Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,623 times

Advertisements

My parents are financially irresponsible. I've had to delay school/career/personal life objectives to deal with their fires many times and it has left me about a decade behind my peers. My parents are nearing retirement age and dead broke. The writing is on the wall: if I stay here their lives will consume mine.

I've decided that at 33 it is high time I finally begin my life, and that will require being away from them. So, at the end of the summer I am moving across the country. My intellectual side knows this is the best idea but I am wrestling with the inevitable outcome of leaving them on their own. I would like feedback from anyone who has dealt with this issue (both those who decided to stay and those who decided to go). Did you regret your decision? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Get away as soon as you can and don't help them financially any more.

Also, go to Co-dependents Anonymous or Alanon meetings. You will be surprised how your story fits in with other people's stories and will help you find the right path from there.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:23 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
at 33, its a no brainer, you know what to do, you dont even need us to tell you.

you know that.

move away from that insanity and go enjoy your life.
you only get one, this is not a dress rehersal.
dont let two irresponsible fools ruin your life.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
at 33, its a no brainer, you know what to do, you dont even need us to tell you.

you know that.

move away from that insanity and go enjoy your life.
you only get one, this is not a dress rehersal.
dont let two irresponsible fools ruin your life.
Bingo and ditto.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Agree with everyone else. Although I'm not in your situation, there really is no debate, especially at age 33. There's only one question for you to answer: Will you be CONTENT and HAPPY serving as your parents provider at the expense of your own life until they die? Or do you want your own life?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 AM

30,499 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Moving away will help but the real issue is your not being able to say no to them. They can ask for money over the phone and/or by email just as easily as showing at on your door.

Although moving will help you break the pattern, it is not the solution. Your acknowledgement that it's time to end it is a big start in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships