Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is it rude to offer a handshake when offered a hug?
yes 46 31.51%
no 100 68.49%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 02:20 PM

83 posts, read 77,815 times

Advertisements

Hugging has reached epidemic proportions.
I don't, so I won't, at least not publicly.
If hugger-freaks are put off, GOOD!

I figure that all it will take is a 10% rejection rate and then they think twice about 'assuming' the position!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 02:44 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Give them some tongue

Old 04-02-2016, 03:00 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,857 times
Though I probably won't initiate a hug, if a well-endowed woman wants to hug me, great!

Old 04-02-2016, 05:15 PM

297 posts, read 276,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Im not the type that try to shake people's hands unless it's formal or business

I only like hugs from young pretty ladies

my family never says stuff like "I love you" that sounds silly to say that stuff to a relative

to me only a boyfriend / girlfriend or husband & wife say stuff like that
do you mind telling me your age? i find it very interesting that you hug only young pretty ladies. I see this a lot, actually, but i've never heard anyone so bluntly admit it. Hugging is, to young men (or even old men) solely to feel young women's bodies, and often is their only chance to do so. Don't take this personally, buddy. I am only trying to find truth about the human male.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:54 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Though I probably won't initiate a hug, if a well-endowed woman wants to hug me, great!
ok calm down, guys. A hug when greeting u is almost ALWAYS non-sexual, so don't get urselves all excited and thirsty. How desperate! ew.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:39 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I love hugs and cuddling and stuff, but i want to reserve that stuff for those who i really am intimate with. Often times when i am with a friend or something, and they bump into a friend of theirs, then introduce me, and already they want to give me a hug. I don't feel comfortable with that. Also, sometimes my mom's friends act too friendly too soon - offering hugs after just seeing me once or twice. What's up with our hugging culture? hugs should be reserved for those you feel you love, not strangers. I feel very uncomfortable hugging strangers.

Is it rude to extend my hand, signaling an offer for a handshake when offered a hug from someone i'm rather unfamiliar with?

Either offer a handshake or, easily enough, take a couple steps back from the hugger.

I have a pet peeve. When women in power greet their male counterparts with hugs. Or when a male in power automatically hugs women without asking for permission.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:30 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
ok calm down, guys. A hug when greeting u is almost ALWAYS non-sexual, so don't get urselves all excited and thirsty. How desperate! ew.
Um, sometimes it's not. I've had guys I've met never lift their eyes and their hands are always ready to reach out and touch someone. Sometimes I want to tap them on the head and go, "Yoohoo, I'm up here!"

Old 04-03-2016, 02:16 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
I love hugs and getting hugs from everyone. I feel like it makes people much Closer when greeting, as opposed to a handshake which feels really cold and unfriendly sometimes! Besided, giving a handshake to a girl or a friend you're close with? Awwwkward! Ugh hugs are much better for this, in fact in some countries its a hug and many kisses on the cheek...in russian culture if you're leaving the house for a trip you're gonna get like a thousand cheek kisses lol

Old 04-03-2016, 06:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I love hugs and cuddling and stuff, but i want to reserve that stuff for those who i really am intimate with. Often times when i am with a friend or something, and they bump into a friend of theirs, then introduce me, and already they want to give me a hug. I don't feel comfortable with that. Also, sometimes my mom's friends act too friendly too soon - offering hugs after just seeing me once or twice. What's up with our hugging culture? hugs should be reserved for those you feel you love, not strangers. I feel very uncomfortable hugging strangers.

Is it rude to extend my hand, signaling an offer for a handshake when offered a hug from someone i'm rather unfamiliar with?
I'm very old fashioned with this. I agree with you. The "hugging culture" is newish. It was not that common even 20 years ago. Well, at least not where I live. I don't like hugging people who are actually strangers or whom I barely know. I do extend my hand for a handskakes.

I also can't stand people calling me by my first name almost immediately upon meeting them. For me it's rude and not polite.

However once I know you I'm okay with being a little more affectionate.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:45 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Don't come down south, then. We hug everybody! Maybe not people we just met, but definitely people we already know.

If you'd prefer to shake than hug, you'll have to be quick on the draw when you find yourself meeting people. If someone is already coming toward you with open arms, then yes, offering a handshake "instead" could be perceived as a rejection.

Standing a step or two back farther than you might normally will add a "barrier."
I've been to Alabama a bunch of times and I didn't notice this so much there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships