Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, your husband is a selfish, self-absorbed, ungrateful jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 03:20 PM

993 posts, read 766,406 times
The fact that you're arguing about this a year later is an indication that there are other issues in your marriage. A stint of marriage counseling is in order, I think.

I'm sorry but the way you presented this story......your husband sounds controlling and petty and it made me wonder if you often take the path of least resistance to prevent him from blowing up. C'mon.....a year later and he's still bitter about 50 bucks? Something isn't right......

Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
OP: Of course you are still arguing about it a year later. You know your husband is in the wrong but he will not admit it and you are between a rock (husband) and a hard place (parents).

Has your husband shown such "entitlement" before this event?
You, who are/were pregnant with your 3rd child, went to Disney and left your parents to handle your pets. As previous poster commented you really can't plead "varicose" if you spent days at Disney (I've been there-brutal amount of standing in line- not for the physically un-abled). But I'm not blaming you, you should not have been the one to retrieve your pets in a car for 3 hours, your husband should have been the one.

Obviously your lives are maxxed out with multiple children and pets. Your husband justified his actions in his mind that since your parents were coming anyway it would save him a trip picking them up .Where he failed was asking them in person on the phone and being thankful they helped you both out.

That's the whole problem.
Hope your lives don't continue to be so rude to people (your parents0 that can be so supportive.
You need to speak up when your spouse does the wrong thing. Are you afraid to do that?
$50 gift card is insulting. People want to be respected.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM

953 posts, read 842,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
In my opinion, your husband is a selfish, self-absorbed, ungrateful jerk.
That is another vote against the husband. If this sentiment keeps up, he may soon find himself in the doghouse.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Your husband is the unloving and selfish one. It was a really poor idea to plan for a pet sitter that's a 3 hour drive away, especially when only one of you is able to make the drive. But, since that's what you planned, the pick up day should have been planned before the trip. The day after getting home from DW, your husband should have driven to get the pets. That should have been established at the beginning.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:07 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Your husband sounds extremely immature and entitled and like he needs a good kick in the rear. I wonder how he would react if the shoe was on the other (his) foot. And no, being "loving parents" does not mean being doormats and happily submitting to being used/abused/taken advantage of as the "kids" see fit. He needs to learn some respect.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:57 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMH123 View Post

Vacation at Disney was less than relaxing and we got into several arguments. While driving home, my husband said he thought it was stupid for him to get the pets & my parents should bring them back to us during the birthday party.
It's interesting that you mention arguing at Disney. To me, that indicates that your husband's unilateral decision to not go get the pets may have been spiteful on his part to get back at you for some reason. Is he generally a vindictive person?

IMHO you had an agreement with your parents, maybe not the ideal plan, but a plan that your husband reneged on. And he is blaming your parents for being angry, instead of accepting the fact that he changed the plan even though 3 of 4 adults involved felt his decision was the wrong one.

That sounds just like my ex-husband. After 26 years, I'm still waiting for him to mature into an adult who can put the needs of others in front of his own AND take ownership of his decisions AND stop blaming others for things that are his fault, or even things that are no one's fault. He still lacks the ability to make a simple apology.

The reason the arguing at Disney caught my attention was we argued on every vacation we ever took. I'd get excited and chatter like a magpie, and he'd become more morose and sullen with every step. It was like Bert and Ernie on vacation. Eventually I realized that his travel anxiety caused him to attempt to gain control of every moment, and he blamed me for causing unexpected things to happen (it was all unexpected to him).

At this point it should be water under the bridge. I don't know what to tell you about getting past this. I guess if I knew what would work I wouldn't be divorced!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:24 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
It's a huge imposition to take care of pets for someone. People get paid good money to be petsitters.
Your husband is in the wrong. I can see why your parents were peeved by this.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:46 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Any time someone does a favor for you, you need to adhere to their terms. Your husband needs to learn that rule.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
The good news: you will probably not face this type of problem again because your parents hopefully learned NEVER to do that type of favor again. They now know it will backfire on them that they were nice.

The bad news: you are married to a selfish jerk.....AND you proceeded to have three children with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships