Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times

Advertisements

She email me back but she did not say thank you. She kept on bragging how much they liked her legal skills and will provide her with contracts in accordance with her skills (or lack thereof).

I'm surprised at how self-absorbed some people are. A small "thank you" for your help isn't too much to ask. I understand she had to also do her part, but I provided her with the questions and the answers according to her background. There were about 20 questions that I provided her with on top of the questions she should ask.

I'm baffled. I'll be seeing her tomorrow, aside from a "Congrats", I won't elaborate any further with her because she's seriously obtuce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I sent her an email to ask how the interview went, like any normal person. How is that abnormal?

I had an interview a few weeks back ans she did sent me an email too.
I would think you would already know this, since you are so young yourself, but an average social 23 year old woman looks at her texts/messages every time she gets a 'ding' on her phone, but might not look at her email for days or weeks unless she is expecting something, especially if she is just starting a new job.

I'm in my mid 50s and I don't know anyone who checks their non-work email even once a day.

And now that you HAVE heard back from her, without your required 'thank you', you should just chalk it up to cultural differences. If she never thanks her parents or siblings for helping her, which is probably the case, she is going to do the same for you and everyone else.

Who knows, maybe they didn't ask her any of the questions you coached her on, so she doesn't feel like it helped anyway.

Did she thank you when you were actually spending your time with her, or did she just leave when you were done?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Because as I said, when I was fresh out of college, nobody helped me out for interviews. I had to figure it out for myself after a few failed ones. I felt sympathy. When it comes to people, I usually think with my feelings, not my brain unless it's work related. In this case, she kindly asked me to help her out and I couldn't say no because I wish someone had coached me when I was fresh out of college.

Also, she seemed quite clueless (she still is). She can't sort her tax issues herself and keeps asking me for help, she couldn't find the HR number to call in sick and called me instead, she can't properly calculate those finance reports and asks for help (good thing her new job involves a lot of financial aspects as she will be working with invoices and clients - lol). She can't even generate a percentage or understand how to get millions in thousands. She's pretty like most kids. I felt sympathy, though I'm only two years older and more experienced.
She's an intern. Of course she's going to be clueless. The whole point of the internship is to train the intern on the skills she needs to do the job. In many cases they aren't even there 40 hours a week to be able to pick things up like a full-time employee would, nor do employers necessarily give them the same level of responsibility as they would a full-time employee.

I am sure when I was doing work as an intern some of my work product was horrible as well because I simply had no clue what I was doing. If I did, I wouldn't be an intern!

You mention that you gave her the interview questions and answers. Were you the hiring manager? Do you necessarily know what questions were asked and what answers the HM even wanted? Unless you are actually a hiring manager, your guess is as good as anyone else what the HM will ask or what for an answer.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Is this even for real? The more the story grows, the more it sounds like typical office drama. Tell part of one side of a story and get everyone to jump in on that side without all the facts. People are making claims about her, her parents, how she was raised, etc. Fascinating social study.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
She's an intern. Of course she's going to be clueless. The whole point of the internship is to train the intern on the skills she needs to do the job. In many cases they aren't even there 40 hours a week to be able to pick things up like a full-time employee would, nor do employers necessarily give them the same level of responsibility as they would a full-time employee.

I am sure when I was doing work as an intern some of my work product was horrible as well because I simply had no clue what I was doing. If I did, I wouldn't be an intern!

You mention that you gave her the interview questions and answers. Were you the hiring manager? Do you necessarily know what questions were asked and what answers the HM even wanted? Unless you are actually a hiring manager, your guess is as good as anyone else what the HM will ask or what for an answer.
We're both paid employees, except she has the status of trainee due to her contract with her school. She has the same responsibility as a full time employee and so do I. We're getting paid fairly well. I'm not her supervisor in any way shape or form. We do the same work.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Is this even for real? The more the story grows, the more it sounds like typical office drama. Tell part of one side of a story and get everyone to jump in on that side without all the facts. People are making claims about her, her parents, how she was raised, etc. Fascinating social study.
I never made any claims about her parents. She's a grown woman. I won't involve her parents and her upbringing into the mix because it's far fetched in my opinion. At 23, you should have developed some sort of common sense.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I would think you would already know this, since you are so young yourself, but an average social 23 year old woman looks at her texts/messages every time she gets a 'ding' on her phone, but might not look at her email for days or weeks unless she is expecting something, especially if she is just starting a new job.

I'm in my mid 50s and I don't know anyone who checks their non-work email even once a day.

And now that you HAVE heard back from her, without your required 'thank you', you should just chalk it up to cultural differences. If she never thanks her parents or siblings for helping her, which is probably the case, she is going to do the same for you and everyone else.

Who knows, maybe they didn't ask her any of the questions you coached her on, so she doesn't feel like it helped anyway.

Did she thank you when you were actually spending your time with her, or did she just leave when you were done?
Three days to reply to a Facebook message when she usually replies within the hour? Of course.

I asked her if they asked the questions we worked on and she said yes. If they hadn't asked her, I wouldn't care because in that case, it was her own doing.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:52 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
She email me back but she did not say thank you. She kept on bragging how much they liked her legal skills and will provide her with contracts in accordance with her skills (or lack thereof).

I'm surprised at how self-absorbed some people are. A small "thank you" for your help isn't too much to ask. I understand she had to also do her part, but I provided her with the questions and the answers according to her background. There were about 20 questions that I provided her with on top of the questions she should ask.

I'm baffled. I'll be seeing her tomorrow, aside from a "Congrats", I won't elaborate any further with her because she's seriously obtuce.
perhaps you should just be bold and instead of saying congrats just say "a thank you would be nice for the answers I gave you to the interview questions"

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 AM

By the way, when I say "clueless" I'm not talking about understanding the tasks assigned to her (though you can tell her 3 times how to do something, she'll still manage to go and ask a 4th time to someone else).

You don't have to be a PhD student to know how to calculate the percentage of a nominal amount or to convert millions into thousands. For someone who works in finance, it's a bit of a hurdle.

She was given an essay by her professor in college and asked me to help her out with it on her second week. C'mon.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
most people these days lack any manners.
step daughter is a teacher at a college, her students don't want to learn the subject, they just want to learn enough to pass the exam.
sign of the times.
I was always told "a little knowledge is a bad thing", lets hope none of them go on to be brain or heart surgeons!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships