Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 PM

429 posts, read 390,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
When you're unemployed and the friend has a job? Awesome! Let's be friends.
LOL - let me call that mooch that's mad at me. He can giver her the $1,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 01:47 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
My gut just told me not to give her the money. I doubt she would lend me this type of money if I asked her.
I expect she might send me some more scathing texts like how I'm such a bad friend, how I don't trust her, how I insulted her by talking about signing notes,etc. Frankly I feel I never want to see her again or speak to her. I know that might be mean. But I felt it was very arrogant to ask me for that kind of money and almost expect and assume I would say "of course." - and not even expect to be paid back? She even thanked me "in advance." "Oh and thanks in advance." really....I don't want to speak to her, eat out with her, no more movies...I don't think I should even answer the phone if she calls. She needs some time to think about her behavior.

Had she signed that note and you had given her the money you'd just be standing in a long line of creditors and would never get it back even then.

Poor money manager - poor judgement.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Had she signed that note and you had given her the money you'd just be standing in a long line of creditors and would never get it back even then.

Poor money manager - poor judgement.
Of course. You're right<!> I hear stories all the time how siblings feud forever over these things. Parents and children. In-laws. Every time Judge Judy or some other court show goes on, you have lawsuits where money was loaned and never returned. I know all this. She thought mentioning "but we've know each other 37 yrs" is supposed to make me feel ashamed or bad?

I really never said no, I just gave her certain conditions that I knew would make the loan unpalatable.She reacted exactly like I figured she would. She was extremely offended by the terms. My first instinct was to fire off some texts. I saved them but never sent them. The damage is already done. What is me telling her off going to accomplish at this point?

Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
What strikes me as weird about this friend of yours was that she never explained the situation to you and gave you a chance to offer a loan...or not. Her entitlement is breathtaking.

When I was single and I'd just bought my condo, I had some sudden and unexpected expenses. I was telling this to a friend and he offered to loan me some cash. I took him up on it but insisted on a short repayment term. I even printed payment coupons on my dot matrix printer.

Loan was repaid on time, with interest. But ask people for money? Never.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
Even if she apologizes to me, and she's too smug for that, the "friendship" is not the same now. I won't go out and eat with her, or see movies or anything else. Maybe...maybe- I'll speak to her over the phone for 10 minutes once every 6 months.Maybe that. No more outings..seriously. She's a real piece...
Why would you be going out to eat with her or movies? You already said her credit card was declined at the restaurant.

She should be eating at home and getting movies at the local library for FREE, not spending any money when she is asking for money from you or anyone else.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Oh but she did explain it to me. I didn't like the explanation. It made HER look irresponsible. Her lengthy pitiful text said it's the end of the month and by 1st of April, she has "all these automatic payments that she just can't delay." But because she's in the process of applying for that home equity loan, she has to show the bank that she pays on time and her accounts look great, etc. " I've been hearing this repetitive sad story about this loan for over a year already, OK!! IF she was approved, - Why is she jamming up all the credit cards and then while eating out, her card gets declined? Because she's responsible with her money? She makes about 80,000/year. But yet she can't qualify for a 100,000- 250,000 loan? She claimed she has amazing credit. Ok maybe all that is true. But why is it MY problem that she can't budget, figure all this out? She bought a new SUV car less than a year ago. She had a car before, nothing wrong with it. She went out on some spree and bought all the Apple toys out there. They have 3 tvs, all of them Apple-run, she has 3 ipads. Some for the kids. Do they really need that? She has an iPod. She just got a brand new iPhone. Everything is about Apple in that house. Really?? - But then she has to ask me for $1,000?

IT's ridiculous. And the house renovation is A MONEY PIT.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:28 PM

She wanted to put a pool in the backyard.She fixated on that last year.Then it was all about a jacuzzi/hot tub. This is in New York, not California or Florida where homes are spacious and come with pools. She's not married to a doctor or man with a 7 figure income. She's a 51 yr old single mother with 3 young kids and 2 non working adults in the home. If you want to live like you make 6 or 7 figures, and you're a woman, you need to work on those goals earlier in life. YES you need to marry that kind of guy, if you want that lifestyle. But what is going on now...I think maybe she's borderline...or on some kind of drugs/addiction. She's not rational.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
It sounds like you are struggling with a bit of guilt for not GIVING her a grand.. Don't. What about you? You may have the money now but what about next year - 2 years from now?5 years from now?

After reading about all her purchases you had better never loan her money - any amount of money.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It sounds like you are struggling with a bit of guilt for not GIVING her a grand.. Don't. What about you? You may have the money now but what about next year - 2 years from now?5 years from now?

After reading about all her purchases you had better never loan her money - any amount of money.
Maybe that's why I'm so upset and mad. Because I know it's nervy to be so bad with managing money yet come to me, to ask ME for money. Why, is it because I'm good at not having alot and managing it? So if she screws me over and never pays me back...it won't kill me? I'll just "manage my poor old self"? it's like what, I won't miss it as much? Please explain the reasoning to me. I just don't get it. "How can Canaletto miss what she's never had..." Take some more from the poor so you can buy some more junk and bloat yourself some more??

Yes. I am struggling with a little bit of guilt. 37 yrs is a long time to know somebody. Her mother and mine were good friends for many years. But rational wisdom dictates: I'm not working right now.She's had the same job for over 15 years. She makes a really good salary. She's smug about it. I never asked her for help in my life. I don't like to owe $ to people who are ***holes. And I don't like smug people because they make more than me and more than others. And they keep bragging it.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If she was to pay it back April 8, that is like a week, why cant she wait a week and get her check to get the money she needs.???? She could even hold off the mafia for one week, what is the urgency that she needs the money right now, sounds really fishy.

Does she have anything she can pawn? Or how about a car title loan? We recently pawned some jewelry for under 10 days, there was no interest, just a $10 service charge! Of course, after 10 days, those interest rates really rack up, and I would never suggest a car title loan except under the most dire of circumstances. But if she's able to pay you back in a week, she can pay back the pawn or car title loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships