Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

So, I have this friend I have known a long time, and she has changed over the years.

Long story short, she has kind of transformed into more of a socialite/fashion/high end type. Loves to buy clothes, go to expensive places for dinner. Loves to take selfies in the mirror dressed up and with makeup. When we're out, she takes pictures of everything she does and posts selected ones on Facebook later. She wasn't like that before, but I digress.

In any case, I've noticed that she never posts pictures of me with her even though she takes some. Now I don't think I'm a hideous looking person. I'm in decent shape, wear decent clothes that fit, and comb my hair with gel when I go out. But I'm not a beautiful/fashion fabulous person by any means. I'm probably in the scheme of things a below average looking guy who is in decent shape, and dresses OK.

Are people so shallow as to only post pictures of their better looking friends/friends who make for better looking photos on Facebook or is this all in my head? It doesn't really matter to me either way. I only use Facebook as a distraction and not to fuel/judge my social life. And me and her are not as close as we used to be.

But I was wondering is this is something that is commonly done and the opinion of it.

Oh BTW, we're both around 40 years old. If that makes a difference (I think it should).

Old 05-01-2016, 11:40 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So, I have this friend I have known a long time, and she has changed over the years.

Long story short, she has kind of transformed into more of a socialite/fashion/high end type. Loves to buy clothes, go to expensive places for dinner. Loves to take selfies in the mirror dressed up and with makeup. When we're out, she takes pictures of everything she does and posts selected ones on Facebook later. She wasn't like that before, but I digress.

In any case, I've noticed that she never posts pictures of me with her even though she takes some. Now I don't think I'm a hideous looking person. I'm in decent shape, wear decent clothes that fit, and comb my hair with gel when I go out. But I'm not a beautiful/fashion fabulous person by any means. I'm probably in the scheme of things a below average looking guy who is in decent shape, and dresses OK.

Are people so shallow as to only post pictures of their better looking friends/friends who make for better looking photos on Facebook or is this all in my head?
It doesn't really matter to me either way. I only use Facebook as a distraction and not to fuel/judge my social life. And me and her are not as close as we used to be.

But I was wondering is this is something that is commonly done and the opinion of it.

Oh BTW, we're both around 40 years old. If that makes a difference (I think it should).
Short answer: Yes. My opinion is that it is crappy to treat your friends as props for your selfies or Facebook pictures.

Side point, I have known brides who selected their bridesmaids to be slightly less attractive than them but still "good looking" enough to have great wedding pictures.

I once had a co-worker whose sister told her flat out "You can not be my maid of honor unless you lose 60 pounds. I want my wedding pictures to be "perfect"."

Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
The fact that you felt the need to post this question on the internet means it does matter to you.

Why don't you ask your friend why she doesn't include you on her Facebook posts. Maybe you should just find better friends. Forty year old people whose lives revolve around Facebook are pretty shallow, immature and overly self involved in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Short answer: Yes. My opinion is that it is crappy to treat your friends as props for your selfies or Facebook pictures.

Side point, I have known brides who selected their bridesmaids to be slightly less attractive than them but still "good looking" enough to have great wedding pictures.

I once had a co-worker whose sister told her flat out "You can not be my maid of honor unless you lose 60 pounds. I want my wedding pictures to be "perfect"."
Yes. I am aware that there are people like that.

But typically become LESS shallow as they get older.

In any case, if I'm right, it's kind of sad. We've been friends for like 15 years.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The fact that you felt the need to post this question on the internet means it does matter to you.

Why don't you ask your friend why she doesn't include you on her Facebook posts. Maybe you should just find better friends. Forty year old people whose lives revolve around Facebook are pretty shallow, immature and overly self involved in my opinion.
Well, it matters in the sense that I thought about it yes.

But it wouldn't crush me to learn it's true. I am, after all 40. Seen it done it all. And her and I have been drifting apart for some time.

It's tough to find good friends. Very, VERY tough.

You want to be my friend? Lol.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:29 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
I'm around your age and really don't want to be someone's prop on her FB page. Seriously? Maybe the women in her pictures are as obsessed as she is and are posting the same and/or similar selfies. That seems normal for people 15-25 years younger, but not for someone who is 40. Seriously? You should be happy that she isn't posting pictures of your every little activity together on FB if you aren't nearly as active posting selfies on social media sites as she is.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Maybe she isn't posting because she doesn't like the way she looks in that particular picture. You truly have no idea her reasons behind it.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
People pick and choose the image they want to present on FB. Maybe she doesn't look as good in the selfies with you as she does in others. Maybe she doesn't want to post them because she doesn't want people to ask questions about you or maybe there is some "behind the scenes reason" she isn't putting you up in her pics. Maybe she takes a thousand pictures and is very selective about what she choose. Who knows. If it bothers you, ask her directly. I'm around you age, and that's too old to play games of "what if" and "why do you think," imo. I mean I certainly wonder things sometimes, but if I wonder something like you're talking about, then I'd just ask directly. Maybe it's purposeful, maybe she has no clue she's leaving you out. In any case, it gets it on the table.

I don't do FB, btw. I have lots of friends who do and I'm always amazed at the ridiculous drama it can create.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:23 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Sorry but yes attractive people don't want unattractive people on the page with them. That's why she is not including you.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:28 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Are people so shallow as to only post pictures of their better looking friends/friends who make for better looking photos on Facebook or is this all in my head? It doesn't really matter to me either way. I only use Facebook as a distraction and not to fuel/judge my social life. And me and her are not as close as we used to be.

Is this really the kind of person you want to be hanging out with, anyway? She wasn't like that before, but she suddenly became all narcissistic? It's not normal to amuse yourself taking glammed-up selfies in the bathroom mirror, and to treat what I assume to be your (her) FB acc't like some kind of celebrity promotional vehicle. This is strange, OP. I give people like that a wide berth. Time to do a fade-out from her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships