Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I guess part of my hurt is so always make sure everyone else is honored but no one does the same for me. For instance, my ex is not being great these days. So I will pick up a flower and drop off to his momma so she feels honored.

It is what it is. Maybe next year I will just skip it. I feel like I am dumping holidays off the calendar left and right. This year I did not do Christmas. I ran to the liquor store and spent the day drinking all by myself. Easter I was invited to a friends after she realized I was alone for Christmas. Holidays suck.
Where were your kids? What are you teaching them?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
My children are young. I think it should be the moms that are actively parenting now that should be rewarded. Not the ones that gave up parenting 25 years ago. Heck I raised my brother.
Quote:
One father is dead and the other cant even be responsible to visit our son on his scheduled weekends. I guess my time to be honored for being a mother is after my kids are adults.
So which is it - you don't need to honor your own mother since she's no longer "actively parenting" but your children need to honor you even once they are adults?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quite honestly, I think this is pretty low on a list of things to be miserable about.

There isn't anything wrong with telling your mom that you and you and your kids will be celebrating mom's day together at an activity you are planning. Send your mom a card. Be responsible for your own Mother's Day joy.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
it seems like single moms draw the short straw once again with celebrating Mother's Day. Ugh. And they typically have the hardest parenting job because they do everything without help.

This year my mother decided she wants to do a picnic at her house. My brother and I are to split the cost of crabs. I will cover the half but it is not like I am getting recognized as being a mom, currently raising children. Where is my congratulations? Oh that is right... The same thing as every other day, Pat myself on the back and keep chugging along.

Hopefully when my kids are older I will get the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day.
So, don't do it. If you're not close with your mother and feel that she failed you, then don't ruin the day by spending it with her. Do something on your own with just your kids (not sure why you think a 5 and 12 year old are too young to make you feel special on Mother's Day ).

Listen, on some level I get it; I used to have a chip on my shoulder because Mother's Day served as annual reminder of the fact that I don't have one. But, I'm not going to spoil the fun for my kids, when the day is about children making a big ol' fuss and showing appreciation for their mothers.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:18 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
These are manufactured holidays so greeting card companies and flower shops and restaurants can sell lots of their stuff. If you're a single mom then celebrate with another or other single moms and plan something fun to acknowledge yourselves. Single pet moms are on the short end of the stick too (especially if Rover takes the stick). Who acknowledges them?

Remember there are women out there in the world who can't have children, though they might be married. Would you want to trade places and not be able to have kids?

Be thankful for the gifts you do have in your life, the things that money can't buy.

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How is the Mother's Day picnic at your mom's house not a party for you as well?
If it is a celebration for me, why am I providing the food? a bushel of crabs is not cheap either.

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
That's exactly what I was wondering.

OP, do you want Christmas to be special? Then make it so! Take your kids out to see the lights, to hear the music, to enjoy the smells of cookies. Take them to church and sing carols. Take them to the mall and let them sit on Santa's lap. I don't know how your Christmases were when you were growing up, but whether they were fantastic or horrible, it has no bearing on how you shape things for your kids.

Same goes for Mother's Day. If you want to made a big deal of on this day, arrange it yourself. But beware the danger, that your kids associate Mother's Day with being forced into doing stuff against their will; it's a recipe for resentment in later years.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
it seems like single moms draw the short straw once again with celebrating Mother's Day. Ugh. And they typically have the hardest parenting job because they do everything without help.

This year my mother decided she wants to do a picnic at her house. My brother and I are to split the cost of crabs. I will cover the half but it is not like I am getting recognized as being a mom, currently raising children. Where is my congratulations? Oh that is right... The same thing as every other day, Pat myself on the back and keep chugging along.

Hopefully when my kids are older I will get the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day.

I don't get it.

You mom's celebration is for all the moms in the family, right?

I do think it's tacky of your mom to ask you to pay half if it is a celebration for you, but to each his own.

What do you want to do? What is your perfect Mother's Day?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
She is a selfish attention hog.

Last year I was told to host the family picnic. I bought, paid for and prepared the food. I bought a potted plant for my mother and sister in law.
You have a weird family. For me, hosting a picnic means telling people what dishes to bring and buying the paper plates and plastic cutlery. If somebody wants to grill something, I'll make sure there is propane.

For mother's day, send your mother a card. Maybe buy her a bouquet of flowers at the supermarket. I always made sure my mother had flowers for mother's day and her birthday.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
One was with his father. The other went with my family on vacation. I was home alone for Christmas and pet sitting my parents and brothers dogs.

I was not cooking a big meal for just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships