Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times

Advertisements

My class had their 10 year reunion 5 years ago. It was plastered all over Facebook, but the organizers failed to get the word out. The only people who showed up were their entire circle of friends, which are those who peaked during high school. The venue changed twice during the week leading up to the reunion, the organizers got called out for making it seem like it was only for a certain set of friends/cliques, a bunch of drama happened as a result, the organizers went on a ban spree because they got called out for being lazy and having no consideration of the rest of our class, and a bunch of name calling went around. Overall, I think a total of 25 people showed up. It was a huge financial bust. My graduating class has over 1,000 people. Out of those, only 667 of us actually got to 'walk' on graduation day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is this what the human race is de-evolving into? "Socializing" electronically? Preferring computer contact to face-to-face contact?

How pathetic. How sad.
Don't know if it is a preference but rather a good option? I can socialize with the 2 or 3 people I could actually stand out of my entire graduating class out of 400, and since a couple live up here, meet with them on my own terms and not have to waste good money traveling to a stupid reunion and saving some anxiety.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Don't know if it is a preference but rather a good option? I can socialize with the 2 or 3 people I could actually stand out of my entire graduating class out of 400, and since a couple live up here, meet with them on my own terms and not have to waste good money traveling to a stupid reunion and saving some anxiety.
You wanna opt out of the reunion fine. A lot of people here have said that not going to the reunion is perfectly fine. If you wanna use social media or electronic media fine. I've got sorta a screw it attitude anymore, what ever works for people.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:16 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
I've never gone to a high school reunion, I was never part of the in-crowd and many of them did not have the same aspirations I did. On the other hand, I've kept in close contact with a number of people I was in college with. One recently moved from Alaska to the D.C. area and we go out once in a while. Others I see when I visit Chicago.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
My graduating class has over 1,000 people. Out of those, only 667 of us actually got to 'walk' on graduation day.
Did the rest of the graduating class run since they did not walk?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:15 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is this what the human race is de-evolving into? "Socializing" electronically? Preferring computer contact to face-to-face contact?

How pathetic. How sad.
Yep!! This is another topic but yes, often what passes for friendship nowadays is liking or commenting on someone's FB post, no meaningful conversation needed just comment on the post and you've made contact. No need to get too emotionally invested in anyone that way.

Although I will say this for FB, I use it to talk to my friend who lives in another country...I can't call or text her unless I want to pay $$$$$$$$ and we talk all the time there. FB and email are good ways to stay in touch with people you can't stay in touch with in more traditional ways due to distance.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post
Although I will say this for FB, I use it to talk to my friend who lives in another country...I can't call or text her unless I want to pay $$$$$$$$ and we talk all the time there. FB and email are good ways to stay in touch with people you can't stay in touch with in more traditional ways due to distance.
I'm not saying Facebook is a bad thing; I enjoy it, and it's allowed me to be in touch with people on a daily basis instead of on a semi-annual basis. I've reconnected with many old friends through Facebook - and yes, especially with friends overseas.

But Facebook is no substitute for face-to-face conversation and the connection that can come only from being in the same room. It's certainly no venue for a proper reunion, whether it be high school classmates or family or former co-workers.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I'm not on Facebook and neither are a lot of others in our class. I think it did damage when the committee decided to "go cool" and rely on it exclusively to get the word out. And for that reason alone I am likely done with reunions.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And I am LOVING it!

A few months ago our HS made a Facebook page to mark 10 years and to do reunion planning. We had people come in and make posts like what they were doing with their careers, kids, marriages, etc. I've struck out on all three and haven't really been (What America considers) successful since I'm still in my sucky entry-level job I got 4 years ago, hopelessly single, and childfree (I actually consider that successful. )

I didn't have an ounce of intention of going to this reunion anyway just so I can feel even worse about how my life has turned out. Now it looks like I won't even have that problem to deal with since the event is probably gonna be canceled. I guess I can thank Facebook for making that reunion BS unnecessary.

Yeah yeah I know CD. My life may still be but at least I don't have to waste a night hearing how much it sucks compared to others.
You didn't have to go in the first place. You know that right?

Old 04-16-2016, 07:45 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
In reading a part of this thread, I find it amazing how much some posters ALLOW their high school years to affect them. Who cares? It is barely worth a thought! High school was a bunch of silly kids trying to act cool or fit in. I look back at those versions of us (Now) adults, and chuckle.

I went to the 20 year reunion just before facebook hit the stage, it was ok...but I doubt I'll be interested in any future reunions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships