Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:30 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times

Advertisements

Are you under a lease or contract because then you couldnt be able to up and move and she wouldnt be able to treat you in this way. ( well she could but there are ways to handle it better)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM

127 posts, read 146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Its her house.... I would move out and be done with it.

This is why its best to get your own place.
For those saying it's her house, yes I get that but if she has a roommate I at least need to be treated with the same amount of respect that I show her until the month's rent is up. Another thing to note is that we're in CA and using water as long as that, it's not right taking that long of a shower.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Are you under a lease or contract because then you couldnt be able to up and move and she wouldnt be able to treat you in this way. ( well she could but there are ways to handle it better)
No lease agreement, thank God. I'm just not sure one week notice would be polite? I mean, I want to get out of here as soon as possible and I intend to do everything within in my power to do so, but I need help moving for the big stuff at least. Plus the permission from my parents to stay at their place in between moving. I can grab a few pieces of furniture and sleep on the futon at my parent's place in the spare bedroom until I can arrange for the bed and dresser to be moved. Can't do those myself as I have a shoulder injury, but I can get the smaller ones just fine.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
99% of the time the answer to this question is = Yes

Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDriver123 View Post
No lease agreement, thank God. I'm just not sure one week notice would be polite? I mean, I want to get out of here as soon as possible and I intend to do everything within in my power to do so, but I need help moving for the big stuff at least. Plus the permission from my parents to stay at their place in between moving. I can grab a few pieces of furniture and sleep on the futon at my parent's place in the spare bedroom until I can arrange for the bed and dresser to be moved. Can't do those myself as I have a shoulder injury, but I can get the smaller ones just fine.
I would not leave anything behind after giving notice.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
You're not crazy - she doesn't sound like a particularly good roommate, and I question the decision-making abilities of anyone who leaves their back door open all night. On the other hand, it is her house, so while you are afforded some rights and respect, ultimately as the homeowner (and particularly as it seems there's no written lease in effect), her wishes trump yours.

As soon as you tell her you're leaving, she's probably going to try to get you out ASAP. I'd familiarize yourself with tenant rights in California - even if there's no written lease in effect, I believe you'd still be considered a tenant as you've been there for longer than 30 days. As such, there should be laws that you'll both have to abide by.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:58 AM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
Quote:
I moved here in December, so roughly five months and her hostility began when she discovered she had a brain tumor which was during the last one or two months. She had surgery (a successful one) but has still been irritable towards me.
There is a correlation between Brain tumors, ,injuries, surgeries and smell. It is likely she is having this symptomology. Phantosmia (smelling odours that aren't there) - NHS Choices
The 'smell' symptom - Brain Tumors Forum - Cancer Forums
Phantosmia: What causes olfactory hallucinations? - Mayo Clinic

Also, you should be aware, and so should your roommate that her irritability can be BECAUSE of her brain tumor or treatment for it; ie; steroids used to decrease swelling. Corticosteriods are often used for patients with brain tumors and surgery.

It may EXPLAIN the behavior, but it does not excuse it. But she may not even be aware of it or be able to help it.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
There is a correlation between Brain tumors, ,injuries, surgeries and smell. It is likely she is having this symptomology. Phantosmia (smelling odours that aren't there) - NHS Choices

Also, you should be aware, and so should your roommate that her irritability can be BECAUSE of her brain tumor or treatment for it; ie; steroids used to decrease swelling. Corticosteriods are often used for patients with brain tumors and surgery.

It may EXPLAIN the behavior, but it does not excuse it. But she may not even be aware of it or be able to help it.
Such a helpful, informative post! I retract my suggestion that the OP get snarky with her about her "smell" issue. Thank you for educating us today.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post

Thank you for mentioning this. I understand and have even looked this stuff up just to see if it could be related. There isn't any sort of a signed written agreement between us. Yes she is aware of it as I have talked to her about it before.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Thank you for mentioning this. I understand and have even looked this stuff up just to see if it could be related. There isn't any sort of a signed written agreement between us. Yes she is aware of it as I have talked to her about it before.
Well, she may not be able to do much about it. She's probably going through a tough time, and is stressed by her symptoms. It's too bad. You can't be expected to put up with this until it blows over, so the only solution is to move out. But at least, knowing this, you can be diplomatic in breaking the news to her. Good luck, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships