wish I had done this favor for my friend.

Interesting to see the responses from you all, as they are exactly what I've had bouncing back and forth in my head regarding the whole scenario.

Hopefully I'll speak to her soon, and we can put this behind us.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:05 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,421,238 times
Was I a CRAPPY Friend?

Yes.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,570,167 times
You showed your true colors.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,636,263 times
Yes you were wrong. You told your friend you would do something for her and then didn't. It's that simple.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
OP here...and while I definitely understand how someone could come to the same conclusion that you did about the scenario without any other supporting context, your summary isn't accurate.

I've been keenly aware of how gracious she's been by allowing me to stay with her, and like I mentioned in the OP, I have done favors and been as much of a support to her as I can over the last few months. My friend wouldn't dispute this. Said that to say, It's inaccurate to say "her friend asked for one thing and she backs out". We've done many things for each other over the last four months.

Anyway, my purpose isn't to get into "who's done the most for the other", I just thought that it would be totally unfair to not disclose that she allowed me to live with her. And like I said a bit earlier, in hindsight, I do wish I had done this favor for my friend.

Interesting to see the responses from you all, as they are exactly what I've had bouncing back and forth in my head regarding the whole scenario.

Hopefully I'll speak to her soon, and we can put this behind us.
Nobody said it was. You asked if what you did was "crappy", it was.

Many years ago I spent a weekend helping a friend move. About a month later I bought a piece of furniture and I called them as I needed help getting it from the car to the house. I needed their help for about 10 minutes if that. They lived close by, but had to go workout.....LOL. I remember hanging up the phone and thinking I spent a whole weekend helping them move and they can't give me less than a half hour of their time.

It's not about keeping score, it's about it not being one sided.

I'm not saying you're one sided, but in this scenario you were wrong. You committed to doing something and than backed out.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM

206 posts, read 467,972 times
This sounds like a small inconvenience, some plans that didn't quite work out in a really stressful situation for both of you but it's nothing to break your friendship over. I don't think it's the grand Ceaser/Brutus-esque betrayal that people are making it out to be. If your friend really never wants to reconcile despite you making apologies and gestures, then there's probably something deeper behind it, though that isn't necessarily your fault either.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
You should have cancelled your whole install and helped your friend. She's probably making too big a deal out of it though.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:50 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
You were crappy and she needs to calm the F down.

It's just freakin internet.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This outsider's perspective is that you're all about yourself.

I don't care if you paid her for living at her place. It is an INCREDIBLE imposition to have someone in your space for four months. I know, we had a "friend" stay with us that long and had I known in advance how it would be, I never would have said Yes. I'll never do it again and I bet your friend won't, either.

When she needs your help, you blow her off. Unbelievable.

I agree. Very self centered of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships