Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:52 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anyone asking other people to pay for a funeral have an obligation to do it as cheaply as possible. Direct cremation is relatively cheap and wonderfully sensible.
Some religions don't allow cremation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Catholics didn't used to, but they do now.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:44 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
We have an entitlement society now.

There is now a trend for weddings where couples create websites and tell you what fund you can contribute to, their honeymoon fund, their we want to buy a house fund.
That's gross.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:56 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I've never known that to be a practice. How would you know what's in the envelopes of a funeral you attend? I most often see a charity specified where the surviving family members would like donations sent.
In rural Montana it has been common practice "forever" to slide a bill or two into the envelop with the sympathy card $20, $50, or $100. In families with few resources it quietly helps survivors. For families with resources it typically ends up as a local educational scholarship named in deceased honor or a local good works project.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I haven't either. Putting money in sympathy cards??? Like a birthday card except the person is dead?

Never...ever in my life heard of this, or done it, obviously. Hmmm.

I joked before about my husband disposing of me but in reality I have asked to be cremated. It's not just that it's a slightly more economically feasible option, it's more because I don't see the use of my body lying in the ground to rot slowly. I'm not using it, schools or hospitals should harvest what they need out of it and after that I want what remains to take up as little space as possible...it's not my earth any more at that point, I want to be inconspicuous in it for the next person to fill up.

I'm wondering...and I know this is going to sound gross so I'll just come out with it, I can't think of a delicate way to put this. What does the county/state do with bodies when the family literally says it can't afford to bury or cremate the person? Obviously they don't just say "Well then tough, hang onto the body." I'm sure there are laws about body disposal...So what happens if literally nobody can or will pay for a burial of a dead person? It must happen.
I have 2 acquaintances who lost their husbands and had no money at all to bury them. Both were given options of letting the medical college nearby use the bodies for a year. At the end of a year, the body was cremated and given back to the family. One of the fellas was taken to a body farm where it was used for forensic training purposes. (ICK, right?) I personally can't imagine doing that with any of my loved ones, but there are options in place for those who are destitute.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:21 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I've seen some gofundme stuff for a headstone or whatever, but it's always when someone younger dies/low income families.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:44 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
We have an entitlement society now.

There is now a trend for weddings where couples create websites and tell you what fund you can contribute to, their honeymoon fund, their we want to buy a house fund.

I just saw one from a couple who have lived together for 5 years and make combined over six figures. I think it's tacky to beg for money unless you're in dire straits.

I don't mind if someone is killed in a hit and run the family is traumatized and not expecting the death.

But as you said you see this from people with good jobs, who have successful lives.

You see this a lot with police officers, when in fact the widow/widower get's the salary and than the pension unless they remarry. Sorry, they don't need the money.

Than look at cremation. While it will still cost about $1,500 it's much less than a burial.
Yes! I am prideful, way to prideful that unless I had 0 dollars, maxed out every credit card and then took out a loan but STILL needed money, that is the only way I would do a gofund me.

I know one free loader who set up a gofund me so STRANGERS could pay for her kids recital costume. Because putting your kids in OPTIONAL after-school activities where you know there will be extra expenses and then expecting fb "friends" to pay the way for something that is your responsibility is normal. She literally trolls every yard sale group and is the first on ANYTHING for free..

Yes, some may be in dire need and others just want things, for free..

Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
If the family is in terrible extremis, I think passing the hat discreetly is a better way to go rather than broadcasting that fact to the world in an obituary.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
I have 2 acquaintances who lost their husbands and had no money at all to bury them. Both were given options of letting the medical college nearby use the bodies for a year. At the end of a year, the body was cremated and given back to the family. One of the fellas was taken to a body farm where it was used for forensic training purposes. (ICK, right?) I personally can't imagine doing that with any of my loved ones, but there are options in place for those who are destitute.
Why no insurance? I bet they both had cable TV and smart phones. I find many today who claim "poor mouth", don't prioritize their money.

I know a couple of people like this. Not bad people, but whine when their car insurance is due yet they have Showtime and HBO instead of basic cable, and just have to have that $5 Starbucks in the morning. If they cutback just on the Starbucks to once a week, well there is the car insurance money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Yes! I am prideful, way to prideful that unless I had 0 dollars, maxed out every credit card and then took out a loan but STILL needed money, that is the only way I would do a gofund me.

I know one free loader who set up a gofund me so STRANGERS could pay for her kids recital costume. Because putting your kids in OPTIONAL after-school activities where you know there will be extra expenses and then expecting fb "friends" to pay the way for something that is your responsibility is normal. She literally trolls every yard sale group and is the first on ANYTHING for free..

Yes, some may be in dire need and others just want things, for free..
Exactly, we have an entitlement society today. There are cases when say a child is hit by a car that is understandable, but it has gotten out of hand.

People can put money aside, they used to be called "Rainy Day Funds", where you were responsible for your issue with money you saved. Again people need to cut back on things they don't need and save some money, not expect others to bail you out.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
People should prepay for burials every time they have a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships