Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:01 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

This is about relationships with the people that you can trust the most in your life.

My son just had a bad experience, making him jump into his car at night and drive 160 miles for a family medical emergency. It ended up OK in the end, but it gave us a really good opportunity to talk about what we each wanted in a possible end of life situation.

Anyone who might end up making the decision for you must know, very clearly, what your wishes are on the matter.

My personal feeling about it is that I don't want to live in a rest home, or live comatose, or live not remembering who I am or who the people are around me. On the other hand, if I have a good chance to get up and walk afterwards, bring on those cardiac paddles and hit me again. My son understands and I trust him to make that decision for me and not leave me to suffer because he lacks the courage to do it.

My ex has a horror of ending up in a rest home. He refuses to sign a Do Not Resuscitate. He's given a power of attorney to his girlfriend. My son says that in no way would the girlfriend be able to make that decision, so it will probably fall to my son, as the only close relative.

This is a horrible position to be in, for both parties, but it needs to be discussed. The end of life decision should be given to someone who can be trusted to do what you want and who won't keep you alive despite your wishes, because they can't face the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is about relationships with the people that you can trust the most in your life.

My son just had a bad experience, making him jump into his car at night and drive 160 miles for a family medical emergency. It ended up OK in the end, but it gave us a really good opportunity to talk about what we each wanted in a possible end of life situation.

Anyone who might end up making the decision for you must know, very clearly, what your wishes are on the matter.

My personal feeling about it is that I don't want to live in a rest home, or live comatose, or live not remembering who I am or who the people are around me. On the other hand, if I have a good chance to get up and walk afterwards, bring on those cardiac paddles and hit me again. My son understands and I trust him to make that decision for me and not leave me to suffer because he lacks the courage to do it.

My ex has a horror of ending up in a rest home. He refuses to sign a Do Not Resuscitate. He's given a power of attorney to his girlfriend. My son says that in no way would the girlfriend be able to make that decision, so it will probably fall to my son, as the only close relative.

This is a horrible position to be in, for both parties, but it needs to be discussed. The end of life decision should be given to someone who can be trusted to do what you want and who won't keep you alive despite your wishes, because they can't face the end.

If your ex's GF has the POA for health care for your ex, than she will be the one to making the decisions not his/your son. If your ex wants his son to follow though on his stated wishes/decisions then he needs to change his POA to reflect who is in charge of making those decisions.

But, your ex needs to be honest with everyone. If he does not want to "live as a vegetable" (pardon my language) then he needs to state it in his POA. At least in my state, everything needs to listed, do you want a feeding tube, do you want hydration, do you want pain medication, do you want antibiotics, do you want to be a respirator, etc. etc.?

IMHO, It is not fair for your ex to tell his son verbally what he wants him to do, but not to have his wishes put into the legal document (POA).

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-02-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 03:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Your ex should get a copy of his state's advance directives and put his wishes in writing.

Advance Medical Directives: Facts on Living Wills and Others

Download Your State's Advance Directives - CaringInfo

I agree it is a horrible position to be placed in. A parent should do better by his or her children, especially if there is more than one child and the possibility that they might disagree about what to do.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If your ex has a horror of living in a rest home but refuses to sign a DNR, it increases his chances of living in a rest home. I'm just saying.

A general POA doesn't give a person authority to make health care decisions so the girlfriend might not have any authority to do anything. That's usually a separate document called a medical POA. There's also a physician's directive where a person can put in writing how they want end-of-life issues handled.

This doesn't have to be a grim, gruesome discussion. Everyone dies and there's no point in pretending it won't happen. If your ex doesn't make his wishes clear and your son ends up making a life-or-death decision, he'll just have to do what he thinks is best and not look back.

Since you have specific wishes, you should put them in writing. If you google "end of life decisions" and your state, you'll probably find forms and instructions for filling them out. That's better than trusting your son to do the right thing. One, he might not be present when the decision needs to be made and two, he might not have the courage to make it.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Have you done a search? Seems like this has probably been discussed in the Medical forum or somewhere.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
My mother's DNR is on her refrigerator door. And, just so it can't be missed, there is a note on her kitchen door directing EMTs to it. Her doctor has a copy, and so do I, as her medical proxy. It's a subject that our family has been very open about.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My mother's DNR is on her refrigerator door. And, just so it can't be missed, there is a note on her kitchen door directing EMTs to it. Her doctor has a copy, and so do I, as her medical proxy. It's a subject that our family has been very open about.
Doctors should have a copy.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I know as my mother gets older I'm going to have to have this convo with her. I'm 90% certain she wants a DNR because she would never want to be a burden to me (though she fails at that at times) and she is religious and believes in the afterlife and doesn't want an anchor on her holding her up from getting there.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I know as my mother gets older I'm going to have to have this convo with her. I'm 90% certain she wants a DNR because she would never want to be a burden to me (though she fails at that at times) and she is religious and believes in the afterlife and doesn't want an anchor on her holding her up from getting there.
It is a good idea to have the talk. I was totally wrong about what I thought my mom would want. After a lot of wrangling and a hospital visit, she got the paperwork done. I am so glad and relieved.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
It is a good idea to have the talk. I was totally wrong about what I thought my mom would want. After a lot of wrangling and a hospital visit, she got the paperwork done. I am so glad and relieved.
I agree that it is important to actually discuss it. I have heard other adult children say that they thought that their parent/parents would want one thing and the parents actually wanted the total opposite thing.

Also, it is important for younger people, even in their 20s & 30s to have POA for healthcare. It is an easy form to fill out (once you figure what you want to happen in a worst case scenario) and it is valid indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships