Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you could still say something along the lines like "well you certainly left us with lot of extra work, I gave up a night out that with my husband that was already paid for, so where are you taking us for lunch(you and your coworker), some place with tablecloths", and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Lol! I like this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
There is this girl from work who happens to be an intern. She's still in college and had her very first interview for a job post-graduation last week.

She asked me to help her out with the interview. She wanted me to train her and to provide her with the answers to the questions that could be asked. I have quite a large spectrum of interview experiences, so I knew how to prepare her properly.

She was totally unprepared beforehand. She had no clue how to answer the questions.

Turns out she got the job. I had sent her an email and she didn't bother replying at all. Not even a thank you. I sent her the email three days ago. I've never seen such thing in my life. Now that she got the job, I'm useless?

I now wish I hadn't helped her out to be honest.

Rant over.
Yeah, some people are very opportunistic. I've experienced it, too. Hopefully, she doesn't ruin your good-natured self.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
There is this girl from work who happens to be an intern. She's still in college and had her very first interview for a job post-graduation last week.

She asked me to help her out with the interview. She wanted me to train her and to provide her with the answers to the questions that could be asked. I have quite a large spectrum of interview experiences, so I knew how to prepare her properly.

She was totally unprepared beforehand. She had no clue how to answer the questions.

Turns out she got the job. I had sent her an email and she didn't bother replying at all. Not even a thank you. I sent her the email three days ago. I've never seen such thing in my life. Now that she got the job, I'm useless?

Rant over.
I loaned a guy close to 10000 USD equivalent for his house payment. He hasnt paid it back completely in 4 years yet and He doesnt even invite me there as a courtesy...

But I always believe our good deeds will be eventually returned to us in time..

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I would think you would already know this, since you are so young yourself, but an average social 23 year old woman looks at her texts/messages every time she gets a 'ding' on her phone, but might not look at her email for days or weeks unless she is expecting something, especially if she is just starting a new job.

I'm in my mid 50s and I don't know anyone who checks their non-work email even once a day.
Almost EVERYONE I know under the age of 70 checks their email every day -- even my 87 year old MIL. There's a few oddballs here and there, and sometimes vacation interrupts, but for the most part, the little ding-bat simply didn't take the time to thank the OP for their efforts. It's not an age thing, it's not a cultural thing -- it's a MANNERS thing, and Miss Ding-Bat is severely lacking. I monitor my emails constantly -- between a mother who is in and out of the hospital and tight work deadlines and a husband who travels, it's essential.

OP, I think there are a few important things here:

1. Miss Ding-Bat needs to be gently reminded that she will go a lot further if she brushes up on corporate etiquette. A simple thank you goes a long way -- as you know. :-) She needs to get in the habit of expressing appreciation for ANY assistance, whoever offers it, from her boss' boss to the janitor. Perhaps your meeting her today is her way of saying thank you -- perhaps she'll buy drinks or lunch.

2. After that, let it go. I don't think you lost anything in the karma universe by offering help where it was needed. Don't let it sour you on offering help again when it might be needed. Apparently you did a good job helping her practice for her interview, so that's a gift you have.

3. They didn't ask you for a reference, so it's not really on you to have reported on her flighty ways.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:

Rant over.
There's nothing less attractive in the world than ingratitude.

And, quite frankly, there are people in the world who are only nice to others when those people are useful.

Mind you, you never know. It could have gone to her junk folder. Stranger things have happened. But if it didn't, chalk it up to experience. And realize that people like the girl in question always, always run out of road eventually.

I had someone like that in my life. This was a guy who was fired by one of my clients. So I called him up and invited him to call me if he ever needed help. Two weeks later, he rang me, saying that he really didn't know what to do with his life.

Over the next couple of months, I let him use a spare office where he could set up his consultancy. When he had written a book manuscript, I helped him write his book proposal, his query letter, and gave him a ton of advice when dealing with an agent. When his book was published, he thanked me in the foreword.

So far so good, right? So as his book was in the throes of being published (It's one of the Idiot's Guides), he comes to me with a harebrained business idea. While I was talking him out of it, I came up with a different biz idea in his industry. He took one look at me, said, "That's brilliant," and was off the races. The deal was that I'd give him support while he developed the biz idea, and my share of stock was 20%. And, yes, we had that written in a document. It was not a handshake deal.

He got lots of traction in the industry, and suddenly there were VC people involved. And my staff had literally put dozens and dozens of hours into the project.

So what does he do? One day, he leaves correspondence on our conference room table describing to his VC guy how he was going to cut me out of share ownership. Seriously. I basically picked this guy off the floor, dusted him off, gave him a place to work, was instrumental in getting his book published, gave him his killer biz idea, and committed untold hours in consultative fees, and brought in probably a dozen investors and strategic partners, and he was trying to stiff me.

I simply threw him out, told him the work we did was my intellectual property, and called the people I brought in. Last time I heard, he was managing an Arby's somewhere. Serves him right.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Thanks for your help guys!

She saw my email, saw me in the office the next day, didn't say thanks and started talking about her ex who works in the office. She was suddenly very brief with me and stopped contacting me on the online chat. She was like a moth to a flame before her interview.

She came back with this sort of arrogant attitude because she got the job. A job which will require her to deal with invoices when she always requests me help her out with reports that involve even a basic percentage calculation.

She probably thinks she's better than me because got this position. If she only knew.

Her future boss already warned her during the interview that she's an arrogant boss. Given the fact this girl requires assistance for simple tasks such as deleting a row on Excel or searching something on the database, good luck to her because she's gonna need it. She's been here three months with proper training beforehand ...

Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
On top of this, she is lazy.

She didn't show up at work on Thursday because she had "allergies kicking in" and we had to pick up the slack. The following day, she was off. She came to work on Saturday and literally butchered her work because when I edited her work on Monday, one could tell she did it quickly and didn't proceed to do a thorough research. There was a major financial transaction involved which she didn't bother dealing with because it was filled "with numbers". She tried to dodge it. Of course, because I edited the document, I had to re-do the transaction report from scratch which took another two hours and that's only 1/3 of this report. I had warned my supervisor that the report would have some delay because I had to re-do the transaction report because she hadn't seen the relevant documents which were up on some financial disclosure database. He was like "but didn't X do it?". I had to tell him she didn't see the document. He wasn't too pleased about the delay, but he figured out what I meant.

This also causes delay on my own reports and therefore, affects my personal performance.

The problem is because she writes reports and then I edit them or someone else does, the supervisors cannot take notice of her lack of motivation and inability to work properly because the editing conceals any mistakes or omissions she may make. When I told her I had to re-do the transaction report, she wasn't apologetic at all. She was like "I did it on Saturday, I was tired, I went through it quickly". I wanted to tell her "you had two days off right before, so please, don't tell me you were tired". She then told me "I'm happy to re-did the transaction report properly because I saw a bunch of numbers and I was like "I can't"". She literally skips parts of her reports whenever it suits her.

She won't even try to do her work properly. I can't believe that she got hired to begin with. She's getting paid for this, a fairly good amount. It's not like she is doing it for free.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:

Rant over.
Yes it would be me sending you an email, chocolates, flowers, gift cards etc etc to thank YOU!.

Still I'm sure she will get stuck and require your help/assistance again so youll get the chance to act accordingly........ ( cue for the middle finger to come out ... )

No but seriously that's awful I get annoyed when people don't say thank you for going out of your way to hold a door open for them but after spending time and putting effort in for someone that's not even beneficial for myself its wrong

Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
On top of this, she is lazy.

She didn't show up at work on Thursday because she had "allergies kicking in" and we had to pick up the slack. The following day, she was off. She came to work on Saturday and literally butchered her work because when I edited her work on Monday, one could tell she did it quickly and didn't proceed to do a thorough research. There was a major financial transaction involved which she didn't bother dealing with because it was filled "with numbers". She tried to dodge it. Of course, because I edited the document, I had to re-do the transaction report from scratch which took another two hours and that's only 1/3 of this report. I had warned my supervisor that the report would have some delay because I had to re-do the transaction report because she hadn't seen the relevant documents which were up on some financial disclosure database. He was like "but didn't X do it?". I had to tell him she didn't see the document. He wasn't too pleased about the delay, but he figured out what I meant.

This also causes delay on my own reports and therefore, affects my personal performance.

The problem is because she writes reports and then I edit them or someone else does, the supervisors cannot take notice of her lack of motivation and inability to work properly because the editing conceals any mistakes or omissions she may make. When I told her I had to re-do the transaction report, she wasn't apologetic at all. She was like "I did it on Saturday, I was tired, I went through it quickly". I wanted to tell her "you had two days off right before, so please, don't tell me you were tired". She then told me "I'm happy to re-did the transaction report properly because I saw a bunch of numbers and I was like "I can't"". She literally skips parts of her reports whenever it suits her.

She won't even try to do her work properly. I can't believe that she got hired to begin with. She's getting paid for this, a fairly good amount. It's not like she is doing it for free.
You are a big part of the problem. For one thing, you are dishonest, lack integrity, and act in ways that are counterproductive to your company. You are now suffering some of the consequences of your actions.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:10 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly;43898/
, I won't elaborate any further with her because she's seriously obtuce.
Just please don't advise anyone how to spell that word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships