Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 AM

529 posts, read 509,356 times

Advertisements

Specifically, if you had said something that in theory would put their job at risk but that every single person at work does and the managers know this but just turn a blind eye. Said comment being said in angry because in the days/weeks prior their was an issue the friend was not aware about you absolutely hated. So...this was like a jab...but went to fair and ended up being like a stab (back-stabbing).

BTW-We're not really "good friends", but I figure I should try to repair said friendship because it's the right thing to do. If this was a closer friend or long-long tiem friend I know we would end up back in each other's good graces because it has happened to me already...not job related though...just arguments/ extreme disagreements.

Any tips? i mean besides telling me I'm a horrible person (which I am) and not to do / speak thoughtless again or be petty (which) i'll try to avoid in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,619,028 times
you don't. chalk it down to experience.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:30 PM

16,584 posts, read 10,692,946 times
Trust is earned by being trustworthy. One must be doubly trustworthy if one is to have any chance of overcoming a betrayal.

To your coworker, you apologize profusely and accept full responsibility for your words. (If the coworker was doing something to annoy you, bring that up in a separate discussion.) If there are any repercussions from management, you go to them and try to deflect the punishment by accepting responsibility for it.

And in the future, you guard your mouth more carefully.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,649 times
Yeah there's no magic wand.

Don't worry we all have "if I had a chance to redo" moments.

They're called Life Lessons.

I remember talking to a woman who was older than me at the gym, when my marriage was breaking down, whether or not I should Keep Trying.

She shared a Greek Saying that has stuck with me ever since:

If you have a beautiful tea cup, and you drop it - you can glue it back together but it will never, ever be the Same tea cup.

I never got back with my ex.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,679,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Trust is earned by being trustworthy. One must be doubly trustworthy if one is to have any chance of overcoming a betrayal.

To your coworker, you apologize profusely and accept full responsibility for your words. (If the coworker was doing something to annoy you, bring that up in a separate discussion.) If there are any repercussions from management, you go to them and try to deflect the punishment by accepting responsibility for it.

And in the future, you guard your mouth more carefully.
Agree, also learn the differences between friends and coworkers.

OP was very vague as to what occurred, but some people make the mistake of mixing their work life and their social life. It's best to keep them separate.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,583,912 times
I don't understand your OP, so I really can't say. Need more info. It's too cryptic.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand your OP, so I really can't say. Need more info. It's too cryptic.
It's very cryptic. Can't tell if it was something work related or personal.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
At a former employer I had a friend in an office a few doors down from mine. We used to go across the street for fro-yo every day, sometimes had lunch together, etc. I thought we were pretty close. He even kissed me once, which was sweet.

I got wind of an opportunity to make twice (really) what I was making at this company because they needed someone with my expertise. I interviewed for the job and got it. I told my friend right away. I thought he'd be happy for me.

Instead, he went straight to HR and tattled. Later I asked why. "Because you leaving affects my job." He had OCD and everything in his work had to be just right or he couldn't function.

I couldn't forgive him for blabbing. I wanted to. It wasn't a huge violation of trust, but if he did it once I thought he'd probably do it again.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
At a former employer I had a friend in an office a few doors down from mine. We used to go across the street for fro-yo every day, sometimes had lunch together, etc. I thought we were pretty close. He even kissed me once, which was sweet.

I got wind of an opportunity to make twice (really) what I was making at this company because they needed someone with my expertise. I interviewed for the job and got it. I told my friend right away. I thought he'd be happy for me.

Instead, he went straight to HR and tattled. Later I asked why. "Because you leaving affects my job." He had OCD and everything in his work had to be just right or he couldn't function.

I couldn't forgive him for blabbing. I wanted to. It wasn't a huge violation of trust, but if he did it once I thought he'd probably do it again.

See this is what I am talking about. This was a coworker, not a friend. Going for coffee, or out to lunch during the work week isn't friendship.

That's not to say you can't develop real friendships through work, but just passing time with a coworker during the work day isn't friendship.

You never tell anyone you're interviewing whom you work with, I don't care how close you think you are.

Sorry, that was foolish of you to say anything to anyone you work with.

Blame anyone, blame yourself. "loose lips sink ships".

Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM

325 posts, read 256,591 times
You don't. Don't betray people. And if you do, go maximal because you should expect repercussions if you fail. Betrayal is the mark of a coward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships