Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Are you serious? Absolutely not! This has disaster written all over it. A good way to be stuffed in a trunk and become an episode of Law & Order!
You guys are so dramatic. I am not suggesting her to meet him at a motel room. I am suggesting her to meet him at a public coffee shop or restaurant with tons of people around.

Furthermore, everyone's husband was at one point a stranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 06:52 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
OP. You need to chill out a bit. The guy has done nothing illegal. The police will do nothing because he is not breaking any laws.

If you are so worried, take some self-defense classes (every woman should do that anyway) and get a handgun and take some classes in how to use that.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:24 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
You guys are so dramatic. I am not suggesting her to meet him at a motel room. I am suggesting her to meet him at a public coffee shop or restaurant with tons of people around.

Someone like him could interpret that as a date... be it male or female

Old 04-23-2016, 07:31 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:

Why are you suggesting this? The OP has made it clear that she finds this person's actions to be uncomfortable. She's not interested in becoming more comfortable with him.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Do you think he gets some info about you from checking up on you on social media?
I don't know how he would have found me, as I don't have my name on my door buzzer or mailbox, and I don't geotag any of my photos on Instagram or anything. Also my mailbox is one of those that the postman only has the key to, so he wouldn't have been able to read my name on any mail. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know my full name or any of my social media.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:14 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
Quote:

Why would you suggest this? This only further invites him to continue what he's doing because he'd take it as "showing interest", which I obviously have none.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

That's a very bad idea. If she does that, it will be harder for her to claim later on, if it becomes necessary, that he was stalking her and that the attention was unwanted. He could claim she was into him, and egged him on.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-23-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 09:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Trust your instincts and remember "better safe than sorry"
I would be VERY concerned about the stuff he is doing...

The fist thing I would do would be to get some help doing legal
background checks on him..It's cheap & legal and can help you know
if he has had brushes with the law or worse.

Ask at the police station..It does start a paper trail & documentation
in case you need more help from them..They may let you know
if he has a record (not sure if they can )

I am not sure I would talk to the parents ...He is an adult..
He may not be mentally stable..They may not be normal..
It could make things worse..
This isn't a 12 year old that is leaving his bike on your lawn...
You have to consider all the possibilities before acting on this...

To the person saying she should meet with him...
HELL NO....horrible advice...

If you can search online for their last address I would talk to some previous
neighbors..Ask if you should be concerned...You could learn some
very valuable information...

Stay safe ...

Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
OP, don't listen to those who say to brush it off as if it's nothing. Mental issues or not, always. follow. your. gut. instincts.

We still have them, people, and we need to listen to them. If your gut is telling you something, listen to it. That instinct also happened to your neighbors, so it's NOT just all in your head.

As others suggested, the parents need to be spoken to. Even THEN, a mental issue does not always mean "oh, okay, no worries then". A talk with the parents could give you some insight, but it doesn't resolve the issue of, "this dude knows way more about me than I want him to know".

Agree on talking to the other neighbors.
Agree on talking to the parents.
Agree on not acting like nothing is happening.

Close your blinds at night. Don't be predictable. Carry protection on you at all times...even when walking your dog.

None of this means that the guy has any intention of doing anything, but to dismiss a gut feeling is a stupid thing to do. And for God's sake, do not listen to the advice of "taking him out for coffee". Unreal.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:43 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Have you looked his name up? Google can yield surprising results. Social media. Crime reports from the city he came from.

Yes, gather your village.

If you have blinds and live on an upper floor remember to face slats so you are not seen from the lower level/street.

Keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships