Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times

Advertisements

After reading some of the above posts I'm really grateful for my 4 SIL, they aren't perfect but neither am I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I cant stand her so much I don't even consider her an "in-law"!! Can slice the tension with a knife when we're in the same room and we don't even speak a word to each other.

Anyone else feel the same.
Have you considered that you may be the cause of that tension?

Why do you hate her?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:36 AM

103 posts, read 226,115 times
"The interesting is, I've known her for 15 years (unfortunately) and have hardly spoken to her. Cant stand her demeanor, attitude, etc. I will NOT give her a chance- the hate between us is too deep-rooted. There has never been any outright brawl or argument or anything- just tension when we are in the same room (I do everything to avoid her like the plague). That is the interesting thing. And it is mutual dislike. The brother KNOWS very well I think she's the plague and vice versa.

What has become complicating is they have 2 kids, mind you they are very adorable.

I will keep my distance".[/quote]

This says more about you than it does her, you apparently "hate" some one that has been in the family for 15 years,that you've hardly spoken to, but that you will not give a chance,for no good reason that you can offer. She probably avoids you too,and rightly so, that's what a wise person does when they suspect another of being slightly deranged

Old 05-01-2016, 04:25 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I don't have a sister-in-law, I have a brother-in-law, (my wife's brother), and strictly speaking, his wife is not related to me, she is my brother-in-law's wife, but I happily call her my sister-in-law as she is one of the nicest people that I know.
My brother-in-law on the other hand is as dumb as all get out, but means well, and loves his wife and kids to pieces, and his sister, my wife.
One example of the dumbass things that he regularly does is when he has dinner at our place.
We have a salt and a pepper mill that both work by batteries, you push the button on top and the salt or pepper is ground out and drops on your food.
We have had these, and other ones that work on exactly the same principle for years, but WITHOUT FAIL, he will pick them up and using two hands will twist them, until they inevitably come apart and fall into his food, a battery here and a battery there, the top of the item still in his hand, the bottom in his dinner.
My wife's attitude is one of, "Oh, he's a card, and no mistake, you know what he's like."
I on the other hand, because he ALWAYS ignores the warning I give him whenever he picks up the salt or pepper mill, feel like dragging him across the table and slapping him silly, but I know that I'd end up as the villain of the piece if I did.
To the person who commented on my reputation side-bar, "A good host would buy the twist type salt and/or pepper mills", an intelligent guest would see that having buttons on top of the ones on the table, or watching other diners use them by pushing the buttons, that they were NOT the twist type kind.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I don't know of anyone who hates my SIL, but then I don't know her that well. She seems like a nice person.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Are you male or female?
I'm actually male (gay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We don't fully understand because she avoided the question... Or because she has no valid reason for her hatred.
It's a he.
These are some reasons why I hate her:
- selfish, self-centered personality and sense of entitlement

- manipulates and bullies timid brother, and speaks down to him- I understand this reflects the brother's spineless disposition but it still bothers me when she does this. She has toned this down I think over the years but I still remember her always being like this; it's just her nature.

- when I give presents to the kids, she will always make a point to thank others but not myself, etc.She is the type to not acknowledge others, etc. etc..and other ways to just deepen the tension.

Knowing she has always been like this, I have never attempted to reach out to her. I'm fine with the hate between us, I am just curious to hear of others' experiences, not any insight into how to "improve" anything. She is the plague to me, and I know she feels the same about myself.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Have you considered that you may be the cause of that tension?

Why do you hate her?
I'm OK with the tension, it's about hearing others' experiences with hating their sisters-in-law, not about personal soul searching.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post

This says more about you than it does her, you apparently "hate" some one that has been in the family for 15 years,that you've hardly spoken to, but that you will not give a chance,for no good reason that you can offer. She probably avoids you too,and rightly so, that's what a wise person does when they suspect another of being slightly deranged
Yes she avoids me as well which is better for both of us, your quip isn't exactly a revelation. And there's no skeletons in your family's closet??

Old 05-01-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Maybe her reasons are embarrassing. Maybe she's afraid that her sister in law could be reading this site.

Just help how you can and keep it moving. No need to make implications about a sensitive situation.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness, wish the "sister in law" is like this

Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
OP, did it ever occur to you that your sis in law is just reacting to your animosity towards her?

but anyway, to answer your question. Hate is such a strong word. I don't hate anyone.

My sis in law is annoying because she never shuts up but I don't hate her for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships