Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Not cheap! $50 PER DAY! Gone for 7 days thats $350 before tax. But that's included in the cost of our vacation. Can't afford to board the dog = can't afford to go on vacation. Tough pill to swallow, of course, but it is what it is.
We have two dogs. It would cost us $100 a day to board and extra for 'play time,' etc.
So we have a housesitter, which is $80 a day.

This is all local going rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
$30 to board?
$50 to board?

$10 a pet for housesitting?

Wow! Where do y'all live that the prices are that cheap!????!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Not cheap! $50 PER DAY! Gone for 7 days thats $350 before tax. But that's included in the cost of our vacation. Can't afford to board the dog = can't afford to go on vacation. Tough pill to swallow, of course, but it is what it is.
The OP said it was @ $25-30/day where she is, which I thought was absurdly cheap. But yes, where I'm from anything under 50 dollars a day is a steal. I'm not sure what the OP was expecting or if she did the proper research for her area.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Imo, when she didn't pack up the kids and go get the pets herself.
She said she is physically unable to drive that far due to pregnancy.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Your husband's a selfish jerk and you're a spineless wimp. From now on, pay professional boarders and quit being whiny little moochers.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
When it was pointed out with the trip to DW and walking around @ DW shows that she could have handle the drive (with breaks), she then admitted that she couldn't handle the logistics of the drive with 2 small kids and a dog, and that apparently her husband wouldn't watch the kids when she could've gone herself.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Was going to stay out of this thread bc a lot of my thoughts have been expressed - many times - but honestly, I'd feel like a cheapskate giving my parents $50 for all they did - it's just so wrong - when they clearly inconvenienced themselves so much and really went above and beyond - even more reason to give them a little extra and not less. Have dog sat for other ppl's dogs and while it went fine and the pet fee was discussed beforehand so that was never an issue, I can't say I wasn't happy when it was over - it is work and can be an inconvenience at times - and it was good to get back to normal.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The OP said it was @ $25-30/day where she is, which I thought was absurdly cheap. But yes, where I'm from anything under 50 dollars a day is a steal. I'm not sure what the OP was expecting or if she did the proper research for her area.
I generally pay around $17-$25 per day, per dog, depending on which vet clinic I use. There's usually a discount for the second and third dogs. I'd have a heart attack if it was $50 a day per dog. Looking around, most kennels in my area charge less than $30. It gets very expensive if you have multiple dogs, but I've had to do it in the past when we went on vacation for six days. We boarded our parrot at a different place and they only charged us $100 for the entire stay.

My parents are now able to visit us, and they drive 500 miles to come and stay at our house and take care of our zoo (three dogs, cat and parrot), and they won't accept money from us. We bring them gifts and do as much for them as we can the rest of the year, and everyone agrees that it evens out. However, my parents are HUGE animal lovers. They love our pets, and they bring their own dog when they come. It is a nice chance for them to get away from home and go on a vacation of their own.

Personally, I think the husband is most at fault for acting like a spoiled brat. However, OP is also at fault for not standing up to him, and for allowing her parents to be taken advantage of. There are obviously MUCH bigger issues in the marriage, but you both owe your parents an apology. I don't care that it was a year ago...APOLOGIZE!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
No, she said she'd have to stop often. It was less than ideal but not impossible.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I guesss I'm just a lot slower than everyone else here because I don't think I'm going to "get it" unless somebody helps me:
At what point during the events did OP earn some blame for the imposition on her mother?

This is a sincere question.
When she made all the arrangements. The relationship between the mother and husband would obviously preclude them from making the arrangements without the wife brokering the deal.

The wife really appears to be getting off easy by the majority of posters when she was steering the ship.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
But she's able to fly to Disney? Sounds like the discomfort only arises when she's being put out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships