Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:42 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

My Dh and I were talking the other day about things people say, and how some people have real peeves about common catch-phrases.

For instance, his former manager hated when people start a sentence with, "To be honest..." His explanation is that makes it sound as if you're always lying and now, suddenly, you're deciding to be honest.

I sometimes bristle when a person starts a sentence with, "You should..." or "You need to..." I don't especially like being told what to do, and when the suggestion is something I'd never do in a million years, I'm usually stuck just awkwardly nodding and muttering some sort of noncommittal response.

I have coworker who hates "How are ya?" when said as a greeting (i.e. not expecting a real answer). She screws with people by responding, "Horrible!" just to see what they do.

I had another friend who hated misuse of the word "like". "I'm, like, so broke!" (Are you similar to broke or are you actually broke?)

My nephew hates "Hella". I said it once on Facebook and he replied, "Oh no, you didn't just say that." LOL

Oh, and Louis CK did a comedy routine on the over-use of the word "Hilarious!" People saying, "That's hilarious!" when really, it was only marginally funny. As someone who used to always say, "That's hilarious!" I'm now completely self-conscious about it, haha.

Got any to add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I hate when people use words altogether, I think we should all communicate through the secks.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:13 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I really get annoyed when people call everyone Dude, even women and girls. I want to tell them to go out and get an IQ.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Dude or BRO or SIS.

LIKE.

"know what I mean?" behind every sentence.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
The "said no one ever" meme drives me bat s**t crazy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=said...ih=685&dpr=0.9

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
In a lot of business conversations, I hear people say "circle back" as in "I'll go get that info and circle back with you next week." I first heard it about a year ago from the people who work at one of our insurance carriers (everyone in their office seemed to use the term). Then I heard another vendor use it. Then a different insurance carrier. Now people in my own company are saying it all the time. It drives me nuts!

I mentioned this one in another thread: when people say "I'm really OCD" or "She's so OCD." OCD is a noun, not an adjective. You can say "I'm so obsessive-compulsive" or maybe even "She's so O-C" but saying "she's really OCD about that" is like saying "he's so diabetes" or "I'm cancer."

I hate, hate, hate, when people say "ekspecially." They put that "k" sound in there for no reason. They might be the same people who drink "expresso" instead of espresso.

Speaking of "ironic," I hate when people use the word "ironic" incorrectly, thinking that it means "coincidental." "Hey isn't that ironic? He and I are wearing the exact same shirt?" No, no, idiot, it's not ironic at all. Though, when a huge obese co-worker said that it was so "ironic" that she ran into another co-worker at the gym, I accepted it, seeing the obvious irony.

"Hate on." Where the heck did that come from? "Don't hate on me." "They're hating on her because she's so pretty." No, it's "don't hate me," and if you say "hate on" then I probably will hate you.

"Literally" when it's used in a way that means the opposite of what it really means. "I was literally peeing myself laughing." Really? You literally peed yourself, right there in the office? There's actual urine on the chair? I say "I almost peed myself" all the time, and it's almost never literally true.
"She's 9 months pregnant, and she is literally as big as a house." No, she's figuratively as big as a house. People seem to think that they can just insert "literally" to emphasize any descriptor.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Dude or BRO or SIS.

LIKE.

"know what I mean?" behind every sentence.

I know someone who says, "you follow?" after just about every sentence. Drives me batpoop.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:45 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Is it too obvious to complain about "I could care less"?

I also am driven to distraction by "change [something] up" (what does the "up" mean?) and "waiting on" when what is meant is "waiting for".

Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I don't like it when people on CD start a post with the word, "So ..."

As in "So I've been dating this guy for a month now ...." Just a weird pet peeve of mine.

Through work, I unfortunately hear of lot of men talk about "skin in the game." Makes my skin crawl.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is it too obvious to complain about "I could care less"?
That makes me crazy and when I correct people on it and explain, they look at me like .

Another one that makes me crazy is "a whole nother". "Nother" is not a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships