Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 PM

105 posts, read 95,893 times

Advertisements

Lately I have been in my thirties..yeah...
I think much more about financial security, mainly because I have very little at the moment, and also about my parents aging,my ability to care for them at some point-hopefully not sooner than later,etc. I have just become much more negative in general, I am still friendly most of the time-but find that I have a very bitter outlook and view other people as self serving and reckless. I am wondering if anyone else noticed a shift like this in their overall mood once they hit their thirties..is this normal or am I depressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:23 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times
I'm not 30 yet and I already see other people as self serving and reckless. They're also flakey and unreliable. I have known this since I was 15 but it wasn't until the past few years that I also grew cynical about the people closest to me. I have stopped wishing that my family would be warmer towards me.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
I haven't been alive for 30 years yet but I do find I am more cynical, bitter, pessimistic as the years go by. I'm not sure if it has to do with aging itself so much as it is the way my life has turned out. Maybe that is what it is with you. You are maybe just noticing your troubles more since your mind is more aware with age.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:41 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbirdcat View Post
Anyone else become more cynical with age?
If you are sentient, I don't think it's possible to avoid this.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,871 times
Meh, I've always been cynical. I'm just less inclined to fight it now.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:22 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
The longer you live, the more experience you gain. Open your heart, but always see reality for what it is.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:14 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I've been cynical before it was cool. With age, I gain more cynicalness.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbirdcat View Post
I am wondering if anyone else noticed a shift like this in their overall mood once they hit their thirties..is this normal or am I depressed?
Your thirties...?? Oh good grief! I'm 68 and not at all cynical.

You are still a very young person. What's happening to you is a stage of growth, maturing if you will. Only babies are delighted with everything all the time. "With age" (you haven't got there yet), you begin to see reality as it is, instead of the way your family and friends define it for you.

But then things turn around, and you begin to think, "this doesn't suck as much as I thought...".

Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I've developed a more negative outlook in the last few years, my late 30's. For me I don't think it's a natural part of growing older and more experienced, because I've always been able to see the good in people until recently.

What has changed my outlook is dealing with my aging parents and realizing how much my mother is willing to take advantage of me, even when it's harmful to my health or to my children. And once I realized that, I looked back over my memories of my life and realized what a selfish, negative presence my mom has always been in my life. I watch her hoarding her money rather than paying for care for my dad, when he worked his whole life and saved money to make sure he'd be taken care of in his old age. I tried to help care for him, because my mom is always willing and eager to accept (or demand) free help. I almost died taking care of them while my mom was sick, because she wouldn't let me leave them alone or hire some help for a couple of hours so I could see a doctor...by the time my sister drove across the country to stay with them, I ended up in critical condition and had to have transfusions. Last summer I was going over once a week for 9 hours to help out around their house, but I hurt my back trying to keep my dad from running into a busy street, and hurt my foot chasing him around because he won't sit for more than a minute and he pees everywhere (wears a brief but he pulls it down and goes in cupboards, on the couch, on the dog, etc). And more recently my father has started chasing my youngest daughter around the house and raising his fists like he's going to hit her, and screaming really mean things at both of my kids, and my mom acts like my kids are crazy or overreacting when they're scared to come out of their bedrooms while my parents are visiting (which my mom wants to do several times a week). So I haven't let them come over for several months, and I've felt guilty and very depressed, even though I am doing what I need to in order to protect my kids.

And it's changing the way I look at life in general. The only people I like and want to spend time with right now are my husband and my kids.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 AM

213 posts, read 204,757 times
It's normal. Some people can maintain a balance of happiness and being reasonably cynical, while others get consumed by their own negativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships