Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well this is on you in regards to a coworker. Quit playing Dr. Phil at work, you're there to work not get deeply involved with personal issues of coworkers.

Really, really bad idea. For one thing this person can decide at some point they have "overshared", and now find you a threat because you know too much of their baggage.

A simple "I'm not comfortable discussing such personal issues with a coworker"....nip it in the bud, and don't see them outside of the office.

I understand about wanting to help people, because I have done that as well. But I have also learned to step back when I see repeated behavior when you have helped out in the past.

But when it comes to coworkers, don't get involved with their personal dramas.
I hear what you're saying. I expected this person to take care of himself once I gave him a push, but the opposite happened. I didn't realize just how needy and boundary-less he was. I am being too compassionate here and that is my problem in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You don't attract them, they troll the universe for anyone who will listen to them and put up with them and help them.

If they come by your desk to blab, one technique someone taught me was to give them something to do for you when they come by to chat, so that they won't want to come by anymore. "Oh, I'm glad you're here. I'm swamped. Would you please take these letters to the mailroom for me?" Then, look extremely busy. Picking up the phone works really well, after you give them something to do.

Try to be less available until they figure it out.
I'm going to have to do this. I know this person in question is going to feel like I'm abandoning them, but it's what has to happen. I just honestly thought that being there for this person in a small way would be enough, not open the floodgates.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I'm going to have to do this. I know this person in question is going to feel like I'm abandoning them, but it's what has to happen. I just honestly thought that being there for this person in a small way would be enough, not open the floodgates.
No More Snow gave you excellent advice.

Don't feel guilty, they will move on to someone else in the office.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 PM

84 posts, read 79,833 times
I also attract these types of people. I'm dealing with one these days who recently gave me a sob story about how no one stays in his life for long, that people use him and leave, that he has no one to depend on, etc. All of which hits all my guilt buttons, ensuring I'll be available to him whenever he needs me, indefinitely. Sigh.

Are you sure this person is looking for advice? I've learned that sometimes they don't actually want solutions, they just want someone to nod, commiserate and agree that yes, their situation (or life) is awful. They don't want practical solutions, they just want validation.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyFicket View Post
I also attract these types of people. I'm dealing with one these days who recently gave me a sob story about how no one stays in his life for long, that people use him and leave, that he has no one to depend on, etc. All of which hits all my guilt buttons, ensuring I'll be available to him whenever he needs me, indefinitely. Sigh.

Are you sure this person is looking for advice? I've learned that sometimes they don't actually want solutions, they just want someone to nod, commiserate and agree that yes, their situation (or life) is awful. They don't want practical solutions, they just want validation.
I call them hypochondriacs in every way. They feel their life sucks and want everyone to know it.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I'm not using the term "needy" loosely here. I'm talking about people who are endless complainers, who feel powerless and who want ME to swoop into their lives and "make it better".

While I don't mind being there for someone, I am really starting to feel the drain associated with this type of person. If I offer someone advice, my expectation is that they're going to take it and run with it in order to help themselves, because that is what I would do. But what I find is that they take the advice, don't really act upon it, and then come back for more and more advice. Or more and more sympathy. Or more and more attention.

And I really don't want that in my life.

How do you build boundaries against this type of person?
Voicemail.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM

429 posts, read 390,779 times
voicemail.They might start to text. Don't respond. Knock on your door? Don't answer.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I had an elderly woman in my life that should have been my mother, but when her husband died she depended on me for everything. I was painting her house, cleaning her gutters and balancing her check book. She was totally helpless as her husband did everything but clean the house and cook the meals.

I was happy to help her but it went on for two years and she grew more and more demanding and less and less grateful. She turned on my husband who helped her quite a bit as well. That was the deal breaker for me. I cut all ties with her and she passed a few years later.

I don't regret doing what I did for her. It was a way of paying her back for the salvation they gave me from a miserable childhood. I do regret how out of control it became towards the end of our friendship. When you have a long term relationship with someone that was wonderful for decades you can't just turn your back on them during their time of need. I reminded her about all of the nice things my husband did for her but she continued to complain about something so minor that I got up and walked out of her life forever. She never called to apologize so I never went back.

I met someone about three years ago that is ten years older then I am and quite ill. She was fun to be with in the beginning but over the last year she has become stubborn, narcissistic and needy. I don't feel comfortable kicking her to the curb because she has no one. Her son lives in California and wants nothing to do with her. I will help her but I have backed off quite a bit.

It's a difficult decision to not help someone who is needy, especially if you're a giver and not a taker. I think the key is knowing your priorities and setting boundaries accordingly. John is my priority and will always come first in my life.

Walking away from needy coworkers? Child's play. Walking away from someone you love who becomes toxic. Not so easy.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:17 PM

429 posts, read 390,779 times
No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I had an elderly woman in my life that should have been my mother, but when her husband died she depended on me for everything. I was painting her house, cleaning her gutters and balancing her check book. She was totally helpless as her husband did everything but clean the house and cook the meals.

I was happy to help her but it went on for two years and she grew more and more demanding and less and less grateful. She turned on my husband who helped her quite a bit as well. That was the deal breaker for me. I cut all ties with her and she passed a few years later.

I don't regret doing what I did for her. It was a way of paying her back for the salvation they gave me from a miserable childhood. I do regret how out of control it became towards the end of our friendship. When you have a long term relationship with someone that was wonderful for decades you can't just turn your back on them during their time of need. I reminded her about all of the nice things my husband did for her but she continued to complain about something so minor that I got up and walked out of her life forever. She never called to apologize so I never went back.

I met someone about three years ago that is ten years older then I am and quite ill. She was fun to be with in the beginning but over the last year she has become stubborn, narcissistic and needy. I don't feel comfortable kicking her to the curb because she has no one. Her son lives in California and wants nothing to do with her. I will help her but I have backed off quite a bit.

It's a difficult decision to not help someone who is needy, especially if you're a giver and not a taker. I think the key is knowing your priorities and setting boundaries accordingly. John is my priority and will always come first in my life.

Walking away from needy coworkers? Child's play. Walking away from someone you love who becomes toxic. Not so easy.
The problem with helping someone like you mentioned is the first time you say "no" to something you're now the bad guy/gal.

It could be something minor like they ask you to take them to the store(a store you have driven them to a dozen times or more), but for some reason you can't do it this particular day, now you're a bum to them, forgetting how many times you did accommodate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships