Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 AM

269 posts, read 371,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
but when I talk to him about my man problems, he'll sincerely listen and give me advice but then say something along the lines of "the guy for you is in front of you."
Sorry but you are stringing him along if you let comments like this go. Why didn't you say "do you mean you? That is never ever going to happen." Don't even say 'sorry'. Because you're not sorry - it's just the way it is, and he needs to accept that and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:01 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
My best friend & I met when I was 10 & he was 12. We would lose contact, at times, throughout the years but, because his house had become my 3nd home, his Mom made sure we knew where each other was.

He professed his love for me many times through the years. I told him he would always be my best friend and I loved him, but it would be as a brother/sister love.

He accepted that& we remained friends through the years. He passed about 10 years ago and I was still by his side. So, yes, a man and a woman can be friends for a lifetime.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:04 AM

340 posts, read 1,046,260 times
Sounds like the OP needs to get some new friends.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
If you care for him, disappear without a trace and let him go on.
No. You don't "ghost" someone. Instead, do what bus man says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OP, your best bet is to be brutally honest and tell your friend that you don't have feelings for him, and never will, and you think it best to not string him along any more.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
I don't know why people make things so much more dramatic than they need to be.

You've moved, so the dynamics of the relationship ARE going to change. It's inevitable. You're going to find more and more to do in your new place, you'll be meeting new people, and contact with this person will eventually fade to birthdays, holidays and the occasional "hey, how are you, I haven't talked to you in so long!" phone call.

It doesn't need a big "discussion" -- I mean, you MOVED, that's a pretty big sign right there that you aren't invested in this relationship in a romantic way. Yes, he'll probably visit -- once. It will probably be a bit awkward (or maybe not, who knows) and then you and he will find ways to live without each other on a constant basis. And the relationship will eventually fade. It doesn't need a die with a big "BANG!" and lots of relationship angst. Again, I don't know why people seem to be so vested in "closure" and "clean breaks", etc. It's not that kind of relationship. Let it evolve quietly while you move on with your life. There aren't that many good friends in the world -- why kick one to the curb, regardless of his own motivations? You "think" he's romantically pining for you -- but then again, maybe he's not. Either way, it's his problem. When he gets sick of it or falls for someone else, he'll back off -- and you'll wake up one morning and realize you haven't heard from Him in two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships