Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

If I recall, it was 16 or so. Related to me getting my driver's license, I think. I was allowed to have an approved friend or two stay to keep me company. It was fine.

For me it would depend on the kid's maturity, confidence, and reliability levels.

I'm surprised how many people and their children in this thread didn't or don't know how to cook for themselves. I'm a terrible cook but even as a teenager I could make some pasta or grill a piece of meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
I don't think you should leave her alone, because you don't know any of your neighbors and your daughter can't drive. She will be stuck at home alone the entire time. The fact that you are asking strangers their opinions about what you should do makes me think that you are not comfortable leaving her home alone. If you were, you wouldn't be asking.

So my advice is that you have her stay with a friend - someone whose parents you trust. Board the dog. That way you can go away and have fun with your husband without worrying about your daughter or the dog.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Years ago, we made the mistake of leaving our 16 year old daughter home (with the two dogs). When we returned the next night, we could hear music booming nearly a block away, and as we got closer to the house, all of the lights were on, a few angry neighbors were out on the sidewalk, and teenagers were jumping off the front porch and running when they saw us coming and both dogs were on the front porch unleashed and snarfing down potato chips - we interrupted a party going full blast.
Yes, that can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If I recall, it was 16 or so. Related to me getting my driver's license, I think. I was allowed to have an approved friend or two stay to keep me company. It was fine.

For me it would depend on the kid's maturity, confidence, and reliability levels.

I'm surprised how many people and their children in this thread didn't or don't know how to cook for themselves. I'm a terrible cook but even as a teenager I could make some pasta or grill a piece of meat.
I was also surprised when a number of people mentioned that they or their teenage children did not know how to cook. If you don't learn to cook when you are living at home how are you going to learn? Some parents must expect that cooking skills arrive by magic when someone signs the lease to their first apartment.

To the OP, teens are different and communities are different. If your daughter is OK with it and you trust her it should be fine.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:06 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I would never leave a 16 year old home alone.
Mine are 16 and 20 and I still have someone come stay with them when we leave together once a year!
16 year old's don't generally make the best choices!
Just my opinion!
Oh my. Is the 20 year old mentally or physically handicapped?

Keeping your children from growing up is a real disservice to them and the rest of society, btw.

OP, from my personal experience with my kids, I've found 16 was an appropriate age for leaving them home alone for a couple of nights. Of course, this meant that had their own car, a fully stocked pantry, as well as some money for pizza/fast food, etc. My kids are worldly, have traveled alone overseas, and are pretty mature. We also live in a community where my neighbors would mention if anything were out of sorts. You'll have to determine both you and your daughters level of comfort.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 AM

189 posts, read 176,495 times
I was 13, left alone for a month, bunch of money to buy food and pay the rent. Was perfectly fine with it.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I would never leave a 16 year old home alone.
Mine are 16 and 20 and I still have someone come stay with them when we leave together once a year!
16 year old's don't generally make the best choices!
Just my opinion!
WTF???? My mom married my dad when she was 19 and they had a house built when they were 20 and had their first child. My dad got drafted into the military when he was 18.

Are your children handicapped? If they still need supervision at that age, there is something seriously wrong with you or your kids or all of you.

I lived on my own when I was 18, paid my own rent. Worked for 3 years as an apprentice while going to school and waitressed on the weekends at the age 16-22. I started delivering weekly magazines when I was 13 to save up for a car.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I was fine staying alone at 16 but I think every kid is different. Teenage girls seem to be inclined to start hearing "strange noises" if they are alone in the house after dark! My twin girls are 14. One of them can't stand to be alone at home, she would rather tag along with me for a boring errand. On the other hand, her twin sister loves to have the run of the house, she will actually ask me "sooo, how soon are you leaving?"!

Last edited by coschristi; 05-11-2016 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: "alone" used twice

Old 05-11-2016, 11:52 AM

54 posts, read 56,089 times
When I was a kid, my parents started letting me stay at home alone at the age of 10, and overnights at the age of 14. I was always a good kid that was very self sufficient and never got into trouble, however, and my parents leaving me alone was never a problem.

Every kid is different, so just go with your instincts.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
okay, that is your own fault if you leave the key accessible.
No not my fault. We laid down the law before we left. No parties. Kid had a job and had earned money for a car. Kid allowed not enough time to get to work, and skidded into another car on the way to job. Car totaled. No car for freshmen year of college. Worked next summer and got to job on a bike. Lesson was learned, I think. We couldn't afford to replace the car.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We are new to this area and don't know most of our neighbors (townhomes). She doesn't have her license yet - just a permit - so no car.

We've left her alone for several hours before on many occasions here at the house and she has done fine.

Also - she has a summer program she's going to where she'll be on a college campus for a month taking a college class so I was thinking this might be a good way to ease her into being off on her own before that happens. Yeah, it's different but ...
New to the area? No car?

No. I don't think she should be left home alone for the weekend. My opinion would change if she had close neighbors/friends she could call in a pinch, or a way to get around if need be.

The college campus situation is WAY different.

Instead of a "weekend away" with your husband, why don't you start with a night? Or wait until Fall when school is back in session and she knows more friends and neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships