Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

Make your own arrangements in the future, and it won't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:30 AM

26 posts, read 15,898 times
I want to know the why? Why would they do that? I need to understand. To be so deceitful, how can we move forward?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:32 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Maybe they were trying to get you to pick up the phone and make your own arrangements.

Seriously, the parents did not keep anyone apart for 17 years.
The siblings themselves failed to communicate with each other for 17 years.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 926MPV View Post
I want to know the why? Why would they do that? I need to understand. To be so deceitful, how can we move forward?
We don't know them. Only they know the answer.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 AM

26 posts, read 15,898 times
I disagree. I am not going to put everything on the Internet, but that assumption is not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe they were trying to get you to pick up the phone and make your own arrangements.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
The parents purposely kept us apart. We would ask to get together with each other and they would never tell the other about the invites.
Don't you have your sister's number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

^^^this. OP, why didn't you just CALL, TEXT, or EMAIL your own sibling?

Stop making your parents the "middle man". DIRECTLY communicate with your very own sibling. Problem solved.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
The parents purposely kept us apart. We would ask to get together with each other and they would never tell the other about the invites.
Quote:
Frankly, if you had a phone and your sister had a phone why should the invitations come through your parents? Even if there were extenuating circumstances like your sister is deaf and did not use the phone you could have communicated with letters or on the computer.

Maybe your parents were, or are, self-centered jerks who felt that if they did not make the plans then the plans were not important?

Maybe there was a big family secret that they did not want find out about?

Maybe they were worried that you would "compare notes" on something and find out that they lied to both of you? (such as they gave you a new car when you went to college but lied and told your sister that they could not afford a car for her or you, or they are giving her money and not you)

Maybe they felt that you were both adults that you should make your own arrangements?

They are your parents so YOU need to ask them why they did not tell you about the invitations.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-07-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I don't understand why you didn't just communicate directly with your sibling. That's the strange part...

Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM

774 posts, read 744,349 times
OP - The only way you might ever find out is by getting everyone together to see how it plays out. I would invite the sister and her family and THEN in-laws to your house. "Mom/Dad, Sis and the crew are coming over on Saturday for a cook out. Do you want to come?" Go from there. I personally would like to know the response to the invite, if the in laws attempt to make sure it doesn't happen some way, if they show up when they can't stop it and how the event goes. Seriously.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM

509 posts, read 554,249 times
Quote:
We moved within a couple of hours to my inlaws last fall. Previously we were 8 hours away, and rarely saw them. A few weeks ago my FIL told my DH that they weren't going to have him and his sister together in their house. We were baffled. They claimed having us together was stressful. We decided to wait it out to see how their conversation went down with his sister. She emailed him yesterday just as confused as us. They have never had an issue with us, nor us with them. DH emailed her saying the same. She emailed again today and had come to the realization they have been keeping us apart for 17 years!
What? Why? Explain this please??!!

I'm confused by your math here. You just moved last fall. Where does 17 years come from?

I'm also curious how close(proximity) you are to your SIL? Looks to be a lot of e mails and no talk. Perhaps she does have an issue with you and your husband. Maybe she thinks you're too dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships