Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

I don't want to help you pay for your inevitable tragedies, either; that's what emergency funds and life insurance policies are for. Personal responsibility, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I read the obituaries in my home town newspaper everyday. Lately, maybe the last year or so I have been seeing people being told to go to gofundme. People that seem to have had successful lives, good jobs, are now doing what many would consider begging. Asking to pay for the funeral, educate their children, pay bills. Am I the only one having a problem with this? I have donated to fundraisers, bought tickets to fundraisers, and donated prizes to fundraisers but this seems so much different to me. Gives me a weird feeling especially when I know the family.

Any thoughts? Is this just a changing of the times?
I no longer donate except to causes where they help others out of poverty and feed families/children.

I have paid for my own funeral (Cremation, cardboard casket) and my sister can decide to keep the ashes or toss them in the gutter.

All this for $780 (Plus tax) going to GoFundme just says "We're too cheap to pay for it ourselves"

Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM

"I no longer donate except to causes where they help others out of poverty and feed families/children."

You're already paying for this, unless you don't pay taxes.

All anyone has to do is ask; the government will give... And give and give...

Most people with their hands out are double-dipping anyway (already receiving government freebies, but begging for more in their ample free time).

I'm an advocate of Workfare, myself, but that's another thread for another day!

Old 04-05-2016, 11:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I no longer donate except to causes where they help others out of poverty and feed families/children."

You're already paying for this, unless you don't pay taxes.

All anyone has to do is ask; the government will give... And give and give...

Most people with their hands out are double-dipping anyway (already receiving government freebies, but begging for more in their ample free time).

I'm an advocate of Workfare, myself, but that's another thread for another day!
Excellent!!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
There was this one time that a relative went around asking for donations from family members at a family gathering to pay for her daughters prom dress. I avoided her completely. What an a$$.

Not long ago one of my husband relatives died and someone set something like this up on facebook just a couple thousand dollars for simple cremation. Well that goal was reached in about 10 minutes so they raised the goal amount, and then did it again. The money just came in too easily so they had to keep asking for more. What I really find in bad taste is that the cremation was only a couple grand or so. Can't the family just find this among themselves, especially because it was someone with 3 children and numerous grand children? Why go outside the family?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
MOST of ones I have seen (from my community at least) are all just regular people in a really crappy situations, like a kid with cancer, or really poor people who had a sudden death/illness/something tragic.

I did see one gofundme to help pay for an attorney to defend a girl who threw her baby in a trash can on her college campus. Nobody was donating to that one.. It just pissed a lot of people off.

I think it could be a good thing, but so many people try to abuse it.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM

The assumption is that no one has any other resources -- either personal (like savings or family support) or bureaucratic (if you're truly "poor," the government will pay for everything you need and most of what you want). And does everyone really have all this disposable income all of a sudden to hand out to everyone else dozens of times every day? I thought everyone was struggling economically themselves these days. It's making the redistribution of wealth not only voluntary, but also socially acceptable and something people "expect."

Old 04-05-2016, 12:28 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
You do realize GoFundMe keeps 8% of the money raised.......it is a great business!

No products, no inventory, no delivery just people sending you money and you keep 8% for your efforts!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The assumption is that no one has any other resources -- either personal (like savings or family support) or bureaucratic (if you're truly "poor," the government will pay for everything you need and most of what you want). And does everyone really have all this disposable income all of a sudden to hand out to everyone else dozens of times every day? I thought everyone was struggling economically themselves these days. It's making the redistribution of wealth not only voluntary, but also socially acceptable and something people "expect."
This discussion has gotten far afield, but I'm not sure what universe you live in.

The government does not pay for everything a person needs or most of what he/she wants. A serious accident or illness can land someone in the hospital, causing them to miss work or lose their job. At that point the big ol' government doesn't pop in and say "Let me make that rent or mortgage payment for you for a couple of months." Yes, the government does sometimes provide housing for people, but that generally involves voluminous applications and years on a waiting list. In the meantime, a family can lose their home and all their possessions and find themselves on the street in fairly short order.

Who is asking for people to hand over their income dozens of times a day? This thread started with a question about people asking for help with funeral expenses, presumably a one-time request. And if you don't have any disposable income, don't worry about it. No one is making you donate.

Surely you want any redistribution of wealth to be voluntary in the same way it's always been? People have always been free to donate to whatever cause they wish, or to share their wealth with family, friends or strangers. Or not to share it with anyone. All such decisions have always been socially acceptable.

It seems strange that the same people who often say the government shouldn't help people are now saying that private parties shouldn't help anyone either. I guess if bad luck strikes you're just SOL.

As far as helping with a wedding, vacation, or prom for a healthy person, I'd never do that. But no one is forcing me to do that, so all is well.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 PM

When (not if) "bad luck" strikes -- you know, inevitable things like DEATH -- hopefully you've prepared for this; responsible adults do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships