Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times

Advertisements

This might belong in the Employment forum.

I'm looking back at the past few years, and I think the root cause of all the anguish and setbacks in my life boils down to getting hired to do what I want to do, and wanting to live where I want to.

I used to work somewhere with constantly gray and dreary weather, a couple people at work suffered from season affective disorder, everyone in the local area looked miserable, barely anything to do after work, my social life was in cryofreeze. But it was the type of work that allowed me to excel, the work was interesting to me, I collected recommendations and other awards.

I later relocated to a place with much nicer weather, and a lot more going on after work. But it was highly strict and competitive, because it was a desired location. My social and romantic life was going in the right direction, but I constantly had to look over my shoulder to make sure I don't get fired.

The above stories repeated themselves (snowy, harsh weather, miserable people, successful work-- great weather, great after-work activities, restored social life, cutthroat work environment).

What are ways to reach a balance in your job and environment? I would say that I'd prefer the stability of a job that I enjoy over a location that I enjoy. But I only have so much time on this earth. Do I really want to give up my life to a job that doesn't give a toss about me at the end of the day, and spend every day in a place that doesn't help my life after I clock out of work? I tried to "make an island" out of that bad location, but at the end of the day I'm just doing a lot of daydreaming to keep my mind away from the reality of my living situation.

Like I said, I was most recently in a job where it felt like I wasn't good enough to impress anyone. I do IT work, I restored several services in the office that were completely out of order for months, and I was still let go before my probation period ended. And in my absence, the office duties run smoother because of the services I was able to fix. So my time off of work felt like eating something extremely delicious, but only having an extremely small portion of it. I rationed my enjoyment for the short time it lasted.

I'm not sure what to ask precisely. Is there a better solution or better way to come to terms with the dilemma of working to live vs living to work, other than "it's what you make it," "you take the good and you take the bad," "it is what it is?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 03:05 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I don't know. I think a lot of people have asked that question. I know I did and sometimes still do even though I don't currently work outside the home. The overwhelming answer for me always goes back to needing that job. Fortunately, I can find happiness in a lot of places. It's up to us to make our own happiness anyway. One thing I've done for myself is found something to like even if it isn't where I want to be. For me, that's a balance of having someplace I enjoy coming home to and designing my own adventures and having something to look forward to. If I have something I can control, then I'm usually ok with wherever I am.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Even in desired locations there are many types of jobs. I am trying to adjust to a more hardcore work environment. But I have had plenty of less intense jobs too. In the same region and industry.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:11 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships