Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,830 times

Advertisements

I am so upset, this girl from my church who I thought was my friend had a ladies night get together and posted pictures on FB, and when I asked what it was for and if it was dress shopping she said "No. We were hanging out. And you dont need to be at every social thing I do, ok? Im sorry, but no." What the heck? She hasnt ever invited me to a single social thing shes done, ever. And then I said well sorry for asking I just felt excluded. She said theres no reason you should have felt excluded. But isnt that what you just did? And then to follow it up with an exclusive remark of I dont need to be at every social event you do. Wth?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:24 AM

953 posts, read 843,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashasha View Post
I am so upset, this girl from my church who I thought was my friend had a ladies night get together and posted pictures on FB, and when I asked what it was for and if it was dress shopping she said "No. We were hanging out. And you dont need to be at every social thing I do, ok? Im sorry, but no." What the heck? She hasnt ever invited me to a single social thing shes done, ever. And then I said well sorry for asking I just felt excluded. She said theres no reason you should have felt excluded. But isnt that what you just did? And then to follow it up with an exclusive remark of I dont need to be at every social event you do. Wth?
There has to be more to this story than meets the eye. Friction from prior conversations? No shared common interests from her perspective? Can you jog your memory and recall anything that could have contributed to this?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:38 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
She isn't the friend you thought she was. From what she said, it sounds like she was very annoyed that you even asked about the pictures and the sushi. Since she has not extended any invitations to you for socializing, it is probably fair to assume that you are more like acquaintances than friends. Sorry she was so rude to you, but you should probably forget this "friend".

Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
find new friends.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
She doesn't like you. She doesn't want to socialize with you. Leave her alone or you will continue to frustrate yourself, annoy her, and become someone that no one wants to be around.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I'm sorry dear one but I think the problem lies with you as well. There is always going to be someone in our lives that will not like you. Deserved or not.

Stop trying to beat a dead horse. Move on and find someone you can relate to. Why waste time and energy on someone you can count on to be mean to you? Life is too short.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashasha View Post
That's the kind of thing someone says to someone who has really been getting on one's nerves, being too clingy, having expectations of automatic inclusion. One says that to someone who is wearing one out and needs the precedent set that inclusion is not automatic.

Your reaction explains her action. She expected you to complain. If you hadn't, she'd have perhaps felt a little badly. Since you did, in her eyes, it proved her point: that ashasha thinks inclusion is her moral right, and will complain if she doesn't get it, and needs to be pushed back a distance. That usually happens when someone is clingy and drives someone nuts.

The fact that you don't understand this, and need it explained here, suggests that you have a hard time with social cues. I empathize; so do I. I have to work hard on that in life. Your life would improve if you did the same, I'm guessing.

And lastly, you're throwing around the term 'friend' too casually, just my opinion. The guy who flew from the Bahamas to be my best man, who one time had an accident on our futon and I just cleaned it up and never mentioned it again, who I'd want here to help my wife if I croaked? That's a friend. Some gal you know from church probably hasn't had time or opportunity to prove what a friend she is. She's just some gal you know from church who was polite to you, and evidently, whose courtesy you mistook for a desire for a close relationship. Live and learn: sometimes people are just being gracious and polite, and it just means they are not tactless or brutal. It doesn't mean they want to be best pal.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,759 times
Get offa Failbook, make some IRL friends and do stuff with them.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,533 times
What she said is true. You don't invite every friend you have to every party you throw. Asking why you weren't invited in most circumstances like this is rude.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,520 times
There is more to this story - there just has to be.

From her statement, it sounds like perhaps you've tried to get invited to her social events before? For me to say what she said, it would involve someone frequently trying to get invited to stuff I was planning and not taking any hints about the situation.

She is not your friend - she might have been friendly to you in the past, but that is not the same thing. She doesn't want to hang out with you. I'm sorry to be harsh, but it seems like she was being clear - her "you had no reason to feel excluded" comment means that you had no reason to feel excluded because you had no reason to feel that you should have been included in the first place.

There are plenty of people in the world who would probably like to be your friend, and she's not one of them - so go meet the other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships