Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Then do you apologize afterward for treating a customer like a thief? I hate being treated like a thief by clerks in every store. Had the detector go off once going out so the "greeter" came over to inspect my purchase. Took out every item in every bag and compared the receipt. Ok, over the top but everything matched. Head back out and "ding". So she stops me again. Didn't you just verify everything? Repeats the whole process with everything. Third time. Ding. So once more she stops me. On the fourth ding I finally get a manager to come over who figures out which tag didn't deactivate. Yep, waste 20 minutes of my time treating me like a thief because their stupid machine didn't work.
I'm sorry you're new at shopping.

Your story doesn't even make sense.

They didn't detain you as a thief. They simply couldn't find the tag that wasn't deactivated properly and YOU KNOW THAT IS THE TRUTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Another reason I won't use the "self-checkout". Let them ring it up and any issues are "on them".

Besides, if I wanted to be a cashier, I'd get a job there!
Cool, spite yourself and wait in line.

The self service checkouts are quick. AND I get it bagged the way I WANT.

That doesn't make sense anyway.

The ISSUE WAS the HUSBAND walked out without the merchandise but with the receipt so the WIFE had to leave the store with merchandise with no receipt.

HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SELF SERVICE, for chrissakes.

The SAME THING would have happened in a line with a cashier if someone tried to just pick up merchandise and walk out like in SAMS when they HAVE cashiers.

Did you even READ the story?

Old 04-17-2016, 12:16 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I'm a cashier I have my particular perspective, so I'm biased. Me personally, you lost me at separate tickets and with him putting his stuff with yours, without the receipt, when you had asked for separate checks. That extra procedure and "cross contamination" of paid for items and unpaid items adds complexity to the situation. You do that and you invite confusion. If you want to track who bought what, you can always divide it up later with a calculator.

In cashering, with me anyway, I like for things to keep moving and to be simple. Any extra step that adds complexity and slows things down, I don't care for. There are things, none of which you did, such as "check the price on this" a dozen times, then arguing that it's 5 cents off, then changing your mind 89 times about what you want, wanting to pay in exact change because getting a few dimes and pennies back is apparently akin to being waterboarded. Buying things with coupons AND on sale AND with a "digital" coupon and then when not everything is triple discounted thinking I'm supposed to pour over those details like a bank teller (it's not the customer's or cashier's fault, but they don't make those sorts of details easy to see at all), and there's a dozen people behind you just wanting to get their bread and head on home.

And yes, mixing your unpaid stuff and his paid stuff together in the same space and thinking the cashier is supposed to keep track of all of that while going at a fast pace and doing other things at the same time ("excuse me, where's your lotion?") is just asking for trouble.

You've got to keep things simple. You want a separate check, have him get it in line at a separate time so his stuff and your stuff isn't all mixed up together. Cashiers don't have time to be bank tellers.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-17-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 12:49 PM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
All types of people steal all kinds of random stuff so I don't think you were unfairly singled out. At the Wal-Mart I go to they have an employee that stands at the door and checks everyone's receipt and cart. They are especially vigilant about checking for things that are not bagged and large items.

I usually buy diapers from there and they always check my receipt to make sure that I paid. I'm just your average looking mom so I doubt I fit the profile of a shoplifter but they check everyone so I don't take it personally.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:53 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
WHO walks out of a store with ANYTHING not having the receipt?
It happens quite a bit, actually.

I run a register, and quite often a customer will tell me
they don't need the receipt and ask me to just throw it
away. While I usually honor the request (while silently
disagreeing; you never know when you might need to
refer back to it), on occasion I will suggest they take it if
the item they've purchased isn't bagged, explaining that
this way if they're stopped by another store employee,
they can prove that the item was, indeed, purchased.

But the whole "I don't need the receipt" idea is, apparently,
a "thing", though I personally don't really understand it.

-

Old 04-17-2016, 02:57 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
People steal rolls of toilet paper from our office bathroom. Seriously, who is so hard up they have to hide a roll of TP in their purse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Actually, I have heard that it is so common in some offices that they have to keep the extra rolls of TP locked up in a closet.
I have friends who own a wine shop that does tastings. Every week they would lose entire rolls of toilet paper from their courtesy restrooms.

Sorry, RESTROOM. They only disappeared from the ladies room.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM

684 posts, read 514,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
People steal rolls of toilet paper from our office bathroom. Seriously, who is so hard up they have to hide a roll of TP in their purse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Actually, I have heard that it is so common in some offices that they have to keep the extra rolls of TP locked up in a closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I have friends who own a wine shop that does tastings. Every week they would lose entire rolls of toilet paper from their courtesy restrooms.

Sorry, RESTROOM. They only disappeared from the ladies room.

Yea we had that happen too and to solve it we installed those large commercial rolls of toilet paper and the dispensers that lock. We kept the refills in another location other than the restroom. Makes it harder for a lady to fit one of those big 12" + rolls in her purse and sure enough the theft pretty much stopped.

As for the OPS story, I just don't know why she even posted it other than to vent because she is an adult and should respect the unwritten rules of businesses, unfortunately many people don't and thats why we have security, receipt checkers at the doors, and watchful managers. The things some people do and the lengths they go to just to steal the smallest items doesn't surprise anyone who works in retail. Its often the people you never would think about like the little old lady, or the soccer mom who are the biggest petty thieves.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yeah, we now keep TP and hand soap and paper towel rolls out of the bathroom.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
She was just doing her job. Part of that job is to attempt to prevent thefts when she suspects them. And yes, surely theft and attempted theft happens all the time.

She was doing exactly what she was supposed to do.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
This happened earlier today at a self check out kiosk at a grocery store. My husband and I were at the grocery store together and he had to buy some things for his restaurant. He wanted to pay for the items separately so he could keep track of the receipts. I accidentally scanned it with our stuff and he told me to cancel it, so I did. It required the cashier or whatever they are called to come void it. My husband did specifically say that we will pay for it separately. One of the kiosks became open so he went over and paid for it (he bought a case of soda, yeah dont ask me why he insisted on paying for it separately). Afterwards he put the pack of soda in my cart while I was still scanning our stuff. He took our kids back out to the car. At the end when I was done and putting my bags into the cart I heard someone call "mam, excuse me" she could've called anyone so I just minded my own business until she came over. She told me "I didnt see you scan the pack of soda, you told me to take it out, remember? I didnt see it on your receipt" and then I replied "Yes, I do remember but my husband went to a different machine and paid for it and afterward put it into my cart. He's in the car right now." She went back to her station, and I swear she said "ok" with a smirk. I asked her if she wanted me to get my husband and she said "no, its fine." I had a few stares from other nosy customers though. Makes me not want to go back to that store despite me not doing anything wrong. Seriously who would steal a pack of soda? If she was so attentive and watched my every move, maybe she should've monitored my husband's machine and realized he paid for it. How would you have reacted?
I think I'd have told hubby to carry the soda out himself. Or left the receipt in the bag.

I once scanned an item, thought both had scanned. Didn't know I screwed up till much later (I'm talking 4 days) so wrote it off. But have chatted with checkers and they have had where people get everything bagged and then slide right out the door. That's probably why some have stopped the practise as they were getting hammered by thefts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships