Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:15 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times

Advertisements

[quote=suzy_q2010;44308618]It's not that hard to research a charity and find out how it spends its money.

Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home

I doubt seriously that any money donated to a medical fundraising charity goes to a drug company. Different charities have different things they focus on. Some are for research, but that is usually directed to universities as grants. The universities may also get money from drug companies. Even if a patent expires there is still demand for the drug.

Research is directed toward finding better drugs with fewer side effects and few drugs for cancers for which there are currently no good treatments.

From the link above, here is a charity I support. You can see just where the money comes from (some of it mine and DH's ) and where it goes:

Charity Navigator - Rating for CURE Childhood Cancer

CURE provides research grants, but also spends about as much on support for patients and families.

Give wisely. It can be done.[/quote

Why I Don

American Cancer Society: Where does your money go? | WSB-TV

How Big Pharma is slowing cancer research

http://www.businessinsider.com/small...search-2013-10

http://healthjournalism.org/blog/201...and-reporters/

Last edited by Don in Austin; 06-05-2016 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The author is entitled to his opinion, but most of it has nothing to do with research. Prevention of cancer with a healthy lifestyle is ideal, but you can have the most ideal lifestyle possible and still get cancer.

Go to Charity Navigators and choose one that uses its donations more efficiently.

Provide incentives for drug companies to collaborate.

This is merchandise. Should we expect the entire price of the product to be donated? I buy pine straw for my yard from a local Boy Scout troop. About 25% of the price is a charitable donation. The rest is the cost for them to buy the straw. Should the vendor for the straw provide it free?

When there are diseases that affect a relatively small number of people - called orphan drugs - how do you propose to fund research for them? Obviously the resulting treatment needs to be evaluated on its merits.

I agree that the cost of some of the new drugs is mind boggling. The question is how to get enough funding to the drug company to achieve a lower price point for the drug when it is approved. If that does not come from a charity, are you willing for it to come from us taxpayers?

This is off topic, since the OP has not indicated that the reason for not participating in the fundraiser is financial. All she has to do is decline to participate. It is not necessary to give a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships