Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 969 times

Advertisements

This might sound petty. But I really need advice. I'm trying to raise my daugter to be respectful and have manners. One of which is celebrating other people, as in birthdays. My niece is a different story. The kid is sweet but she is constantly in the center of attention. She helps blow out candles for everyone and is in all of the birthday pictures when it is not her party. During parties they already want my daughter to "help" but it annoys me so bad. I want her to be able to celebrate other people and not feel like she has to be the center of attention all the time. How can I tell my sister in law this with out hurting/offending her and basically saying her daughter is a brat? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Your sister-in-law gets to raise her daughter as she decides. You get to raise your daughter as you decide. You don't need to tell your sister-in-law anything.

Before the next birthday talk to your daughter ahead of time and remind her of what you consider appropriate behavior. When it's time to blow out candles call your daughter over. There is a way to do this without making it into a big scene--e.g. just say she wants to watch, not to help.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptoolatemommy View Post
This might sound petty. But I really need advice. I'm trying to raise my daugter to be respectful and have manners. One of which is celebrating other people, as in birthdays. My niece is a different story. The kid is sweet but she is constantly in the center of attention. She helps blow out candles for everyone and is in all of the birthday pictures when it is not her party. During parties they already want my daughter to "help" but it annoys me so bad. I want her to be able to celebrate other people and not feel like she has to be the center of attention all the time. How can I tell my sister in law this with out hurting/offending her and basically saying her daughter is a brat? Thanks!
Part of this may depend on age. if your niece is three years old it may be impossible for her to "step back" and let the birthday girl shine. Now if your niece is nine years old she should know that the spotlight belongs on the birthday girl/boy.

Also, think of "my house, my rules" and "your house, your rules". Obviously, at your brother's house they encourage everyone to blow out the candles. Some families do it that way (especially for very young children) and others do not.

Perhaps, when it is your daughter's birthday (and your birthday & your husband's birthday) announce to the crowd. "Remember, at our house, we let the person having the birthday blow out the candles on their cake". That does not have to awkward, you are just stating a fact.

How old is your daughter? Has she started to attend birthday parties of classmates and friends? When you daughter starts to do that you will find that there are many different "family traditions" that she will need to adapt to at family birthday parties.

I am more concerned about your comment about your sister-in-law's daughter being a brat. Isn't your niece your brother's child, too! Why don't you talk to him?

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-20-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:17 AM

237 posts, read 224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Your sister-in-law gets to raise her daughter as she decides. You get to raise your daughter as you decide. You don't need to tell your sister-in-law anything.

Before the next birthday talk to your daughter ahead of time and remind her of what you consider appropriate behavior. When it's time to blow out candles call your daughter over. There is a way to do this without making it into a big scene--e.g. just say she wants to watch, not to help.
This.
Some things are better left unsaid, especially when it comes to telling another woman how to raise her children.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Say nothing to your sister in law, you are not mother to her daughter. Your daughter needs to learn from your example. She also needs to learn that there will be people in her life that think the world revolves around them and how to deal with it. You can't teach her by asking others to change their way just for your daughter

Old 04-20-2016, 01:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptoolatemommy View Post
My sister and her son was the same way. The 5th birthday, I've already instructed my daughter that if she wants "help", fine; if not, she's free to say no (and that she shouldn't be made to feel guilty, etc). My nephew "asked" (mind you, it wasn't really asking, but no one could convince my sister otherwise) just before she was about to blow. He got a polite no... Then a huge tantrum ensues. I told my sister to remove her son and leave if she must; she was already feeling self-conscious from the negative attention and looks from everyone.

I would not indulge the request. I would not allow them to put my daughter on the spot and make her feel obligated. There is nothing wrong with saying no, but there is everything wrong with trying to make a person feel guilty for saying no. Take a picture of your daughter just before blowing the candles (and tell niece to back off and to stand aside).

Old 04-20-2016, 02:15 PM

294 posts, read 337,354 times
You don't have to say anything. You also don't have to bring or raise your child around people you think are not beneficial to how YOU want to raise your child, regardless if they are family or not.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:57 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

^^^^ Best answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships