Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,211,140 times

Advertisements

The book idea is terrific. Why not a theme? How about a ramp up with a Dr. Suess book every special occasion? Sign them with a favorite saying/quote or short story about yourself and or childhood memory which lovingly includes their parent, your sibling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 10:51 PM

314 posts, read 234,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why is the OP being crappy? He does not even know this child and it is obvious the child does not know him. Just because the child is a nephew means nothing.
Because its the right thing to do.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:23 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,001,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You are his uncle. It's your sibling's child, who is having a milestone bday. Yes, you should get him a gift.

Just put a twenty in a bday card for a one-year-old, mail it and be done with it. And FTR, deciding NOT to sending a baby a present because you're mad that your mom told you to is a bit childish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Send a damn card. Maybe include a gift certificate to Babies R Us. Don't alienate your siblings by appearing uncaring.

And not doing something because your mom tells you to went out of style in 3rd grade. FYI.
I read the OP 3 times and nowhere did I see anything about not getting a gift because of the mom. In the 4 things listed, the mom isn't mentioned.

One perspective is this: Did the child send the OP a gift on the OP's birthday? No? Well, then...

The kid is a baby. He doesn't know one gift from another and has no clue what a birthday or gift is.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why is the OP being crappy? He does not even know this child and it is obvious the child does not know him. Just because the child is a nephew means nothing.
Give it a rest already, we know you have an awful family. Not everyone else does.

OP, a gift card or has been suggested a savings bond is a great idea.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 AM

6,186 posts, read 3,551,802 times
Yes, the first birthday is a big deal. One reason is because only a century a ago it was common for children not to reach age one. It was kind of like if a child made it that far they were over the hump.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxm98 View Post
Because its the right thing to do.
For who and why exactly?
If this child rarely sees the OP then any card or gift is going to be meaningless.
Just like the gift card the OP decided to send.
It will mean nothing to the child and the OP only sent it because he allowed his mother and random strangers on a public forum into bullying, shaming and guilting him into sending it.
There is no obligation just because someone is a blood relative especially when they don't even know the person.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:40 AM

14,772 posts, read 17,032,670 times
OP, do what you want. You're an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have five nephews, age eight, five, nineteen months ×2 (twins), and eight months. I have one niece, age five (twin to a nephew). I live 600+ miles from all of them. I send them cards and gifts, and they do know me.
I have 8 nephews, 2 nieces. I live 800km away, and they know me, --- and I have a little saying or joke with each and every one of them. People will make an effort for what is important to them. My siblings kids, are important to me.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:07 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I am 34 and live across the country so I cannot attend my nephews 1st bday party. My mom keeps buggin me telling me I need to send a gift or card, but I didn't because 1. He isn't even old enough to understand what a gift is. 2. I was not attending the party. 3. I just mailed him a gift from a vacation a few months ago. And 4.I don't know what to get him because he has so much stuff already. Should I be expected to give a gift? Is it a big deal not to?
You're right, no point in the birthday present at that age....unless the parents need it.

Some Moms live to bug. It's your call, not hers.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:26 AM

19,213 posts, read 15,074,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I read the OP 3 times and nowhere did I see anything about not getting a gift because of the mom. In the 4 things listed, the mom isn't mentioned.
The OP is bitching about the mom telling him/her he/she should send something. That's what some posters are referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I am 34 and live across the country so I cannot attend my nephews 1st bday party. My mom keeps buggin me telling me I need to send a gift or card, but I didn't because 1. He isn't even old enough to understand what a gift is. 2. I was not attending the party. 3. I just mailed him a gift from a vacation a few months ago. And 4.I don't know what to get him because he has so much stuff already. Should I be expected to give a gift? Is it a big deal not to?
Quote:
One perspective is this: Did the child send the OP a gift on the OP's birthday? No? Well, then...
?????.....

Quote:
The kid is a baby. He doesn't know one gift from another and has no clue what a birthday or gift is.
Omg, I give up... It's your family. It's called good wishes. No, the baby isn't going to read the damn card. The parents will. It's celebrating their little 1-year-old child.

Geezus...

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 05-16-2016 at 04:41 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Wow.

I can't believe anyone is actually saying that the baby's not going to remember one way or another. I can't believe you people think it's actually just about the baby. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships