Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 AM

775 posts, read 776,428 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this was a general courtesy thread or posted for only that specifuc situation. My beef is lack of courtesy just because something is legal. Am referring to indoor smoking. It is not gone everywhere. I live in Vegas where smoking indoors is allowed where gambling is. Indoor smokers are inconsiderate. Period. And here, so many thin blooded little pansies who can't take the heat to smoke outside, and who are not gambling, smoke inside, even when others are eating. I have started bringing a portable fan with me to set up on our table to blow at smokers, at least to blow their filthy smoke the other way. It is legal. I am not polluting or creating a nuisance.....but it is as courteous as the smoking is. And it works. I still smell like an ashtray when I go home, but it helps me breathe and makes a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Not sure if this was a general courtesy thread or posted for only that specifuc situation. My beef is lack of courtesy just because something is legal. Am referring to indoor smoking. It is not gone everywhere. I live in Vegas where smoking indoors is allowed where gambling is. Indoor smokers are inconsiderate. Period. And here, so many thin blooded little pansies who can't take the heat to smoke outside, and who are not gambling, smoke inside, even when others are eating. I have started bringing a portable fan with me to set up on our table to blow at smokers, at least to blow their filthy smoke the other way. It is legal. I am not polluting or creating a nuisance.....but it is as courteous as the smoking is. And it works. I still smell like an ashtray when I go home, but it helps me breathe and makes a point.
I feel for you. I went there a few months ago, and had no idea that smoking was allowed indoors there. When I flew back home, my eardrum nearly exploded from all the congestion caused by being in smoky areas combined with air pressure.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry to hear that, OP. Some people are very opportunistic, only concerned with getting ahead at any cost.

I wouldn't have given her the answers, only the questions. She could come up with her own answers. It's the difference between parents doing their kids' homework for them, vs. enabling them to do it themselves with a little guidance.

Still, I imagine that would have been hard to do. She would have demanded that you help her with the answers. Well, live and learn, I guess. Maybe the next time someone asks, you should charge for your coaching/tutoring service. No free ride anymore, no more Mister Nice Guy.

Great Post !

Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
On top of this, she is lazy.

She came to work on Saturday and literally butchered her work because when I edited her work on Monday, one could tell she did it quickly and didn't proceed to do a thorough research. There was a major financial transaction involved which she didn't bother dealing with because it was filled "with numbers". She tried to dodge it. Of course, because I edited the document, I had to re-do the transaction report from scratch which took another two hours and that's only 1/3 of this report. I had warned my supervisor that the report would have some delay because I had to re-do the transaction report because she hadn't seen the relevant documents which were up on some financial disclosure database. He was like "but didn't X do it?". I had to tell him she didn't see the document. He wasn't too pleased about the delay, but he figured out what I meant.

This also causes delay on my own reports and therefore, affects my personal performance.

The problem is because she writes reports and then I edit them or someone else does, the supervisors cannot take notice of her lack of motivation and inability to work properly because the editing conceals any mistakes or omissions she may make. When I told her I had to re-do the transaction report, she wasn't apologetic at all. She was like "I did it on Saturday, I was tired, I went through it quickly". I wanted to tell her "you had two days off right before, so please, don't tell me you were tired". She then told me "I'm happy to re-did the transaction report properly because I saw a bunch of numbers and I was like "I can't"". She literally skips parts of her reports whenever it suits her.

She won't even try to do her work properly. I can't believe that she got hired to begin with. She's getting paid for this, a fairly good amount. It's not like she is doing it for free.

I am going through the exact same thing at my work. We have reports that we need to send out, and its dependent on other's. If the items aren't in there, I need to run around and add them in. The report omits any names and we all get "credit". I would suggest saving a copy of her original work so you can have a before and after. It may come in handy later on.
I even made a thread about it here: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...coworkers.html

Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I am going through the exact same thing at my work. We have reports that we need to send out, and its dependent on other's. If the items aren't in there, I need to run around and add them in. The report omits any names and we all get "credit". I would suggest saving a copy of her original work so you can have a before and after. It may come in handy later on.
I even made a thread about it here: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...coworkers.html
Yep, this is what I've been doing for weeks now, ever since she deleted something on my own report and claimed she didn't. Good thing this episode happened right when she started, so I was able to open my eyes and set precautionary measures early in the process.
I save copies of her orginal work and mine afterwards, so that I have some kind of proof of the extent of my work.

Oh, and I was not one to judge whether or not she was qualified for the position she applied for and got. She was offered the interview through a recruitment agency which probably thought she was qualified, so I couldn't cast a judgment. Though the truth is given the job specs and the work she's delivered in the company, I doubt she's actually qualified to deal with corporate orders invoices. As I said, she told me that whenever she saw reports involving numbers, she'd just skip the whole numerical part to leave it for the editor.

I'm not too worried, she won't last long in her new job. All she did here was chase men and go for smoke breaks, so given the description she gave me about her future boss, she'll end up on the side of the road in no time. Her future boss told her at the interview "I'm pretentious, and everyone knows it. I can be mean but that's because I want to cut all BS". Good luck to her with that, because the current company may have let her behavior slide by, but I'm sure this one won't. Besides, I'm sure the company will eventually shed light on her poor performance during her exit interview.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
A bit of an update here: She never said thank you. She's gone now and I cut her off. She wanted to keep in touch .. maybe in another dimension, no thank you!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
No, I did not, but it's normal to expect a small thank you. I stayed after work for an hour just to prepare her for her interview and it was already 8 pm. I could have gone home, but I chose to help her because I wanted to. But it's a two way street in my opinion. If someone gives me a lift, I can at least say thank you even if I don't offer to pay for the gas!

Either way, if she's bad at the current job she's in, I doubt she'll perform any better in her future position.
This concerns me. Why would you help someone get a job at a company if you knew they would be crap at it?

Is this a woman thing? I can't imagine a man giving a poor-performing colleague a leg up just because he wanted to be "nice."

Come on women! Stop acting like sorority girls instead of working professionals! This stuff hurts all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships