Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,296,038 times

Advertisements

I went to the prom with a friend and had a great time. It was fun getting dressed up and acting like.. a grownup... for the evening. It was so different from when we'd just hang out together. Yes, he ordered the corsage and I think you should too. If you're not sure what color or whatever, ask her.

Relax and have fun.

Here in NY a lot of prom goers rent limo's for the evening, but there's usually a few couples that share it and split the cost so it doesn't add up to that much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:58 PM

16,371 posts, read 12,367,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
In general, people who are out of high school and coming back for a prom is uncomfortable. Take that into account and be very attentive to her. As an example, if she wants to go after an hour and a half, then do so.
I disagree with this. It's his prom. He shouldn't have to leave early. That's not so say that he should just tell her to suck it up and deal. But if she's feeling uncomfortable, try to figure a way to make her feel more comfortable. There's no need to leave early when he's clearly been looking forward to it.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,886,507 times
I have to wonder if the OP has ulterior motives on asking this "just friend" to the prom. If he does, he's in for some serious disappointment.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,656,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I have to wonder if the OP has ulterior motives on asking this "just friend" to the prom. If he does, he's in for some serious disappointment.
I do think it seems like he has a big time crush on her. Not so sure I would classify him asking her to the prom as having "ulterior motives" though. He's just a kid and seems like a really sweet guy. I hope he's not going to be seriously disappointed.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I do think it seems like he has a big time crush on her. Not so sure I would classify him asking her to the prom as having "ulterior motives" though. He's just a kid and seems like a really sweet guy. I hope he's not going to be seriously disappointed.
If there is one piece of advice I would give to young guys it would be this-

Be respectfully upfront with your intentions. It will make things a lot less confusing and prevent a lot of misunderstandings and disappointments in your life and in the lives of others with whom you come in contact.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:50 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,834,226 times
Quote:

Be respectfully upfront with your intentions. It will make things a lot less confusing and prevent a lot of misunderstandings and disappointments in your life and in the lives of others with whom you come in contact.
Great advice for more "mature" guys, too. As well as for the ladies.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,834,226 times
The reason that I suggested that the OP avoid blaring hard rock or rap music while transporting the young lady to and from the prom is because most girls like to feel at least a little like Cinderella on the big night. Music of those genres is hardly likely to set that kind of mood, and a good deal of the "lyrics" (I dislike using such a word about something so completely un-lyrical) can also be extremely sexist, violent and disrespectful to women.

Best avoided on prom night.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Very good advice to anyone!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,892,696 times
Be prepared for getting asked to the after prom parties. At my school, no one stayed at the actual dance for long. Everyone went to hotels for after parties, which got pretty scandalous! Now that I have kids I'm kind of horrified. Of course our parents thought we at the dance.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The reason that I suggested that the OP avoid blaring hard rock or rap music while transporting the young lady to and from the prom is because most girls like to feel at least a little like Cinderella on the big night. Music of those genres is hardly likely to set that kind of mood, and a good deal of the "lyrics" (I dislike using such a word about something so completely un-lyrical) can also be extremely sexist, violent and disrespectful to women.

Best avoided on prom night.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure what you meant because I wasn't even thinking of the violent lyrics at all. Now I understand what you meant and I totally agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships