Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:55 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Have you had any "adult kindergarten" experiences? I think it would be neat if they had adult kindergartens where the teachers singled us out and helped us work on our deficiencies with the help of our peers.
Try hiring unskilled employees in low paying jobs. You may think you are teaching kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I think it's awesome! Would prefer a dif setup than paying 1k for it though

My "adult friend" used to get together and "color" or draw all the time. We had fine "social skills" we just liked to be crafty.

Ironically, neither of us do this anymore *because* she had a kid. She already stepped back from our friendship because of the kid and he is almost 8 with severe autism and MR. He will probably never even comprehend what crayons are.
That's very sad. I hear sufferers of traditional autism sometimes have a very hard time in life. It makes me thankful for what I do have.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Try hiring unskilled employees in low paying jobs. You may think you are teaching kindergarten.
No thanks! I'm already a teacher. Kids, and sometimes "adults" are amusing, but, for the most part, they take themselves too seriously. Life is funny, and mistakes should be savored and valued like successes, but often people don't see it that way. Rather than treasured as valuable learning experiences, mistakes are cast aside and covered up. Unfortunately, it makes the teaching process that much more difficult. A cultural norm where mistakes are OK, even acceptable, would be quite nice. It would involve removing the stigma from the children who can't read well or who aren't good at sports. It would encourage ask questions and open sharing. Our culture almost condemns that now, the idea of "fake it till you make it." That's another great argument for an "adult kindergarten."

Last edited by krmb; 04-13-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM

251 posts, read 203,921 times
I think describing diversity training "adult kindergarten" suggests an attitude, and not a good one. I'm not sure I understand how it's possible to be so unaware of what racism is.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
I think describing diversity training "adult kindergarten" suggests an attitude, and not a good one. I'm not sure I understand how it's possible to be so unaware of what racism is.
I've described a variety of experiences as "adult kindergarten." The only thing they have in common is that they make a particularly powerful effort to take the participant back to the sometimes painful and uncomfortable lived experiences of childhood. This particular diversity training teacher could have driven the point home without treating us like we were kids. We were addressed in child-like terms, had our assignments organized for us, were punished with scoldings (like kids), and were subjected to somewhat childish games. It was all to provide us with a better awareness, and I think most of us left the exercises with a good opinion of the teacher after we understood that she wasn't really being prejudiced against us or "mean" to us, but it was eye-opening on a number of levels. I actually left wishing my teachers would have provided more of those "every day life from a child's perspective" experiences for us.

Last edited by krmb; 04-13-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
I've described a variety of experiences as "adult kindergarten." The only thing they have in common is that they make a particularly powerful effort to take the participant back to the sometimes painful and uncomfortable lived experiences of childhood. This particular diversity training teacher could have driven the point home without treating us like we were kids. We were addressed in child-like terms, had our assignments organized for us, were punished with scoldings (like kids), and were subjected to somewhat childish games. It was all to provide us with a better awareness, and I think most of us left the exercises with a good opinion of the teacher after we understood that she wasn't really being prejudiced against us or "mean" to us, but it was eye-opening on a number of levels. I actually left wishing my teachers would have provided more of those "every day life from a child's perspective" experiences for us.
Wow, not all of us had "painful" and "uncomfortable" experiences in childhood and school. Nor did we associate being "punished with scoldings" with learning new things.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:17 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Yes, that exists, too, but it's quite different than what is being discussed here.
A discussion about mine would be much more entertaining.

For example, do you think people who enjoy that sort of thing think about it when interacting with people? Like would an accountant consulting with an attractive client be thinking “oh man, I’d love to be powdered by her”? Or if one is in a relationship, how do they broach such a topic? Would they begin by asking if their girlfriend has ever had kids?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
A discussion about mine would be much more entertaining.

For example, do you think people who enjoy that sort of thing think about it when interacting with people? Like would an accountant consulting with an attractive client be thinking “oh man, I’d love to be powdered by her”? Or if one is in a relationship, how do they broach such a topic? Would they begin by asking if their girlfriend has ever had kids?
Honestly, I think most of them lead somewhat closeted lives and only come out and meet other like-minded people through internet forums dedicated to that kind of stuff, but, again, that's an entirely different topic. I'm talking about role playing of a different kind for purposes of therapy and empowerment.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Meh, another silly "me" fad. "I'll get in touch with and heal my inner child and blah blah and then I'll be amazing and everyone will love me." That won't happen, people will be out a lot of money and the fad will die, to be replaced with another, possibly even sillier one. Lather, rinse, repeat.

People, get it together. We're all grownups. Here we are. Deal.
I don't wanna.

~~~

I don't know, the thought of participating in these kinds of things always makes me sort of cringe. Like the cuddling parties or whatever they're called.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:16 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

I don't know, the thought of participating in these kinds of things always makes me sort of cringe. Like the cuddling parties or whatever they're called.
Exactly, LOL.

"It's all right, you're among friends here, let it all out."

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships